New Dinky to Nassau Street

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

Re: New Dinky to Nassau Street

Postby Dcell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:07 pm

So will the Dinky get double decker self propelled cars now that NJT has ordered them? Or is trackless trolley still possible as the TMA promotes?
Dcell

Postby andrewjw » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:36 pm

The MLV III power cars will not be cabs - so they will have to run three cars minimum. It is possible they will do this, leaving one or two of the cars closed. Also possible, they might run one or two coaches and an older diesel - no electric requirement.

A YouTube commenter claimed their NJT police friend told them a small fleet of Arrows (12) would be kept around - I don't consider this a reliable source, but this is another possible option to continue operating.
andrewjw

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm

A three car Multilevel MU set would definately cover the Dinky, assuming that it's not cut. I'm sure that on certain days like weekend days, at least one of the cars will be closed off. The Dinky still sees healthy ridership though.

I don't think a diesel locomotive will operate on the Dinky because of something with the bridge over the Delaware & Raritan Canal. The right of way is meant for MUs anyway. If NJT can keep a few Arrow IIIs that are in good enough shape to continue operating for longer, than that would be good. While many Arrow IIIs are in poor shape, there are probably multiple ones that still ride quite well.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby pateljones » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Two cars make up a Dinky. One double decker provides the same approximately number of seats. It would be wasteful to have 3 double deckers to form one Dinky train. But Princeton will demand new trains that other lines will receive. What to do?
pateljones

Postby andrewjw » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:51 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:A three car Multilevel MU set would definately cover the Dinky, assuming that it's not cut. I'm sure that on certain days like weekend days, at least one of the cars will be closed off. The Dinky still sees healthy ridership though.

I don't think a diesel locomotive will operate on the Dinky because of something with the bridge over the Delaware & Raritan Canal. The right of way is meant for MUs anyway. If NJT can keep a few Arrow IIIs that are in good enough shape to continue operating for longer, than that would be good. While many Arrow IIIs are in poor shape, there are probably multiple ones that still ride quite well.

They run with only one of the two Arrows open except during the University's Reunions (one week per year).
andrewjw

Postby lensovet » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Who knows, maybe the folks who were saying that LRV operation is loony will finally realize that it's not a bad alternative at all.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby pateljones » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:54 pm

lensovet wrote:Who knows, maybe the folks who were saying that LRV operation is loony will finally realize that it's not a bad alternative at all.

I quite agree. Question - has an active heavy rail passenger service ever been converted to light rail passenger service anywhere in the USofA? I think passengers would not care if the Dinky switched to light rail, especially since the ride is only a few minutes. But will those of us who favor heavy rail have a problem with converting the Dinky to light rail??
pateljones

Postby lensovet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:11 pm

The Northern Branch extension of the HBLR is exactly that.
Paul Borokhov

lensovet

Postby Patrick Boylan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:14 pm

lensovet, pateljones asked about active passenger. What was the active passenger service that HBLR replaced?
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm

I agree that if the Dinky were converted to light rail operation, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all. If there is a way for it to get extended into Downtown Princeton, that would be good. If the Princeton Branch were to ever turn into a light rail route, it might not be a bad idea to build a station at Rt. 1 where you could connect to multiple buses.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby The EGE » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Two locations in Boston have had such conversion. In 1929, two Old Colony Railroad branches were converted to a heavy rail extension and a streetcar feeder line (now the Ashmont Branch and Ashmont-Mattapan Line). In 1959, the Boston & Albany Railroad Highland Branch was converted to a streetcar line (now the Green Line "D" Branch).
The EGE

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 pm

In Montreal, the Deux-Montagnes commuter rail line is going to be converted into light rail and that's as part the plan to provide better connectivity from Downtown Montreal to the South Shore and West Island. Of course, the NJT Princeton Branch is a fraction of the Deux-Montagnes commuter rail line.

Septa ought to look into converting some of their regional rail lines into light rail. The two that come to mind are the Chestnut Hill Branches because they obviously terminate right in Philadelphia.

Getting back to the Princeton Branch, even if it were to ever get converted to a light rail line, I would probably suggest not running it past Downtown Princeton.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby amtrakowitz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 am

lensovet wrote:Who knows, maybe the folks who were saying that LRV operation is loony will finally realize that it's not a bad alternative at all.

And how much money would be spent on this "alternative" that isn't even under consideration?
amtrakowitz

Postby lensovet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 am

amtrakowitz wrote:

And how much money would be spent on this "alternative" that isn't even under consideration?

high-platform LRVs exist. how much money would be needed to buy 4 cars? how much money would be needed to continue running decaying Arrow sets or running a ridiculous 3-car MLVIII set instead?
Paul Borokhov

lensovet

Postby pateljones » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am

lensovet wrote:
amtrakowitz wrote:[
high-platform LRVs exist. how much money would be needed to buy 4 cars? how much money would be needed to continue running decaying Arrow sets or running a ridiculous 3-car MLVIII set instead?

Yes, you understand this perfectly. Less costly and more frequent service will result by converting the Zdinky to light rail. But I fear the railroad union will object most vociferously as the Dinky run is a most coveted assignment.
pateljones

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT