MOM Rail Service

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: MOM Rail.

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 am

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:MOM will not be happening anytime soon, if it ever does. NJT has enough capacity issues, especially into and out of NYC. I am not too surprised about the number of NIMBYs living along the proposed routes. The route from Monmouth Jct to Lakewood and Lakehurst would probably take a long time. NJT runs it's busiest commuter bus corridor along Rt. 9 as far as Lakewood: many people living along that route use the bus for travel to and from the city. On the railroad side, for those people who live in Freehold who want to travel by train to the city, taking Rt. 9 to the Pkwy with little or no traffic could bring you to Metropark in about 30 minutes. Trust me, plenty of people who live in Monmouth County, especially along the south end of the coastline will drive north to Metropark for train service.

LOL you never tried to drive up route 9 in rush hour traffic have you.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Re: MOM Rail.

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:01 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:LOL you never tried to drive up route 9 in rush hour traffic have you.

Or beach traffic :P US 9, NJ 18, NJ 33, the Parkway - they're all hideous.
mtuandrew

Re: MOM Rail Service

Postby braves » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Could the MOM be revived with the proposed Mid Line Loop just south of the proposed North Brunswick station if the Monmouth Junction route was selected?
braves

Postby 35dtmrs92 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:16 pm

It could make MOM more doable in the future, in that the loop could double as a flyover for Lakehurst-bound trains, but the real bottleneck is at the Hudson River.
35dtmrs92

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:52 am

The stuff to new brunswick will get done, the plans and stuff are already set forth, however it appears in any recent renderings i have seen that the loop is eliminated.

I cant see the purpose at all of a loop for trains that are 100% push pull. Maybe build a Wye off the Milstone running track to turn trains if there is a control car issue but other than that, its a huge waste of time and money.
ApproachMedium

Postby EuroStar » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:28 am

ApproachMedium wrote:The stuff to new brunswick will get done, the plans and stuff are already set forth, however it appears in any recent renderings i have seen that the loop is eliminated.
I cant see the purpose at all of a loop for trains that are 100% push pull. Maybe build a Wye off the Milstone running track to turn trains if there is a control car issue but other than that, its a huge waste of time and money.

What is the plan then? A flying junction over/under the corridor? That certainly could work and would have smaller footprint than a loop (and hopefully be cheaper).
EuroStar

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:29 am

There is no plan for any kind of loop turn around fly over whatever. its a line that runs along the corridor from new burnswick to the new adams interlocking. Two tracks just for NJT, and a 12 car S&I shop at jersey ave. Thats it.

A flying juntion or over under has a massive higher cost than a loop. Have you seen how high it would have to go to clear the NEC wire if it went over? And if it went under, they would have to tunnel under everything. The grades would be quite long to be able to turn passenger trains.
ApproachMedium

Postby EuroStar » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:41 pm

No disagreement here. I know that a flyover/flyunder will be extremely expensive for what it is worth it. From what you are describing that means that trains will still need to cross the express tracks at grade somewhere. A flyover or a loop under the corridor for what is basically an yard always struck me as excessive.

I think NJT has only one active flyover and that is Kearny Junction and most of it was kind of built by the predecessor railroads.
EuroStar

Postby OportRailfan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:12 am

They (Amtrak) built it with the intent of a fly-over to be built later on by NJT. There were plans for westbound crossovers to the Delco lead at ADAMS and DELCO from 4 track and then a flyover loop to come back down into a future "A" track south of 1 track west of Adams MW base with another eastbound crossover to from A to 1, so they could loop back east.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:49 pm

From the Department of Dumb Questions, and at the risk of teeing people off:

Diesel Light Rail? Straight east from Trenton along I-195, dip down to Six Flags, back up to 195, then down the abandoned Freehold Secondary to Manasquan. It really isn't much longer than Trenton - Camden, and in theory has a smaller footprint.
mtuandrew

Postby CJPat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Keep in mind that MOM is oriented at commuters heading north towards NYC, not west to Trenton.

On the related note, the old PRR Sea Girt to Trenton run or, in a nod to mtuandrew, a run along I-195 (no ROWs exist) is not a bad idea. I have been making that run on I-195 since the mid 90's and have seen traffic increase 50 fold as all those new housing developments went up (especially between Jackson and Hamilton). Coming home thru the Bordentown twist to the Turnpike has turned into an absolute nightmare. It's faster to take side streets.

Doesn't matter in the big picture since there won't be money for new ideas. Can't afford to maintain what we have.
CJPat

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:21 am

CJPat: True re: New York commuters. Shame there was never a railroad that directly paralleled US 9 Perth Amboy - Toms River - AC, because everything else points the wrong directions.
mtuandrew

Postby CJPat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Technically the rails did go in the right direction. You have to look at it with 50+ year old eyes. New York/Newark & Philadelphia/Camden were the main travel Hubs in New Jersey (Civil unrest and the exodus of manufacturing devastated Newark & Camden). New York & Philly were also hit hard, but were able to survive better.

All the rail lines pretty much headed to these locals because they were centers of manufacturing. Actually the reason there were any cities was because they were the center of manufacturing for their areas - out west they may have started out based on agriculture and livestock, but quickly developed beyond that.

Now as far as paralleling Rt 9, you could grab the CNJ in Newark and drop south along the what is now called the Chemical Coast joining the NY&LB at Perth Amboy, split off at Red Bank and run as the Southern Divsion to Lakehurst and jump off to run the Barnegat Branch to Toms River, Forked River to Barnegat (the last portion directly adjacent to Rt 9. The CNJ stays within 5 miles of Rt 9 almost the whole length. The Southern Division overall was more like the rail version of the Garden State Turnpike.

South Jersey Shore points (Toms River could be viewed as a hinge point) was of more interest to Philadelphia tourists which is why the PRR and Reading running out of Philly handled the majority of traffic and tourists.
CJPat

Postby JohnFromJersey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:07 pm

I think in order to get anything done, there should be some sort of public-private partnership to get the MOM line going.

They could strike up a deal with NIMBY's to only have commuter trains during rush hour (maybe 2 every 45 minutes or so between 6 AM and 9 AM, and do the same between 4 PM and 8 PM).

Not to mention if real estate is thrown in, a public-private partnership could be extremely profitable for both sides, and would certainly make commuting easier.
JohnFromJersey

Postby GSC » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm

If only common sense could prevail.

They've spent million$ on studies. But all you have to do is sit in the area of the Parkway and Route 37 in Toms River during rush hour to see that it is needed.

My plan is simple. Get off Ciba-Geigy's back for a few years in exchange for a park-and-ride in Toms River, activate the Barnegat Branch back to Lakehurst, and then north via the Southern Division to either Farmingdale, and then west to Jamesburg, or continue north to Red Bank.

Two or three trains in the morning, and two or three returning in the evening.

If the "heavy concentration" of trains on the NJCL is a problem, maybe someone should look closely at the signaling system. A train every half hour doesn't sound like "heavy concentration" to me. CNJ and PRR trains used to run just minutes apart, with plenty of room for each other.

The whole affair is frustrating at best. If Jamesburg people can teach their kids not to walk out in front of truck traffic on Route 522, they can teach their kids to stay off the ROW. They can take whole neighborhoods away from people with imminent domain, so why can't a few trains be put into operation without public input?

Supply and demand. We need it. Stop fooling around with endless expensive studies. Do it.
Every 20 minute job is just one broken bolt away from being a three day ordeal.
GSC

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT