SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Postby bikentransit » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:42 pm

Odd that a pay per trip card couldn't have been deployed by now. It sounds like all that was accomplished so far was the deployment of an RFID version of the transpass. What does the currently deployed KEY for early adopters do that the transpasses didn't do?
bikentransit

Postby MichaelBug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:43 am

At this point, the early Key adopters are able to register (for protection against loss) & refill (add new weekly or monthly TransPasses, or the One Day Convenience Pass): online, in real time. There's also a feature that lists every trip taken by date/time, location, vehicle # or station, & whether the trip is considered a base fare or a transfer. (Of course, since only passes can currently be loaded on Keys, each transfer transaction is counted at $0.00.) Somewhat oddly, the tracking feature does not show the route # of the vehicle. (As an example, it can tell you that you boarded bus 5403'at Garrett Rd. & Morgan Ave. in Drexel Hill, at 12:34 pm on Thursday, 7/21/16. But it won't tell you that you were riding Route 107.)
MichaelBug

Postby octr202 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:11 am

Wouldn't knowing the route # of the vehicle be essential to the system for transfers, or are transfers valid to board another vehicle on the same route? Just knowing the location can't be enough if they're route-specific, as you could easily get off one route and on another at the same location.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby sammy2009 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:41 pm

The trip activity does show the vehicle number. It doesn't show the route number. For instance I take the 50 from Frankford Terminal and it shows "Frankford Terminal Rts 14 & 20". It shows the mode "Tracked Trolley" x "Bus" x "Subway" but there is points in the key system that is designated in some particular way.
sammy2009

Postby ExCon90 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:58 pm

I see that prison bars have been installed at University City in anticipation of the Miracle Of The Turnstiles.
ExCon90

Postby jackintosh11 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Turnstiles have been installed at University City, the secondary entrance has HEETs (which currently are left unlocked), the main entrance has a large turnstile bank, though the turnstile arms aren't in yet.
jackintosh11

Postby ExCon90 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Are the turnstiles at street level? And what are HEETs?
ExCon90

Postby jackintosh11 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 am

They're at platform level, High Entrance Exit Turnstiles, meaning high turnstile gates (like the exit only ones on the subway) that can go either way.
jackintosh11

Postby ExCon90 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks--hard to keep up with the acronyms nowadays.
I can see some problems with pileups at the foot of the stairway. I hope they know what they're doing, obsessed as they seem to be with turnstiles.
ExCon90

Postby JeffK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:17 pm

ExCon90 wrote:I can see some problems with pileups at the foot of the stairway.

True that. A lot of us have raised concerns about pileups, esp. during heavy-demand times like concerts, games, etc. when they get more passengers who aren't regular riders, but the suits at 1234 seem unconcerned.

I hope they know what they're doing ...

Given how rocky the Key rollout's been on the transit side, I'm not all that confident about the RRD.

... obsessed as they seem to be with turnstiles.

Turnstiles are a symptom rather than a goal in themselves. They're the most obvious symbol of management's fixation with trying to drive fare leakage down to zero. Rather than going with a leakier but much simpler system (e.g. some form of POP) SEPTA's decided to add multiple layers of fare-checking that'll inconvenience riders and cost more to operate ... "Collect the last dime, every time."
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...
JeffK

Postby bikentransit » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:14 pm

If reducing fare evasion was the major goal of Key, then it's already a complete failure. Evaders on the city side have already figured out that they can carry 2 key cards. One with no balance on it and play dumb at the farebox, and another for getting through subway turnstiles (if they even ride it). There is no policing of fare evasion on the streets, and the operator is more or less powerless to do much about it under existing authority policies.
bikentransit

Postby dcipjr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 am

ExCon90 wrote:Thanks--hard to keep up with the acronyms nowadays.
I can see some problems with pileups at the foot of the stairway. I hope they know what they're doing, obsessed as they seem to be with turnstiles.

I've raised these concerns myself on here a number of times, with less-than-fond memories of trying to get into PATCO's 8th and Market while seemingly the entire state of New Jersey was trying to get out.

With that said, though, they've had the ticket collectors at the top of the stairs for a while now, and it hasn't ever prevented me from getting down to the platform quickly. Plus, given the recent state of Suburban Station, maybe making part of the concourse a paid area isn't such a terrible idea.
dcipjr

Postby loufah » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 am

I've been using the stored value version of the card for a few weeks, but on Sunday the reader on a 101 out of Media declined my card. It declined my spouse's card, too. The operator said to try again, but they were still declined. Luckily I carry tokens, too. When I got to 69th Street, I used the readers there. One card was indeed out of money, but the other had 8$ on it.

Sometimes the boarding of a trolley gets registered as a boarding of a bus (110 or 111) which has a stop one block away. This has screwed up the way the system infers transfers, usually in my favor but sometimes not.

Is it worth phoning SEPTA about this? I imagine their reps' time would be better spent helping stranded riders than listening to incidents of glitches.
loufah

Addressing the problems and kinks of SEPTA Key...

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:42 am

http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/07/ ... ks-website

Yet another article/posting bemoaning the problems and concerns surrounding the current state of the SEPTA Key card. To summarize, managers have been allegedly presented with some solutions and suggestions, and they seem to be getting around to implementing some improvements--but is this a case of "too little, too late"..."
JeffersonLeeEng

Postby zebrasepta » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:09 pm

SEPTA seems to be testing out SEPTA key for regional rail this winter and there's other news about "improvements" on OTP which is just a lot of padding they added to the schedule...
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... 71103.html
In August and September, Regional Rail operated with a 90 percent on-time rates for two consecutive months for the first time since the beginning of 2015. But although precise figures weren’t available, new preliminary numbers show that streak ended in October. People struck by trains, equipment failures for both Amtrak and SEPTA, and the aftermath of Sunday’s heavy rainstorm that took down branches and rail-bedeviling wet leaves, all played a role in hobbling service.

SEPTA introduced Key to subway, bus, and trolley users this spring and plans to start an early adopter program for Regional Rail users this winter, Knueppel said. A full roll-out for all rail riders is planned for 2018.
zebrasepta

PreviousNext

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)