Independence pass on AM peak trains...

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: Independence pass on AM peak trains...

Postby Limited-Clear » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Confused here thought I was going to read about an independence pass, opened the link and it's nothing to do with Ind passes and morning peak trains
The managers in their ivory tower know more and more about less and less, and end up knowing everything about *&$% all
Limited-Clear

Postby kiha40 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Incidentally, this week I heard a passenger ask a station attendant what the definition of "peak" is, I assume this was in the context of the Independence Pass. After a few seconds of "umm..." I went out to wait for the train :-)
kiha40

Postby Silverliner II » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:59 am

kiha40 wrote:Incidentally, this week I heard a passenger ask a station attendant what the definition of "peak" is, I assume this was in the context of the Independence Pass. After a few seconds of "umm..." I went out to wait for the train :-)

Pretty much because "peak" no longer exists on SEPTA trains. There are the regular fares, and then the "evening/weekend" fares (which apply from 7pm to the end of service on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays).
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Postby Clearfield » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Silverliner II wrote:Pretty much because "peak" no longer exists on SEPTA trains. There are the regular fares, and then the "evening/weekend" fares (which apply from 7pm to the end of service on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays).

There is a 'pseudo peak' when it comes to Independence Passes. They aren't usable until 9:30am unless you're going to the airport from CC.
"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".............. Spock

My opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of any organization, Association, or Authority.
Clearfield

Postby diburning » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:15 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this site seems to encourage this instead of starting a new one.

I haven't been on SEPTA since 2010. I'm visiting Philly in October, and will be getting on at the Airport. If I buy an independence pass online now, will it still be valid in October if unused? I vaguely remember the pass being a large card with all of the months and days, and the conductor punches the month and day upon first use. I also vaguely remember that I can't buy one at the Airport unless I pay for one on board, and then exchange it at a ticket office for an actual pass. Is any of this still the case?

Also, on the SEPTA website, it says:

Not valid on Regional Rail trains arriving Center City Philadelphia weekdays before 9:30 a.m. However, the Independence Pass is valid at any time on Airport Line Regional Rail trains.

Does this mean that if I board at the Airport before 9:30AM I can still use an Independence Pass to get into Center City? Or is the exception for the pass for one direction (towards the airport) only?
diburning

Postby mcgrath618 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 am

diburning wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this site seems to encourage this instead of starting a new one.

I haven't been on SEPTA since 2010. I'm visiting Philly in October, and will be getting on at the Airport. If I buy an independence pass online now, will it still be valid in October if unused? I vaguely remember the pass being a large card with all of the months and days, and the conductor punches the month and day upon first use. I also vaguely remember that I can't buy one at the Airport unless I pay for one on board, and then exchange it at a ticket office for an actual pass. Is any of this still the case?

Also, on the SEPTA website, it says:

Not valid on Regional Rail trains arriving Center City Philadelphia weekdays before 9:30 a.m. However, the Independence Pass is valid at any time on Airport Line Regional Rail trains.

Does this mean that if I board at the Airport before 9:30AM I can still use an Independence Pass to get into Center City? Or is the exception for the pass for one direction (towards the airport) only?

You can indeed buy a pass and keep it on you, unused, until you use it (as long as it doesn't expire. I think it does after 180 days but I may be mistaken).
You also can indeed use it on an Airport line train at any time of day in any direction.
mcgrath618

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:31 am

DIB: Independence Passes are valid for a period of two to three years depending on the years
that are on the lower left corner on the front of the pass. Example: I have one unused I Pass
that I purchased back in June 2017 that has the years 2017-2018 noted meaning that it will
be valid until the end of 2018.

It is a good idea to purchase an I Pass before your trip to save yourself the hassle of having to
go to one of the Center City ticket offices and exchange a cash fare receipt for the actual I Pass.

The only two restrictions are using an I Pass weekdays on Regional Rail in which they are not valid
until after 9:30 AM going through Center City as mentioned with the exception of the Airport Line
where they are valid at all times. There is no AM Peak restriction to use an I Pass on any other
transit vehicle. The other one is that they are not valid to Zone NJ: Trenton and West Trenton.
A surcharge of $5 extra each trip will apply for any RRD travel to either of these two stations.
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Hal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm

The conductors on the inbound Lansdale/Doylestown line usually have a stack of Independance Passes on them.
After they're used up they switch to the cash fare receipt.

I think the individual train tickets are good for 180 days or so.
Hal

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)