The New Jersey Transit Run (Riding the system in a day)

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

The New Jersey Transit Run (Riding the system in a day)

Postby The Machine » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:25 pm

There is a thread about this is the Metro North forum.

Would it be possible to ride the entire NJT system in a day or two?

If so, it would probably be a grueling, but fun, ordeal.

The end points would have to be Port Jervis and Atlantic City (if the metro north parts count)
Die potato!
I LIKE TRAINS.
The Machine

NOT REAL..

Postby henry6 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Not realistically. Even two days would be a stretch, a very big stretch. You really couldn't start at midnight, so 4AM would be best, maybe ending up at 3AM the next morning but you would still have to leave out some line. Even busing across short distances like Spring Valley to Suffern. Plus your focus would have to be riding, riding, riding with no time to smell the roses. Or probably even eat anything of value (that of course is subjective). Over three days, you might succeed, but be too beat to enjoy or remember! I put these types of trips together all the time for myself, friends, and anyone who enlists my services.
henry6

Postby Raritan Express » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:47 pm

You can't ride the whole system without using another transit agency to get you from Philadelphia to Trenton.
"This is an Raritan Valley express train to Allentown stopping at Newark Penn Station, Westfield, Plainfield, Bridgewater, Somerville, Raritan, High Bridge, Philipsburg, Easton, Bethlehem, and Allentown. Transfer at Newark for service to West Trenton and Lakehurst. Next stop is Newark."
Raritan Express

Postby The Machine » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:36 pm

You can't ride the whole system without using another transit agency to get you from Philadelphia to Trenton

What about the River LINE? That should count as part of the challenge too.
Die potato!
I LIKE TRAINS.
The Machine

Postby Raritan Express » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:50 pm

The Machine wrote:
You can't ride the whole system without using another transit agency to get you from Philadelphia to Trenton

There's no direct connection between the riverLINE and the Atlantic City Line. You'll have to walk between them or take PATCO.
"This is an Raritan Valley express train to Allentown stopping at Newark Penn Station, Westfield, Plainfield, Bridgewater, Somerville, Raritan, High Bridge, Philipsburg, Easton, Bethlehem, and Allentown. Transfer at Newark for service to West Trenton and Lakehurst. Next stop is Newark."
Raritan Express

Postby taoyue » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Or take a NJ Transit bus. Which is included in the slightly more expensive "interstate" ticket.
taoyue

Postby The Machine » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:32 pm

It shouldn't really matter. The point is just to get all around the system in as little time possible.
Die potato!
I LIKE TRAINS.
The Machine

Postby Don31 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:12 am

It's 3:00 AM, let's start!
You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself.
Don31

Postby The Machine » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:27 am

Why dont we try to make a proto-schedule? Then we could polish it up, find the quickest routes, and do it!
Die potato!
I LIKE TRAINS.
The Machine

Postby sullivan1985 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Don31 wrote:It's 3:00 AM, let's start!

7 Train already has 2 cars reserved just for us! :-P

In reality, with limited service beyond points like Dover and Raritan it might be a bit of a challenge. Also, you would have to find a way to 30th Street Philadelphia. Taking the Light Rail or Patco would not give you the whole AC Line in one shot.

It could probably be done, but it would certainly take all day if you started at the very beginning of the day.
sullivan1985

Postby Jtgshu » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Having made the trip from AC to Metropark more times then I ever wanted to, that is a LONG ride, even if you have perfect connections - the best I was able to do was the roughtly 80 minute ride to 30th St. from AC, about a 35-40 minute ride on SEPTA from 30th St. to Trenton (evening rush hour express, express to Torresdale or Cornwells Heights IIRC) which I RAN to from my AC train, and left within a minute) to an NJT connecting train in Trenton for the 45 or so minute ride to Metropark.

So unless you were to leave your car in AC and get a ride there or back, i think you would have much better success leaving out the AC trip. The RVL isn't that bad with midday service to High Bridge now......I think it would be much tougher to catch a train over the Boonton Line. (WEST OF MSU)
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby RVRR 15 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Raritan Express wrote:
The Machine wrote:

There's no direct connection between the riverLINE and the Atlantic City Line. You'll have to walk between them or take PATCO.
That kinda negates the need to go to Philly at all. Change at Camden.

The furthest this author managed in one day on a Special Excursion Ticket was the end of the Morristown Line (Dover) followed by the end of the Raritan Valley Line (Raritan), that is on weekends.
RVRR 15

Postby alewifebp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:02 am

I would think you'd need to drop the ACL to make it practical. And you'd have to run this on a weekday. You could cheat slightly by taking the Transport of Rockland 59 bus between Suffern and Spring Valley. A scheduling nightmare no doubt.
We used to be WORMs, now we are WORBS. West Of Regal Bay Street
And yes, Bay Street IS BS.

Pictures: http://sdrv.ms/16NOZS8
alewifebp

WE'VE DONE

Postby henry6 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 am

My group(s) have done Port Jervis to Bay Head and return; High Bridge to Newark to Philly to Camden to Lindonwold to Camden to Trenton to Newark to High Bridge; numerous trips from Hackettstown and Dover to all points on NJT, MNRR, and LIRR and return in one day. Included are bus, light rail, subway, and shoe leather to make connections and know that some rides can only be done on certain days of the week. It would be difficult, very difficult, to do all of NJT in one day. Plus you would have to use other than heavy rail to do it unless you continuously backtracked.
henry6

Postby The Machine » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:54 pm

I have actually figured out a schedule that could get most of the system done in one day. It does leave out Mount Olive-Hackettstown, Raritan-High Bridge, and the ACL. It would be done on a weekday, and is accurate to the schedules posted on NJT's website.
Note: I have designed it to work best for me. It may not work best for you.

12:50AM Waldwick to 2:31 Port Jervis
3:54 Port Jervis to Bergen Line to 6:12 Hoboken
6:25 Hoboken to Main Line to 7:14 Waldwick
(Drive to Spring Valley)
7:28 Spring Valley to 8:41 Hoboken
9:27 Hoboken to 11:00* Gladstone
10:43 Gladstone to 11:28 Summit
11:31 Summit to 12:34 Mount Olive
12:46 Mount Olive to 1:49 MSU
1:54 MSU to 2:51 NY Penn
3:01 NY Penn to 4:10 Trenton
4:24 Trenton to 5:17 Newark Penn
5:32 Newark Penn to 7:09 Bay Head
7:15 Bay Head to 7:56 Long Branch
8:02 Long Branch to 9:13 Newark Penn
10:11 Newark Penn to 11:09 Raritan
11:46 Raritan to 12:40 Newark Penn
And that ends this ordeal. I would have to get picked up at Newark Penn.

*It will really be quicker than this. But the connection will be VERY CLOSE.
Die potato!
I LIKE TRAINS.
The Machine

Next

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT