The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Postby ebtmikado » Sat May 02, 2015 6:49 am

This branch was called the Piermont Branch on the Erie and EL.
It was a part of the original NY&LE Railroad, which ran from the Piermont Pier on the Hudson
to Dunkirk, NY on Lake Erie. It was the first long distance rail line in North America.

Lee
ebtmikado

Postby philipmartin » Sat May 02, 2015 7:12 am

ebtmikado wrote:This branch was called the Piermont Branch on the Erie and EL.
It was a part of the original NY&LE Railroad, which ran from the Piermont Pier on the Hudson :-D
to Dunkirk, NY on Lake Erie. It was the first long distance rail line in North America.

Lee

I love railroad history, in any part of the world, but particularly in my own.

Moderator's Note: Fixed quote coding.
philipmartin

Postby ExCon90 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:46 pm

And the reason it was built from Piermont was that the New York State Legislature refused to issue a charter for a railroad running through a FOREIGN STATE like New Jersey. As a result, passengers had to make the trip by water from Manhattan to Piermont until the Erie acquired the New York and Hackensack(?) and the Paterson & Ramapo(?) and began running through trains to Jersey City. If it hadn't been for that original charter there might never have been a railroad from Piermont to Suffern.
ExCon90

Postby philipmartin » Mon May 04, 2015 3:19 pm

I go for history. The late John T. Cunningham's paper back history book "Railroading in New Jersey" describes how Erie trains used the Pennsy's (I forget the name of the original railroad) cut through Bergen Hill, as far as Marion, where they headed north on their own rails (I guess.) The switch tender at Marion had to figure which train was coming at him, a standard gauge Pennsy or a broad gauge Erie, and he didn't always get it right.
philipmartin

Postby airman00 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Saw an interesting equipment move today... Late morning I just caught a quick glimpse engine #4302 going engine lite long hood forward thru Westwood towards Spring Valley. Sometime after lunch he returned and he was pulling a 3-car set with engine #4109 trailing. And the middle car of the 3-car set was a comet 4. Rare to see a long hood forward move on the pvl. And also rare to see engine forward towards Hoboken.
airman00

Postby philipmartin » Tue May 12, 2015 10:11 am

ebtmikado wrote:This branch was called the Piermont Branch on the Erie and EL.
It was a part of the original NY&LE Railroad, which ran from the Piermont Pier on the Hudson

Lee

I don't know the location of this photo, but it dates from 1867.
Attachments
Erie 1865 (dragged).pdf
(98.55 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
philipmartin

Postby airman00 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Per my wife who just happened to see this... NS is switching Kuiken bros lumber yard right now as we speak. @ 1:20pm. Didn't get any car count only saw the engine with it's lights on.
airman00

Postby airman00 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Went by kuiken bros and no cars dropped off. It appears they just took 1 Southern Pacific boxcar that was there and left.
airman00

Postby Steve F45 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:20 pm

took the boxcar and centerbeam around 3pm. Cought the power headed north before noon. 2 ns geeps
Steve F45

Postby Penn Central » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:06 pm

From a list of railroad wrecks in NJ, I saw this interesting detour:

November 16, 1970 Mahwah EL Eastbound freight derailed, blocking all four tracks of the Main Line. Passenger service diverted over what is now NJT Pascack Valley Line and back to Main Line over now defunct connection between Spring Valley and Suffern.

Can't make that move anymore.
Penn Central

Postby mackdave » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:10 am

I remember it well, I was in High School at the time, and we drove up to look at the wreck. The Bergen Evening Record had an article about the detour, if believe. Something like... you should have seen the faces of the locals when the two SD-45's came through with the 100 car freight. They had to get Supervision out to protect the crossings in Hackensack, they were manual gates back then, with a split shift operation for the morning and evening commuter trains.

Dave Mackay
mackdave

Postby airman00 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Penn Central wrote:From a list of railroad wrecks in NJ, I saw this interesting detour:

November 16, 1970 Mahwah EL Eastbound freight derailed, blocking all four tracks of the Main Line. Passenger service diverted over what is now NJT Pascack Valley Line and back to Main Line over now defunct connection between Spring Valley and Suffern.

Can't make that move anymore.

Well you "technically" can't make that move anymore. I believe that connection known as the "Piermont branch" (I think) is somewhat whashed out in the middle, but the suffern end of the connection is still active and known as the suffern industrial (or so I heard). As for the spring valley end it is intact, including a switch, (and there is also an old freight siding intact with a switch nearby as well) I just don't know where the washout begins and how bad it is?

I know about potential "nimbyism" in the washed out area, but IF you could repair the washout, and NJT does have the authority to do so at any time, well that to me would be great!
airman00

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:29 pm

mackdave wrote:I remember it well, I was in High School at the time, and we drove up to look at the wreck. The Bergen Evening Record had an article about the detour, if believe. Something like... you should have seen the faces of the locals when the two SD-45's came through with the 100 car freight. They had to get Supervision out to protect the crossings in Hackensack, they were manual gates back then, with a split shift operation for the morning and evening commuter trains.

Dave Mackay

Mark I Video put out a VHS quite a while back of converted 16mm color footage shot on a Saturday in the late 1940's or very early 50's. The NJ&NY was still running one or more trains inbound on Saturday mornings and outbound early in the afternoon, and the trains are shown at various stations on the line. It seems that the crossing watchmen were working a 5-day week by that time, so the gates were not operated at all on Saturdays. The trains stopped and flagged every crossing and then proceeded with the gates up.
ExCon90

Postby Steve F45 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:34 am

The line is severed in several spots in rockland county with some area's near impossible to have a row for any trains. I'de love to see video of that freight move if one even exists.

On the modern day pvl though, 2 more boxcars have been spotted at kuiken lumber in emerson since last week.
Steve F45

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:35 pm

There is some development directly on the old line in Monsey.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT