Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

Postby PublicService » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 pm

In case anybody is interested..
PATCO posted some photos of the re-build.
http://www.ridepatco.org/about/projects_car.html

No real news just the photos.
PublicService

Re: Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

Postby BuddCar711 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm wondering, will the Budd cars keep the skirting, or will lose the skirting to keep uniformity with the Vickers?
BuddCar711

Postby South Jersey Budd » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Nice, they can't come soon enough. Riding from the city to NJ last week the current cars interiors and seats are very worn.
South Jersey Budd

Postby ReadingAve » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm

The pictures are nice but does anyone know when the first cars are expected to return to the system?
ReadingAve

Postby BuddCar711 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm

From what I've understand (I'm being optimistic on this), the first cars should be due back in May of this year.
BuddCar711

Postby nomis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm

BuddCar711 wrote:I'm wondering, will the Budd cars keep the skirting, or will lose the skirting to keep uniformity with the Vickers?

The skirting is structural ...
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby South Jersey Budd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 pm

The PATCO website has nothing new about the rebuilt cars re-entering service and the last date I remember hearing was July. Did I miss a story the says they are delayed? I have not been on PATCO since May.
South Jersey Budd

Postby sammy2009 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 am

PATCO just should have got new cars. I didn't really care for them for the re-build. They need something fitting for the current era. The PATCO fleet could look much more attractive.
sammy2009

Postby ReadingAve » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 am

I got an e-mail from them (I'm on their e-mail news list) around 2 weeks ago saying the first car should be back late September (IIRC). They mentioned the car number (I forgot it) but I was curious if it was half of a married pair that would still need its mate to ride the rails or if it could couple to an appropriate older mate.

Has anyone heard if the single cars will be rebuilt as singles as well or converted to married pairs?
ReadingAve

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 pm

ReadingAve wrote:They mentioned the car number (I forgot it) but I was curious if it was half of a married pair that would still need its mate to ride the rails or if it could couple to an appropriate older mate.

If the rebuilt cars are AC, I'm not sure if they can couple to the unrebuilt DC traction cars.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby prr60 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ReadingAve wrote:They mentioned the car number (I forgot it) but I was curious if it was half of a married pair that would still need its mate to ride the rails or if it could couple to an appropriate older mate.

If the rebuilt cars are AC, I'm not sure if they can couple to the unrebuilt DC traction cars.

The rebuilt cars will have DC traction. The traction motors and trucks are not part of the rebuild project. Regardless, the marrying a rebuilt and an un-rebuilt car will not happen, nor will they mix rebuilt and un-rebuilt cars in the same train. I doubt the electronics and controls will permit that.
prr60

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:14 pm

prr60 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:

The rebuilt cars will have DC traction. The traction motors and trucks are not part of the rebuild project. Regardless, the marrying a rebuilt and an un-rebuilt car will not happen, nor will they mix rebuilt and un-rebuilt cars in the same train. I doubt the electronics and controls will permit that.

That is interesting. It appears PATCO will be the last transportation agency in North America to remain DC traction. I assumed the DC cars were to be rebuilt into AC, as DC systems are now "obsolete". Since the PATCO cars will remain DC, are the GE DC electrical systems being fully remanufactured? Neither GE or Bombardier (successor to Westinghouse transportation division) offer new DC equipment.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby BuddCar711 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:00 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:That is interesting. It appears PATCO will be the last transportation agency in North America to remain DC traction. I assumed the DC cars were to be rebuilt into AC, as DC systems are now "obsolete". Since the PATCO cars will remain DC, are the GE DC electrical systems being fully remanufactured? Neither GE or Bombardier (successor to Westinghouse transportation division) offer new DC equipment.

Well the cam controls are being chucked in favor of either a thyristor or IBGT. Most likely Vossloh will supply the controls. As far as the motors, they could be rebuilt into brushless. Also to add to the question, could regenetive braking work with a D.C. setup? As far as PATCO being the only D.C. line, the Broad Street Subway is still D.C..
BuddCar711

Postby Jersey_Mike » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:32 am

BuddCar711 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:That is interesting. It appears PATCO will be the last transportation agency in North America to remain DC traction. I assumed the DC cars were to be rebuilt into AC, as DC systems are now "obsolete". Since the PATCO cars will remain DC, are the GE DC electrical systems being fully remanufactured? Neither GE or Bombardier (successor to Westinghouse transportation division) offer new DC equipment.

Well the cam controls are being chucked in favor of either a thyristor or IBGT. Most likely Vossloh will supply the controls. As far as the motors, they could be rebuilt into brushless. Also to add to the question, could regenetive braking work with a D.C. setup? As far as PATCO being the only D.C. line, the Broad Street Subway is still D.C..

Don't forget that the 1988 built R68/68A subway cars are likely to remain DC throughout their lives. I've heard the 1994 vintage M-K CTA 3400 series could go either way.
Jersey_Mike

Postby South Jersey Budd » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:52 am

Looked at the PATCO site real quick and didn't see anything on the car delivery? Is this project delayed ? Anyone have any updates ?

The spring 2013 project list shows it at 15% complete but that's all I see after a quick look.
South Jersey Budd

Next

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)