The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

Re: The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Postby kilroy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:18 pm

NJ.com had an article regarding the use of a cab car in front of the locomotive.

“It has allowed us to operate trains that would not have been able to operate without those cab cars,” said Jim Smith, an NJ Transit spokesman.

That would indicate that they have all the trackside equipment on-line and in actual use. I find that hard to believe.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/01/is-that-an-empty-car-at-the-head-of-the-train-yes-but-its-actually-helping-commuters-nj-transit-says.html
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
kilroy

Postby airman00 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm

So in regards to that cab-car in front of the locomotive, on the PVL I’ve only seen it on trains going TO Hoboken, but never on trains coming FROM Hoboken. Is their a reason for this?
airman00

Postby EuroStar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:44 am

If you mean that the engine and the cab car in front of it are always on the end pointing towards Spring Valley, that is consistent with the standard practice the engines being always away from the terminal in Hoboken.

Now if you mean that you have never seen a train going to Spring Valley with the cab car leading and the engine behind it, that simply means that you have been unlucky enough that the only sets coming from Hoboken you have seen have been with engines that have had the PTC installed. I can assure you that these train sets do not get assembled and disassembled at the ends so that the cab is on the set in only one direction. You simply have not been lucky enough to see one during the times you observe the line.
EuroStar

Postby airman00 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Then yes, I have yet to see a non-PTC engine with cab car leading a train, I have only seen it trailing.
airman00

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT