Franklin Square reopening? Not any time soon.

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Franklin Square reopening? Not any time soon.

Postby radioboy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/02/ ... ver-reopen

In an email conversation, DRPA Director of Communications Timothy Ireland would say little more than, “A number of times over the years PATCO has conducted cost/benefit analyses, and we’ve concluded every time that the station would not generate enough ridership to justify the cost of reopening.”

When asked for more specific information on the cost of reopening the station and ridership projections, Ireland said, “PATCO is preoccupied with more pressing matters.”

So much for DRPA's own words in 2009
http://www.drpa.org/news/news.asp?param ... &Archive=1

The Delaware River Port Authority Commissioners have approved spending up to $500,000 to hire a professional design consultant to begin work to reopen the PATCO Franklin Square Station in Philadelphia.
-CW
radioboy

Re: Franklin Square reopening? Not any time soon.

Postby FatPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Different board chairs at DRPA.
FatPants

Postby Patrick Boylan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:22 pm

How do you know they went back on their word? Are you saying they didn't spend $500,000 to hire a professional design consultant?
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby FatPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

I think they spent about $50k like 5 years ago to look into the structural challenges and anticipated ridership impacts of reopening the station. This analysis basically updated DRPA's understanding of what would be involved in reopening it. The $500k was on a list of projects, both transportation and non-transportation, that disappeared when the authority stepped away from spending on economic development projects.
FatPants

Postby tgolanos » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Looks like it got an impromptu re-opening this evening rush:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... uters.html

Monday’s evening rush hour, some passengers were evacuated to the closed Franklin Square Station beneath Old City before being placed on another train to continue their eastbound trip...
Następny przystanek: Warszawa Centralna.
tgolanos

Postby dcipjr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 am

Philly.com reports that PATCO is once again considering reopening Franklin Square station.

Personally, I will believe it when I see it, but it appears that the project is not dead yet.
dcipjr

Postby Clearfield » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:44 pm

dcipjr wrote:Philly.com reports that PATCO is once again considering reopening Franklin Square station.

Personally, I will believe it when I see it, but it appears that the project is not dead yet.

DRPA has so many problems with PATCO this would seem to be a lower priority than having cars and infrastructure that actually GET to Franklin Square.

As bizarre as it sounds, IMHO SEPTA would be a better operator for PATCO, especially if the connection at 8th st was restored.

PATCO is so bad they already contracted SEPTA to perform their escalator maintenance.
"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".............. Spock

My opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of any organization, Association, or Authority.
Clearfield

Postby ExCon90 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:57 pm

I wondered about that. PATCO had a maintenance contract with a fixed expiration date, and when the date rolled around, no one at PATCO had arranged for continued maintenance? It would seem there must be a backstory to that, if we only knew what it was.
ExCon90

Postby radioboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:03 pm

dcipjr wrote:Philly.com reports that PATCO is once again considering reopening Franklin Square station.

Another $500,000 study which nothing will become of.

See you all in 5 more years.
-CW
radioboy

Postby SubwayTim » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Clearfield wrote:

DRPA has so many problems with PATCO this would seem to be a lower priority than having cars and infrastructure that actually GET to Franklin Square.

As bizarre as it sounds, IMHO SEPTA would be a better operator for PATCO, especially if the connection at 8th st was restored.

PATCO is so bad they already contracted SEPTA to perform their escalator maintenance.

The only major problem I see if SEPTA was to take over operation of PATCO, would be anytime there is a strike by TWU Local 234, PATCO would also likely shut down. At least now whenever there is a SEPTA strike, PATCO continues to operate into the city, providing at least *some* transit service within Philly during a strike.
You take the midnight subway train...You're calling all the shots...You're struck by lightning...You're in love. RATT, 1985
SubwayTim

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:13 pm

What union do the PATCO employees belong to?
ExCon90

Postby SCB2525 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Also TWU234. Different contracts obviously.
SCB2525

Postby prr60 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:28 pm

SCB2525 wrote:Also TWU234. Different contracts obviously.

I believe PATCO represented employees belong to Teamsters Local 676.
prr60

Postby TWTRTECH » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:30 pm

prr60 wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:Also TWU234. Different contracts obviously.

I believe PATCO represented employees belong to Teamsters Local 676.

Also I believe the PATCO union has a no strike clause, and working without a contract the last three years.
TWTRTECH

Postby BuddCar711 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 pm

TWTRTECH wrote:Also I believe the PATCO union has a no strike clause, and working without a contract the last three years.

Actually transit workers are prohibited by state law (New Jersey) to strike.
BuddCar711

Next

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)