MOM Rail Service

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: MOM Rail Service

Postby michaelk » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Jtgshu wrote:
michaelk wrote:...anyway- still if the NEC ay is best then tell the NIMBY's to suck it up. I have no patience for people bitching about existing or even planned/potential things. It's just the rest of us subsidizing there investment in real estate. For example the home values in Raritan went up when NJT Caved to the whiners around the rail yard that probably predated most of the homeowners lifetimes. Whatever extra costs, operationally or time, that everyone else has to put up with just increases the value of the whiners property. They bought at a discount because of the existence or potential so get over it. Now if out of left field NJT says they are going to condemn 30 miles of straight ROW right through the middle of a few towns then those people should be compensated- so I'm not necessarily "the needs of the many"...

I know its late, but im sooo confused by this post. What?

What happened in Raritan? And i would certainly hope if peoples homes and property were condemned and taken from them "for the needs of many' they would be fairly compensated!....

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40407

People move in next to the rail yard then whine about noise and diesel exhaust. They complain so much that the DEP gets involved and before you know it NJT has to promise to change how they operate the whole railroad.

They bought their homes for a cheaper price then other homes because of their proximity to the yard and it's noise and smells. Now when they sell they get to say "the noise and exhaust is really cut down from the past and look how close the walk is to the station!" So now their houses likely sell for something closer to the rest of the pack. They get a windfall. NJT (and the rest of the residents of the state) pay the price.

(Admittedly a minor example which maybe has little direct cost but the concept annoys me anyway. Million dollar soundwalls built along existing roadways where probably a better example)
michaelk

Postby Jtgshu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Ohhh THAT thread....forgot about that one!

Well, I know about the issues in Raritan, have dealt with them first hand....but let me just say that sometimes what has been done for a long time isn't always the best way. Is what is done now perfect? Of course not, but with fuel at such high prices, every little bit helps.

But im sure the complaints are only going to become more numerous, as I believe they are building a senior citizens complex ( I don't think its an assisted living facility, but it might be) in that huge swath of land that has been cleared north of the yard, right across from the facilities in Raritan yard.

That will be fun.
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby OportRailfan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm

http://www.ourtowncenter.info

*semi-related*
I'd like this see this completed.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh yes THAT thread lololol. My friend who is a 911 dispatcher for Somerset county would get phone calls from people complaining about the smell of diesel, and demanding they do something about it. People are stupid.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby michaelk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Jtgshu wrote:Ohhh THAT thread....forgot about that one!

Well, I know about the issues in Raritan, have dealt with them first hand....but let me just say that sometimes what has been done for a long time isn't always the best way. Is what is done now perfect? Of course not, but with fuel at such high prices, every little bit helps.

But im sure the complaints are only going to become more numerous, as I believe they are building a senior citizens complex ( I don't think its an assisted living facility, but it might be) in that huge swath of land that has been cleared north of the yard, right across from the facilities in Raritan yard.

That will be fun.

Perhaps it IS better now than the previous 100 years. I just don't like that whiners were the reason for the change.

And not to make the mom thread into the rvl thread but the development being build is worse actually its "luxury rentals". Probably selling it as a 3 minute walk to the station. Then the renters while whine about the yard. I guess maybe if they whine enough they'll just move the yard to phillipsburg and there will be some system expansion for it....
michaelk

Postby M&Eman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:35 pm

morris&essex4ever wrote: And with there being no slots left into NYP and no new tunnels in the forseeable future, MOM service certainly won't be going into NYC.

You could extend the Jersey Ave trains assuming the Route 1Park & Ride in North Brunswick gets built...
"The Erie only sells 1 way tickets on the NJ&NY because it only has a 99 year lease on the line."
M&Eman

Postby Jtgshu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:11 am

M&Eman wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote: And with there being no slots left into NYP and no new tunnels in the forseeable future, MOM service certainly won't be going into NYC.

You could extend the Jersey Ave trains assuming the Route 1Park & Ride in North Brunswick gets built...

Good idea, but problem is is that the Jersey Ave trains have some of the heaviest ridership on the railroad. There is no room for any more passengers on most of them to be extended for MOM or whatever to whereever.

Its quite a conundrum.... :)
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby gg14870 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Any developement on this?
gg14870

Postby OportRailfan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 pm

No.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby HalMallon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Once-proposed Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex rail line gathers dust

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20 ... ation.html

As commuters spend more of their time stuck in traffic, plans for NJ Transit trains to run through central Monmouth County have gone off the rails.

No progress has been made on a proposed line that would serve communities like Marlboro, Freehold, Howell, Lakehurst and Manchester, dubbed the “Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex” line by rail planners, appears to be dead in the water.

“At this time the Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex project remains on-hold due to a lack of funding,” NJ Transit spokesman William Smith said.
HalMallon

Postby ThirdRail7 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 am

It looks like I get the "1000th" post in this thread too!!!

At any rate, here is another positive step for the MOM line:

EDITORIAL: Don't abandon hope on MOM rail line

Please allow a brief "fair use" quote:

http://www.app.com/article/20140414/NJO ... -rail-line

It’s back — and the need for it is greater than ever.

Earlier this week, Ocean County transit advocates asked state transportation officials to safeguard a portion of a freight line right of way that could be used for the moribund Monmouth-Ocean-Middlesex (MOM) commuter rail line in western Monmouth and Middlesex counties.

After three decades of debate on the subject and five years since there was any action at all on the issue, this is a positive sign.

Transportation Commissioner James Simpson agreed that the property for a future MOM line should be protected, but stopped short of any further commitment to one of three MOM routes. So the project remains in limbo, where the expense of it might keep it for a long time.

But that doesn’t negate the need for such a railway, nor the benefits it would bring. It is time to begin to look at the MOM line again with fresh eyes. With Ocean County’s continued population growth, it won’t be long until commuters outgrow the latest infrastructure improvements to the Garden State Parkway, and the need for expanded commuter rail service will become even more acute.

It is s small step but an important one.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby Matt Johnson » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:09 am

What section needs safeguarding, the OOS segment east of Freehold?
Matt Johnson

Postby MattW » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Has there been any discussion on whether this line would be electrified or not? I know it's still too early into the process to know for sure if it would go that way but has that option even been discussed on a more-than-just-us-railfans level?
MattW

Postby Push/Pull Master » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 am

MattW wrote:Has there been any discussion on whether this line would be electrified or not? I know it's still too early into the process to know for sure if it would go that way but has that option even been discussed on a more-than-just-us-railfans level?

All 3 alternatives would be diesel, with transfers at either Monmouth Junction or Newark. There isn't much of a point for electrification when you have the ALP 45s.
Push/Pull Master

Postby BigDell » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 am

Out of curiousity how much of the line is actually intact? Meaning could they run something through there now or would there need to be substantial work even to get a train through at this point? I know it's all a pipe-dream and a "wouldn't it be great if..." at this point, but I'm curious as to what is still there in a usable condition...
BigDell

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT