The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Postby Hawaiitiki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 am

airman00 wrote:
Well you "technically" can't make that move anymore. I believe that connection known as the "Piermont branch" (I think) is somewhat whashed out in the middle, but the suffern end of the connection is still active and known as the suffern industrial (or so I heard). As for the spring valley end it is intact, including a switch, (and there is also an old freight siding intact with a switch nearby as well) I just don't know where the washout begins and how bad it is?

I know about potential "nimbyism" in the washed out area, but IF you could repair the washout, and NJT does have the authority to do so at any time, well that to me would be great!

I agree. I don't think a washout would be 1% of the issues of getting that line up and running. It would be quelling wealthy NIMBYs who haven't seen a train behind their house in 30 years. I highlighted the stretch red on the map below.

Double Track, Grade Separate, and Electrify America!
Hawaiitiki

Postby airman00 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:33 pm

How bad are the washed out areas? And correct me if I am wrong but NJT as a railroad has the authority to repair the tracks WITHOUT having to notify any of the local communities. As far as I know they only have to notify the DEP.
airman00

Postby Steve F45 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:39 pm

If you use google earth or bing maps to zoom in, you'll see where it will be virtually impossible to just relay tracks. When they did route 59 bridge where I believe it went over the tracks, it was all cleared away aroudn there.
Steve F45

Postby airman00 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:09 pm

I saw two interesting things on the PVL today. First this morning going thru Westwood and headed toward Hoboken there was a metro north express (4 car train) powered by MN #4911 (F40), that appeared to have two engineers. One guy in the cab car running the train and a second guy (in a safety vest) in the engineers seat of the F40. Why the need for two engineers?

Second, later in the day I saw two 4-car trainsets coupled together headed towards hoboken, only the first 4-car set powered by NJT Geep 4209(?) was actually a revenue set and it stopped at the Westwood station to pick up passengers. The second set was OOS and being towed along for the ride. The second set was powered by a PL42 locomotive, except for the fact that the pl42 was idling only. The geep was doing ALL the work, pulling 8 cars plus a pl42 and it was working hard, but doing a darn good job of it! (those old geeps still got it!)
airman00

Postby CPSK » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Penn Central wrote:From a list of railroad wrecks in NJ, I saw this interesting detour:

November 16, 1970 Mahwah EL Eastbound freight derailed, blocking all four tracks of the Main Line. Passenger service diverted over what is now NJT Pascack Valley Line and back to Main Line over now defunct connection between Spring Valley and Suffern.

Can't make that move anymore.

I remember that event, although I didn't see the train - just remember reading about it. I was in Jr. High School at the time.
I can also recall coming across the now abandoned track near Monsey NY while at Requa Lake for my 9th grade picnic. A friend and I went wandering into the woods on a trail and came to the track. I recall that it was very rusty and appeared either abandoned, or nearly so. That would have been in 1971.

I have traced the route in Google Earth. The images are too large for me to post here, but you can click on the links below to see the images at their source url.

Red = active mainline
Light Purple = abandoned
Light Blue = Rail Trail on abandoned line

Overview of the route: http://s425.photobucket.com/user/CPSK/m ... b.jpg.html
Sequence of 6 images showing the entire route in more detail:
Hit the > button to the right of the image to view the next in sequence

If anyone would like to view the route in even closer detail directly in Google Earth, I can send you the .kmz files with the route by e-mail.

I seriously doubt that any rail line will ever follow this route again, but perhaps (not in my lifetime), a new high-speed route will be constructed between Suffern and Tarrytown, following the I-87287 corridor, with junction to the Pascack Valley line at Spring Valley, a new bridge over the Hudson near the TZ, and meeting the Hudson line just south of Tarrytown.
But I seriously doubt that even that route will ever be built. It would be far too expensive for any government to take on, and probably not lucrative enough for private enterprise.

CP
CPSK

Postby njsteelersfan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:24 am

Anybody know what the deal is this morning. Saw a 2 train eastbound looked like it was making all stops. Could have sworn that 1636 passed. Thanks
njsteelersfan

Postby srock1028 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:40 am

njsteelersfan wrote:Anybody know what the deal is this morning. Saw a 2 train eastbound looked like it was making all stops. Could have sworn that 1636 passed. Thanks

1645 was cancelled at Woodcliff Lake due to mechanical problems. Passengers went to train 1647 and train 1636 was around 1 hour 45 minutes late.
-Those are the rulessss
srock1028

Postby Conrail Blue » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:42 pm

I have a question. I'm aware that the NY Times had a plant in Carlstadt along the Pascack line, but I cant figure out its location. Anyonre know the address of where the plant was? It closed in the early 90's
Conrail Blue

Postby airman00 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

I happen to be in Spring Valley this morning in my work travels. On my way home I decided to make a quick detour and drive past the tracks as I wasn't far from the yard NJT has in spring valley. I didn't have much time to spare, as I had to get back to work, so I never drove past past the yard but I did manage to see the old tracks that used to connect to the Main/Bergen lines, (Piermont branch?) and I saw them at the Lumber Yard that used to get rail service. I believe it's called beckerlie lumber? Anyway driving past I could see that just past the switch off the PVL the tracks are in REALLY bad shape, you almost can't see them at the lumber yard because their partially buried. And the crossing I drove past had no lights or gates just an old worn out crossbucks sign. And past the lumber yard is really overgrown and you almost can't even see the ROW. I wish I had more time to drive around a little and explore the old piermont branch, but didn't have the time.

I knew the remains of the piermont branch were in bad shape, but I thought you had to go some distance down the tracks to see them get really bad/buried/washed out. I had no idea they got that bad and overgrown right in spring valley. One interesting thing I did notice, is that just past the switch off the PVL their was a big load of ties stacked neatly right on the tracks themselves. Couldn't see if the ties were new or used/old but they ties looked in halfway decent shape. Anyone know what's going on there?
airman00

Postby sully7302 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:18 pm

There's a loaded centerbeam in the Long Siding in Carlstadt....expect that to go up to Emerson possibly Wednesday.
sully7302

Postby ebtmikado » Mon May 02, 2016 3:09 pm

CPSK wrote:I can also recall coming across the now abandoned track near Monsey NY while at Requa Lake for my 9th grade picnic. A friend and I went wandering into the woods on a trail and came to the track. I recall that it was very rusty and appeared either abandoned, or nearly so. That would have been in 1971.
CP

The last job I worked on Erie Lackawanna before moving to Connecticut was on the "Upper End Hack", (NJ & NY Wayfreight), which originated in Croxton, ran up the NJ&NY to Spring Valley, over the Piermont Branch to Suffern, then down the Bergen County to Croxton. I was on the job 1972 to Sept., 1973, so there was definitely regular 5 days per week train service on that line beyond 1973.

Lee
ebtmikado

Postby sully7302 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Atlantic Plywood in Carlstadt has gotten a car for the first time in years it appears....
sully7302

Postby Conrail Blue » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:04 am

Sully where did they spot the car? There's that hopper blocking the way and the tracking leading up to the building is completely overgrown last I saw it.
Conrail Blue

Postby sully7302 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Conrail Blue wrote:Sully where did they spot the car? There's that hopper blocking the way and the tracking leading up to the building is completely overgrown last I saw it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117062958 ... ed-public/ right here.
sully7302

Postby sully7302 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Another car was at Atlantic Plywood on Wednesday. There was also a loaded centerbeam for Kuiken sitting off the Long Siding along with a bunch of other cars.
sully7302

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT