SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Postby jamesinclair » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm

I am going to Philly tomorrow. I plan on purchasing my tickets from an NJT machine and transfer in Trenton to Septa. I hope they let me get off downtown.
jamesinclair

Postby Head-end View » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 pm

You won't have a problem. There is no restriction on exiting thru the new turnstiles. :-D
Head-end View

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am

I got off at Jefferson and exited through the emergency exit gate, which was propped open. No staff was around. Surprised to see that the station had turnstiles but no fare machines.
jamesinclair

OP/ED: The SEPTA Key system punishes poor commuters

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:33 pm

http://www2.philly.com/philly/opinion/c ... 81119.html

Another OP/ED article...

A majority of SEPTA riders live outside of Center City and ride a bus, making it tough to find loading zones. SEPTA has offered an alternative to in-person loading — registering your card to an online account, where you can add money with a debit or credit card. But that's hard for un- or under-banked Philadelphians, who make up an estimated 28 percent of the city[.]
[...]
These commuters who can't conveniently purchase or reload their Key cards end up having to pay more. The Key cost is $2 per ride, while the cash fare is $2.50, a 25 percent increase. The surcharge for a transfer is even higher, at 150 percent. It's $1 with a Key card, $2.50 without. If riders don't own a Key card, or have too low a balance, they have to pay $2.50 for the first ride plus an additional $2.50 for the connecting. A Key card rider pays $6 for a round trip, while a cash rider pays $10.
JeffersonLeeEng

Postby Ryand-Smith » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm

I feel like if they had say an app with NFC which both iOS and Android support via Apple Pay and Android Pay/Samsung Pay it wouldn't be bad as most modern phones support NFC (and I mean 4 year old iPhone SEs do and the S7 does), which means it would be great to say make a virtual Key card that you can put money on. They should have partnered with check cashing places to give them a supply of key cards and a basic loader (I could literally make one with an NFC reader, a 100 dollar android tablet, and internet access), and give them out to check cashing places which have late hours so you can say cash your check, load your Key card or use the App to make a virtual key card to pay.

An easy technical problem to solve.
Ryand-Smith

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 am

Ryand-Smith wrote:They should have partnered with check cashing places to give them a supply of key cards and a basic loader (I could literally make one with an NFC reader, a 100 dollar android tablet, and internet access), and give them out to check cashing places which have late hours so you can say cash your check, load your Key card [...]

^^^This!

All the SEPTA Key is basically a piece of plastic with an RFID chip inside. All the major hotel companies have had this tech to be able to program and load a simple account access structure on such a card. But apparently somewhere high-up on the dev/ops chain, somebody never took the end-user into account.

They key card interface toward the consumer still does not give pertinent info/access like...

* Remaining balance for "Travel Wallet" transactions.

* Indication of what type of fare product is currently loaded.

* An ability to make any sort of quick, on-board transactions.

It's like all testing concerns were ignored before public consumption. And apparently, the Key is *STILL* a work-in-progress. :(
JeffersonLeeEng

Postby dcipjr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01 am

Is there any ETA on when the Key will be able to do trips on the Regional Rail?
dcipjr

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

dcipjr wrote:Is there any ETA on when the Key will be able to do trips on the Regional Rail?

Zone 1 and 2 trailpasses aren't even able to be loaded on a Key card yet--only zone 3 and 4/Anywhere so far. Travel Wallet use on rail seems like a distant pipe dream at this point. I hear you can add an Independence Pass on the card, but it's only via the currently clunky website. :-/
JeffersonLeeEng

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)