The Smell

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail operations, except Light Rail Operations. Official web site can be found here: www.njtransit.com.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a

The Smell

Postby murmur87 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:29 pm

So I know y'all have smelled the stench at Secaucus Jct. in the AM. It smells like roadkill. At first I figured that is exactly what it was...dead animals along the sides of the junction, but I have a feeling it is something else. Any thoughts? Some mornings it is unbearable, especially when it is hot!
murmur87

Postby NJT Rider » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:11 am

Track B on the west side has it the worst. My vote is a large amount of Bird Poop. As far as the dead animal theory, show me the body. I have not seen any carcases, but I must admit, I have not been looking for them.
NJT Rider

Postby lensovet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:23 am

ever been at newark airport? good christ. there is definitely a plain old garbage dump really close to that station.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby hsr_fan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 am

That's nothing compared to the smell of raw sewage that an Arrow III tends to leave at the station!
hsr_fan

Postby sullivan1985 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 am

That smell you pick up at Secaucus and other high-speed stations is the toilets. The chemicals used to brake down the waste sometimes come flying out of the septic tanks when the train brakes at high speed, thus the beautiful aroma of what is someone else's lunch from Thursday.

Stations with a nice tilt will also get some serious leaking all over the platforms.
sullivan1985

Postby Wdobner » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:16 am

lensovet wrote:ever been at newark airport? good christ. there is definitely a plain old garbage dump really close to that station.

That's exactly what it is. The next lot to the west of the station is a waste transfer station:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qshps48thkdx&style=o&lvl=1&scene=3096450
Wdobner

Postby FireChaserE3 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:00 am

Wow...I thought I was the only one that noticed that horrible aroma at Secaucus. The worst was during the heat wave a week or so ago.....I had to go back to the concorse to wait for the train because the smell was so unbearable.

Remember though, that the city of Secaucus itself is built on a dump.

Jim F.
FireChaserE3

Postby lensovet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:56 am

Wdobner wrote:
lensovet wrote:ever been at newark airport? good christ. there is definitely a plain old garbage dump really close to that station.
That's exactly what it is. The next lot to the west of the station is a waste transfer station:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qshps48thkdx&style=o&lvl=1&scene=3096450
damn, they should really have done something about that, like placing high walls or something, i'm sure it can be done. after all, the intensity is not the same on the entire platform.
regardless, it def isn't the nicest way of greeting visitors to nj/nyc metro area. it's like, « welcome to new jersey! we're actually worse than the armpit of america! »
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby KFC Jones » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:01 pm

Secaucus is in a swampy area, which can self-generate its own funk.
KFC Jones

Postby PRSL1972 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Do you really think that NJT cares about the passengers complaining of a raw sewage smell. NA!!! They want your money and when you complain the complaints get put on the back burner. So much for a company that says they care about the publics interest!!!!!!!!!
For what I have been seeing the direction of NJT is going which isn't great it should be disbanded and revert back to public service and rail to DOT. This will ensure all high paid brain dead people are weeded out!!!
PRSL1972

Postby Wanderer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:34 pm

It gets really bad at Roselle Park at times. And naturally it only gets worse after the cars get attention, since the maintainer's idea of fixing the problem is dumping a case of chlorine tablets in the car. And being that Roselle Park is on an elevated right of way, under the right conditions when the overflow opens with just enough pressure, it begins to rain on a sunny day...if you know what I mean.
Wanderer

Postby F23A4 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 pm

Wdobner wrote:

Thank goodness the trains I ride typically express past the Nwk Airport station.
F23A4

Postby F23A4 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:13 pm

hsr_fan wrote:That's nothing compared to the smell of raw sewage that an Arrow III tends to leave at the station!

I do not think it is anywhere near as bad as being in an AIII vestibule adjacent to (and downwind of) the lavatory. Image
F23A4

Postby PRSL1972 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:16 pm

I do say it is a smelly problem. P U
For what I have been seeing the direction of NJT is going which isn't great it should be disbanded and revert back to public service and rail to DOT. This will ensure all high paid brain dead people are weeded out!!!
PRSL1972

Postby Jtgshu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:52 pm

Yea, but its not as bad as some passengers!!!!
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
Jtgshu

Next

Return to NJ Transit Rail