The Atlantic City Line Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: The Atlantic City Line Thread

Postby nova08 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Very anecdotal and an odd time immediately after the holiday, but on the Tuesday after Memorial Day I happen to be waiting on the platform at 30th st. for an Amtrak train an saw the ~6:30am PHL-ACY departure with about 8 people on board a 3 car set.
nova08

Postby NortheastTrainMan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 pm

A #TBT of sorts, but still appropriate for this thread.

I stumbled on this video from YouTube showing the ACL when NJT & Amtrak operated on it back in 1990.
This is the only video I saw where it shows both NJT & Amtrak trains at the Atlantic City Terminal, right at the 3:47 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWa0QoHCG2w

Notice how at the terminal the trains are all facing different directions, NJT's cab cars face the terminal as where Amtrak's vary.
Plus the wall is lacking near track 5 I think, it's just a wide open space. Quite different from today.

Everything relevant is from to 1:54 to 5:03. There's some PATCO action prior to that, and after 5:03 it's the AC boardwalk.

Nonetheless I figured this was something you guys should check out, I found it pretty interesting.
NortheastTrainMan

Postby chuchubob » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 pm

On Saturday train 4673 had five cars.
Train 4670 had the usual three cars.
chuchubob

Postby Ryand-Smith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 pm

I feel like if not for NJT having a somewhat glut of diesels and the lack of FRA DMUs you could make a fuel and acceleration argument for putting the Nippon Sharyo DMU (even though NJT's own 2020 plan wants 4 locos, the GP-40s as protect auxilary and backups, the PL series, the dual modes and the ALP series and MLV everything).
Ryand-Smith

Postby johnnyloco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:28 pm

7/29/2017

The span over River Road in Pennsauken was hit hard by an empty roll-off container truck with it's bed still raised yesterday. It threw the bridge and tracks almost 2 feet out of alignment.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4763118

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4763119

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4763120
johnnyloco

Postby NY&LB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:59 am

Great pictures that really show how much damage was done, any update on repairs? This obviously blocks all rail traffic across the Delair bridge.
Seems to me that this is not a simple "push it back into position" repair but likely a complete bridge replacement. I do not believe there are any feasible re-routes possible for the freight traffic, please correct me if I am incorrect.
How many NJT train sets are east of this? How are they re-fueled?
Since this incident is already spread over three threads in two forums some consolidation is in order (hint to moderator).
NY&LB

Postby liftedjeep » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 am

NY&LB wrote:Great pictures that really show how much damage was done, any update on repairs? This obviously blocks all rail traffic across the Delair bridge.
Seems to me that this is not a simple "push it back into position" repair but likely a complete bridge replacement. I do not believe there are any feasible re-routes possible for the freight traffic, please correct me if I am incorrect.
How many NJT train sets are east of this? How are they re-fueled?
Since this incident is already spread over three threads in two forums some consolidation is in order (hint to moderator).

Not ALL rail traffic across the Delair Bridge is blocked due to the incident. Pavonia Yard freight traffic remains unaffected as the connecting track to the yard is just prior to the damaged bridge upon entering NJ. Only NJ Transit and access to the Hainesport Industrial track are impacted by accident.
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
liftedjeep

Postby NY&LB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 am

Not ALL rail traffic across the Delair Bridge is blocked due to the incident. Pavonia Yard freight traffic remains unaffected as the connecting track to the yard is just prior to the damaged bridge upon entering NJ. Only NJ Transit and access to the Hainesport Industrial track are impacted by accident.
Ben

Thanks Ben for that clarification, I am not very familiar with the track configurations down there.
NY&LB

Postby chuchubob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:56 pm

With northbound trains terminating at Cherry Hill, train 4670 moved to the main to make the platform siding available to train 4674.
Subsequently train 4674 moved south past RACE and train 4674 moved past NORTH RACE to use the platform siding as train 4677 to Atlantic City, meeting former train 4674.
chuchubob

Postby glennk419 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:07 pm

With the Bees now being the only (in)direct link to AC, I wonder if NJT will need to deadhead any trains over it for inspections / equipment cycles?
Glenn
glennk419

Postby chuchubob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:25 pm

glennk419 wrote:With the Bees now being the only (in)direct link to AC, I wonder if NJT will need to deadhead any trains over it for inspections / equipment cycles?

It would also be interesting to see a Conrail WPCA20 go to Winslow and come back to JORDAN on Transit.
chuchubob

Postby MedicSutton » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:09 am

[quote][/quote]glennk419 wrote:
With the Bees now being the only (in)direct link to AC, I wonder if NJT will need to deadhead any trains over it for inspections / equipment cycles?

i too am curious and following.
Not you fat Jesus
MedicSutton

Postby glennk419 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Does anyone know how the repairs to the River Road bridge are proceeding? Are they repairing the existing spans or doing a full replacement?
Glenn
glennk419

Postby amtrakhogger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 am

As per NJT website, AC line service restored as of this morning.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

Postby EuroStar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:44 am

amtrakhogger wrote:As per NJT website, AC line service restored as of this morning.

Wow, that was fast. Whoever is responsible for expediting the restoration deserves a praise. Any photos? I am assumong there is a slow speed order and work on the bridge is going to continue for at least a few more days.
EuroStar

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT