New Dinky to Nassau Street

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

Re: New Dinky to Nassau Street

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Where would you get the 750vDC, and where would you service the LRVs?

A high platform vehicle isn’t necessary and would make a Princeton extension much more costly re: platform construction. Better to raise the railbed ~3 1/2 feet at Princeton Junction and the University, since it isn’t that expensive (it’s just a bunch of ballast) and still allows for level boarding.
mtuandrew

Postby lensovet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 pm

mtuandrew wrote:Where would you get the 750vDC, and where would you service the LRVs?

A high platform vehicle isn’t necessary and would make a Princeton extension much more costly re: platform construction. Better to raise the railbed ~3 1/2 feet at Princeton Junction and the University, since it isn’t that expensive (it’s just a bunch of ballast) and still allows for level boarding.

SFMUNI runs LRVs that support both high level and street level boarding.

Flexity Swift units have been built supporting 15 kV @ 16.7 Hz. I'm sure between Siemens/Bombardier/whoever a unit can be found that will support the NEC catenary. Once you have that in place, arrangements could probably be made to run these units down the corridor to Morrisville or County yards…
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm

lensovet wrote:Flexity Swift units have been built supporting 15 kV @ 16.7 Hz.

I did not know that. Seems expensive and impractical for a single short line, which means NJT has already ordered four :P

lensovet wrote:Once you have that in place, arrangements could probably be made to run these units down the corridor to Morrisville or County yards…

That “probably” is doing a lot of work to hold up that sentence :wink:

Noted on the high/low floor equipment, though I have doubts that their equipment is accessible within the car (i.e. board at high level, disembark at low level.)
mtuandrew

Postby lensovet » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

yes the accessibility problem is solved with having mini-highs. clearly they think it's working well as they just ordered an entire fleet replacement from Siemens with this setup.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby Paul1705 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Patrick Boylan wrote:lensovet, pateljones asked about active passenger. What was the active passenger service that HBLR replaced?

There was none that I know of. Raritan Valley service to Bayonne ended in 1978, more than two decades before HBLR used that route.
Paul1705

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT