Best Place to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Best Place to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 am

I was wondering, where is the best place you can see the Toasters and/or ALP-44 if any are still in revenue service? I was unable to 901 last Friday and didn't see any Toasters @ Trenton that day either. Besides the Flyers, what expresses do they run on that I could see???

Thanks!
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby chuchubob » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:45 am

Coast Line Railfan wrote:I was wondering, where is the best place you can see the Toasters and/or ALP-44 if any are still in revenue service? I was unable to 901 last Friday and didn't see any Toasters @ Trenton that day either. Besides the Flyers, what expresses do they run on that I could see???

Thanks!

Push-pulls aren't currently running from/to Trenton.
I like North Broad for the morning peak. This is a June 8 post on the "AEM-7/ALP-44 status" thread.
chuchubob wrote:The morning AEM7 fleet at North Broad Friday morning:
2306
2303
2305
2304
2307
2302
chuchubob
 
Posts: 5997
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby ChesterValley » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 am

I don't know if the ALP-44 is still running, Judging by the camera at Frazer yard http://www.frazeryard.com/webcam.html, it looks like its been pulled out. As for the toasters I know there is typically one running the Paoli Limited into and out of Center City, train 9538 and train 9559
One day the Railroad will come back, we cannot give up hope

"What even are trains but bigger buses?" - SEPTA, probably
ChesterValley
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm
Location: The Main Line

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:51 am

Ah yes. I did get some good V action though ;). (The Paoli/Thorndale Line is pretty obvious) but if I went to say Glenside, is it a good spot? I would like to avoid the gamble of North Philly aa much aa possible)
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:25 am

It does appear to be that 2308 is OOS. I also see some more Sprinters parked near her :(
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby bikentransit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Is the ALP44 that bad off that it's being pulled?
bikentransit
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 am
Location: Bristol, PA

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 pm

bikentransit wrote:Is the ALP44 that bad off that it's being pulled?


Well now that 901 is here, they can pull 2308 out and repair or dispose of her.
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Best Places to see AEM7s and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Coast Line Railfan wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Is the ALP44 that bad off that it's being pulled?


Well now that 901 is here, they can pull 2308 out and repair or dispose of her.


CLR and BNT: Yes-2308 may be the "odd one out" in this case into early retirement if there are
significant issues that will sideline SEPTA's only (and the last one in service with the retirement
of NJT's entire ALP44 fleet in case anyone is unaware) ALP44 locomotive.

On the topic of best places to watch SEPTA RRD trains a good one is adjacent to the 20th Street
Portal alongside JFK Boulevard during the AM or PM Peak hours. I remember that there was some
construction in the vicinity restricting access to this area - has that been completed?

North Broad Street - as Chuchubob notes - is another good location to watch for the motors. What
one will miss at NBS are push-pull trains terminating at Suburban Station on either tracks 5-6-7.
Good idea to go out and find them now - the SEPTA AEM7 and ALP44 motors days are numbered...
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX
 
Posts: 3754
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby CNJGeep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Coast Line Railfan wrote:Glenside, is it a good spot?

Yes, if you want to see 0 push-pulls

ChesterValley wrote:I don't know if the ALP-44 is still running...

I wouldn't choose that hill to die on.

ChesterValley wrote:Train 9538 and train 9559

901 is the dedicated power for 9538. 9559 is good for a Toaster.

MACTRAXX wrote:On the topic of best places to watch SEPTA RRD trains a good one is adjacent to the 20th Street
Portal alongside JFK Boulevard during the AM or PM Peak hours. I remember that there was some
construction in the vicinity restricting access to this area - has that been completed?

No. In fact, the area has grown in to a rather shocking degree.

bikentransit wrote:Is the ALP44 that bad off that it's being pulled?

Yes, but it is nominally a spare and *could* be used if times were hard enough.
"Nobody wins unless everybody wins."
CNJGeep
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby boomer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Tonight 2308 sleeps. Still runs. Been serving as a switcher.
Attachments
tmp_IMG_20180719_212738314081599.jpg
boomer
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:16 am

CNJGeep wrote:
Coast Line Railfan wrote:Glenside, is it a good spot?

Yes, if you want to see 0 push-pulls

ChesterValley wrote:I don't know if the ALP-44 is still running...

I wouldn't choose that hill to die

ChesterValley wrote:Train 9538 and train 9559

901 is the dedicated power for 9538. 9559 is good for a Toaster.

MACTRAXX wrote:On the topic of best places to watch SEPTA RRD trains a good one is adjacent to the 20th Street
Portal alongside JFK Boulevard during the AM or PM Peak hours. I remember that there was some
construction in the vicinity restricting access to this area - has that been completed?

No. In fact, the area has grown in to a rather shocking degree.

bikentransit wrote:Is the ALP44 that bad off that it's being pulled?

Yes, but it is nominally a spare and *could* be used if times were hard enough.


OOPS lol. I meant Jenkintown-Wyncote and the WTR Line. Don't know my Reading sode of the system ;). I pretty keen on Temeple U and if not that, 30th Street.
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby CNJGeep » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 am

Only the two West Trenton sets go through Jenkintown in the morning and evening. The only place in the afternoon to see all of the push-pulls is 30th Street. In the Morning, any Center City station will work.
"Nobody wins unless everybody wins."
CNJGeep
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby boomer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:23 pm

2308 will be in service beginning tomorrow morning.
boomer
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:39 pm

boomer wrote:2308 will be in service beginning tomorrow morning.


Good to know. Thanks!
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Best Plqce to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

Postby Coast Line Railfan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:38 pm

On the webcam, 2302 or 2306 (I forget) has been swapped out for 2308.
Coast Line Railfan
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Next

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests