Anderson St. Station Burns 1/10/09

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: Anderson St. Station Burns 1/10/09

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:12 pm

The interior waiting was probably weekdays only. Many unmanned stations folllow a similar pattern.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 am

I know we don't usually bump topics, but I thought since its been 1 year since the fire at Anderson Street, I'd want to see what changes had been made in the ensuing year. If someone has pics of Anderson now, it would help. Also the Green Caboose Thrift Shop, which was a charity-run place in Anderson Streeet since 1962 has finally found a new place:

see http://www.humcfoundation.com/site/Page ... =Auxiliary

Also, was there ever any hope someone may rebuild the old station (not NJ Transit)? Like the Moriarities for Benson Street?
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby Port Jervis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:I know we don't usually bump topics, but I thought since its been 1 year since the fire at Anderson Street, I'd want to see what changes had been made in the ensuing year. If someone has pics of Anderson now, it would help. Also the Green Caboose Thrift Shop, which was a charity-run place in Anderson Streeet since 1962 has finally found a new place:

see http://www.humcfoundation.com/site/Page ... =Auxiliary

Also, was there ever any hope someone may rebuild the old station (not NJ Transit)? Like the Moriarities for Benson Street?

Last time I was thru Anderson St (October) it was nothing but an asphault platform and a bus shelter, with the foundation from the old station house fenced off.
Hoboken rules, Midtown Direct drools!
Port Jervis

Re: Anderson st station burns

Postby Ken W2KB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:53 pm

ajt wrote:I believe Anderson St is (was?) the oldest surviving station structure in NJ, something like 1869?

One of the oldest, I expect. Ringoes, NJ station building dates to the 1850's I believe.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 ::
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: [/url]
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 am

Berlin (PRSL), 1856; Flemington (PRR), c.1858. Ringoes is reportedly 1854, but unconfirmed. Only two known pre-Civil War stations. Ramsey (Main Street) is 1868.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby oknazevad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:41 pm

That's ridiculously funny that'd someone would ask for a current pic. I just took one yesterday to add to the station's Wikipedia article. Here's the direct link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anderson_Street_day.jpg
rails > roads

On second thought, let's not go to the NJ Transit Rail forum, 'tis a silly place.
oknazevad

Postby njt5140 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

oknazevad wrote:That's ridiculously funny that'd someone would ask for a current pic. I just took one yesterday to add to the station's Wikipedia article. Here's the direct link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anderson_Street_day.jpg

I'm not surprised that they turned it into parking now. Really makes me wonder about the "railroad lightning" theory!
They have a pill for that!
njt5140

Postby oknazevad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Even more pathetic, it's not even parking for the station, as far as I can tell. It's used by patrons of the bar next door, when the station could use more parking.
rails > roads

On second thought, let's not go to the NJ Transit Rail forum, 'tis a silly place.
oknazevad

Postby njt5140 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:08 pm

oknazevad wrote:Even more pathetic, it's not even parking for the station, as far as I can tell. It's used by patrons of the bar next door, when the station could use more parking.

Bar = Good!!
njt5140

Postby oknazevad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Bars are fine, but NJT property (and I believe that they or the city own the plot that the station used to sit upo) should be used for NJT related business. I wouldn't care if it were a hairdresser or doctors' office instead, if the station building isn't going to be rebuilt (and I doubt it is), then the spots should be used by people using the station as a train station.
rails > roads

oknazevad

Postby sixty-six » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 pm

oknazevad wrote:Bars are fine, but NJT property (and I believe that they or the city own the plot that the station used to sit upo) should be used for NJT related business. I wouldn't care if it were a hairdresser or doctors' office instead, if the station building isn't going to be rebuilt (and I doubt it is), then the spots should be used by people using the station as a train station.

All 4 or 5 parking spots you can fit on that plot?
sixty-six

Postby oknazevad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm

When the lot for the station has only 50 spots, 5 spots is a 10 % increase.

What bothers me the most, though, is the idea of a private business using public property without proper public comment. That's how encroachments and other bs like that happen. What if some civic group decides to donate the cost of constructing a proper shelter there akin to the one at Towaco as part of a neighborhood improvement plan? If no effort is made to preserve the plot as part of the station (which allowing bar patrons to park there willy-nilly doesn't), then the task becomes harder, as the bar owner could claim that he had an agreement to use the plot. In short, while it may seem it's not worth the effort, encroaching property lines is one of the oldest tricks in the book and must be guarded against.
rails > roads

oknazevad

Postby njt5140 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

oknazevad wrote:When the lot for the station has only 50 spots, 5 spots is a 10 % increase.

What bothers me the most, though, is the idea of a private business using public property without proper public comment. That's how encroachments and other bs like that happen. What if some civic group decides to donate the cost of constructing a proper shelter there akin to the one at Towaco as part of a neighborhood improvement plan? If no effort is made to preserve the plot as part of the station (which allowing bar patrons to park there willy-nilly doesn't), then the task becomes harder, as the bar owner could claim that he had an agreement to use the plot. In short, while it may seem it's not worth the effort, encroaching property lines is one of the oldest tricks in the book and must be guarded against.

You seem to be going off on encroachment, now how do you know the bar owner didn't consult NJT already and set it up for his spaces OR the town contacted NJT reguarding the issue and it became property of the town enabling the bar owner to use the spaces?
njt5140

Postby oknazevad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm

If there was a transfer of NJT property, there'd have to be some mention of it in the public record somewhere, as NJT is a public agency. now I'm not saying that I know everything that's been in the public record, but I would think that it would merit some sort of mention somewhere that someone from here would have picked up on it.In short, the absence of evidence of surch an agreement is, due to NJT's status as a public entity, evidence of absence.
rails > roads

oknazevad

Postby TREnecNYP » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:00 am

To all of the folks saying since its gone there's no point to replacing it with a duplicate structure, please look at the tower upon hoboken terminal. Do you need a tower there? No. Does it look amazing? Yes. I think attracting more riders via improved station without tenants to worry about alone would warrant the effort.

As for Trenton, Metropark etc..... I think folks living up in the hobdiv territory fail to realize that this line along with the line to long branch and montclair are NJT's money maker, and without substantial investment in bringing structures not only up to current building codes, but also making them less stressful to be in is of paramount importance. Lets not forget that Trenton is the state seat of government, and being so deserves a station that is clean modern well lit and safe (after much of the renovations being complete...it is!). Metropark was rebuilt with partial $ from amtrak, frankly the station needed it, it will last longer than the old one would have, and is 10x safer boarding/alighting.

Newark penn is a nightmare to maintain. The entire elevated structure needs work, the tracks need to be re-laid, the pipes and ducts and HVAC and electrical & data cables need to be refreshed and re-hung, the lights on the platforms need to be modified, and he whole thing needs a coat of paint. doesn't help that it's partially covered in soot, doesn't help that the giant pile of crap looking dock lift is right there either. They are doing their best. I'm just worried bout what this joker coming into office is going to do to new funding & other (for the people) transit initiatives.

- A
TREnecNYP

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT