MOM Rail Service

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: MOM Rail Service

Postby Push/Pull Master » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

BigDell wrote:Out of curiousity how much of the line is actually intact? Meaning could they run something through there now or would there need to be substantial work even to get a train through at this point? I know it's all a pipe-dream and a "wouldn't it be great if..." at this point, but I'm curious as to what is still there in a usable condition...

I believe trains technically can run on it, but it would be very slow, aka 20 mph or slower. Therefore, it would need a major overhaul: new signals, bridges, crossings, ballast, tracks, etc.
Push/Pull Master

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:08 pm

You could run a scoot service at low speeds. If some ties were replaced and some ballasting done the speed could be bumped up to 40-60mph maybe, where there are no crossings. Many of the crossings have nothing other than flashing lights and will probably need gates to bring the speeds up.

No signals at all on the line, so signals and passing sidings would be needed to operate more than one train at once. Its currently mostly all single track all the way down.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Push/Pull Master » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:You could run a scoot service at low speeds. If some ties were replaced and some ballasting done the speed could be bumped up to 40-60mph maybe, where there are no crossings. Many of the crossings have nothing other than flashing lights and will probably need gates to bring the speeds up.

No signals at all on the line, so signals and passing sidings would be needed to operate more than one train at once. Its currently mostly all single track all the way down.

I guess that could be feasible, but I wonder how much even that would cost. Either way, NJT would still try to find a way to make the MOM Line ridiculously expensive. Regarding this project, NJT should really just start the project from scratch with a fresh start for once. Alternatives could be DMU shuttles or something else cost effective but this project is probably the Newtown Line of NJT unfortunately. :(
Push/Pull Master

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

New signaling installed would have to be PTC, and most likely be 562 also. The 562 would save a bit in cost because of the lack of wayside automatics, but where it saves the cost for PTC components will surely eat it up.
ApproachMedium

Postby nick11a » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am

ApproachMedium wrote:...but where it saves the cost for PTC components will surely eat it up.

And from what I hear about the cost, and then some!

With the exception of the Princeton Dinky line, NJT is not a fan of running a passenger railroad with DCS (Form D) rules. Other passenger railroads do this, but I can't see NJT doing this outside of emergencies (heck, even in emergencies it seems NJT doesn't like issuing Form Ds.)

As far as starting new rail line service, the company's policy has been for many years in doing things right. It's all or nothing. Yes, they could have started service on lines such as the MOM years ago without signaling to save costs but they won't do that. Now with the advent of PTC (and the unfortunate Metro North incident), it is going to be a must. I'm hearing various reports of how much PTC will cost and the numbers are wide and varied. Regardless of whether the cost will be astronomical or just very expensive, it is going to cost a great deal to implement.
~Nick O.: Moderator: NJT Rail

Moderator of the "widely popular" NJT Rail Forum! What once was first is now seventh!
nick11a

Postby acela314 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Im was just wondering: which alternative works best? I heard the Freehold-Matawan alternative isn't the best because of the Henry Hudson Trail on site (and NIMBYs). The Monmouth juction alternative seems pretty reasonable option to use due to its location near areas of limited rail service, but it diverges onto the NEC which is busy already!

A possible alternative that I think should work could be to go to South Amboy via the Amboy Secondary and Jamesburg. NJT can use the catenary poles that are currently still standing as electrification. Anyone agree?
acela314

Postby kilroy » Fri May 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Doesn't matter if the trains come on at Monmouth Jct or Rahway off the NY&LB, you end up on the NEC eiterh way. And where are you going to find slots into NYC? Without new tunnels, what's the point of bringing MOM on-line? Change at Newark? That won't get you the rider counts you want.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
kilroy

Postby ApproachMedium » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:45 pm

I think people fail to understand with how much drive there is coming from the lower towns of monmouth and upper part of ocean county regardless of how this train GETS to the NEC people will ride it. You do need to remember not everyone works in NYC. There are plenty of people in monmouth and ocean county that work in New Brunswick and Edison areas, which if the train went via the Monmouth Jct route would be a direct service too.

This state lacks some serious intrastate commuter service for those who dont go the interstate route to NYC or philly.
ApproachMedium

Postby Hawaiitiki » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:I think people fail to understand with how much drive there is coming from the lower towns of monmouth and upper part of ocean county regardless of how this train GETS to the NEC people will ride it. You do need to remember not everyone works in NYC. There are plenty of people in monmouth and ocean county that work in New Brunswick and Edison areas, which if the train went via the Monmouth Jct route would be a direct service too.

This state lacks some serious intrastate commuter service for those who dont go the interstate route to NYC or philly.

Service to Hoboken Terminal is quite good serving the growing Office Centers in Hoboken and Jersey City would be the only exception. But I wholeheartedly agree that in this time of no more slots into NYC for at least ten years, lets hope they can get the Northern Branch to Englewood and get at least one more intrastate project with shovels in the ground.
Double Track, Grade Separate, and Electrify America!
Hawaiitiki

Postby acela314 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:49 pm

MOM service to Hoboken wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Would a branch line service work (with transfers at Red Bank or Monmouth Junctions or South Amboy)? It appears to be cheaper and will still serve the region.
acela314

Postby Hawaiitiki » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:57 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:I think people fail to understand with how much drive there is coming from the lower towns of monmouth and upper part of ocean county regardless of how this train GETS to the NEC people will ride it. You do need to remember not everyone works in NYC. There are plenty of people in monmouth and ocean county that work in New Brunswick and Edison areas, which if the train went via the Monmouth Jct route would be a direct service too.

The believe the issue with that idea is that connection from the NEC to Hoboken(Waterfront) is only single track and is at capacity during rush hours. A second waterfront connection was on NJT's most recent dream list. But one only needs to look at the attached map to see how few things "dreamt of" come to fruition.

http://www.nj-arp.org/Assets/miscellane ... %20map.pdf
Double Track, Grade Separate, and Electrify America!
Hawaiitiki

Postby time » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Any news on this? The discussion about the Cutoff and Phillipsburg reminded me about this project, and it seems like this one would serve many more people than the other two combined (going by population density).
time

Postby keyboardkat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 am

At present the Conrail Shared Assets runs one freight train a week in each direction. They serve just one customer, a lumberyard in south lakewood. The train usually consists of a GP-38 and six or seven frame lumber cars. It blows for the crossings like you'd think it's the 20th Century Limited barreling down the line. But it actually moves at about 10 mph, partly because of the crossings, and partly due to the condition of the track and the wooden trestles. And more and more housing developments are encroaching on the right of way. If they ever announce restoration of passenger service, these people will scream real loud. Well, I'm sorry, guys, but the railroad was here first. When you see a track, think "train."
Fairbanks-Morse forever!
keyboardkat

MOM Rail.

Postby braves » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 am

Has anyone heard or is anything happening on the MOM rail project.

How could this effect Amtrak Northeast Corridor improvements if MOM is ever implemented.
braves

Re: MOM Rail.

Postby amtrakhogger » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:48 am

No disrespect intended, MOM is D.O.A. No money and too many NIMBY's.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT