Historical Discussion

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: Historical Discussion

Postby walt » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:48 pm

No problem. These 14 cars were built circa 1949 by the St. Louis Car Co using a variation of the pre-war PCC body ( no standee windows), with the 32 degree windshield slope and the "Chicago" Length ( to accommodate the second platform). They were my favorite Red Arrow Cars, though the 1941 Brilliners actually had a smoother ride. The Red Arrow ordered these cars from St. Louis after Brill declined to build more Brilliners when requested to do so by the Red Arrow.
Please Move to the Rear and Speed Your Ride
( Philadelphia Transportation Company)
walt

Postby andrethebusman » Tue May 12, 2015 5:03 pm

Looking for some date verification for SEPTA service past Paoli. I have following:

1/1/83 Cut back from Downingtown to Paoli

3/1/85 Resumed to Downingtown as Schulkill Xway Construction alternative

1989 sometime - Cut back to Paoli because of disagreement with Amtrak over fees

4/2/90 Resumed service to Downingtown, now extended to Parkesburg

11/10/96 Cut back to Downingtown again as too little riding past there to justify expense

Anybody verify the 1989-90 cuts and restorations?
andrethebusman

Postby philipmartin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 am

I live in northwestern Lehigh County, and one of my friends here, now deceased, got out of the navy in 1945 and got a job running interurban cars between Allentown and Philadelphia, for a short time. The company expected him to run his car full speed through fogged in crossings, so he quit.
philipmartin

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)