New park/ride rail lots

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Post Reply
Dcell
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:14 pm

New park/ride rail lots

Post by Dcell » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:15 am

I came across a Star Ledger article by Kevin C Dilworth about a plan to build a park and ride lot for the Newark light rail line. The lot required a slight extension from its Belleville terminus and a new exit and entrance ramp from the Parkway. It says NJT put some money into this project what’s the status?

Roadgeek Adam
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Somewhere in Western New York
Contact:

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 am

I can't find the article you refer to, but the idea of a new parkway ramp is absurd. The idea of making Watsessing Avenue a park & ride terminal, I can believe, especially with Hartz Mountain gone. However, it seems unlikely that would happen.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.

CentralValleyRail
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by CentralValleyRail » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 am

And who in their right mind is going to ride it? The people commuting to Newark all 30 of them... Most of the employees in Newark have their own parking garages or take NJT rail into where they need to go. Riding the Newark Light Rail is horrific.

njt/mnrrbuff
Posts: 3343
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 am

I know that in the past, it has been brought up by planning boards to extend the NWK Light Rail from Grove Street Station to West Orange and that would include a stop at Watsessing Avenue. This would be nice, especially since the light rail would cater to suburb to suburb travelers(ex. going from West Orange to Bloomfield). If the light rail were to ever get extended from Grove Street to West Orange, I doubt that people would use it to travel end to end. Being that the proposed terminus would be along Main Street near the Orange border, people already have many direct bus routes, especially the 21. Plus the Orange Train Station is very close by too.

While I welcome the NWK Light Rail ending at Grove Street Station, it's not a true park & ride lot. I think NJT did that on purpose-being that Grove Street Station is really close to Bloomfield Ave, they didn't want to confuse people on the timetable with station naming. I pass through there almost daily on the way home from work and then grab a bus to either the other side of Bloomfield or Montclair.

Roadgeek Adam
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Somewhere in Western New York
Contact:

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I know that in the past, it has been brought up by planning boards to extend the NWK Light Rail from Grove Street Station to West Orange and that would include a stop at Watsessing Avenue. This would be nice, especially since the light rail would cater to suburb to suburb travelers(ex. going from West Orange to Bloomfield). If the light rail were to ever get extended from Grove Street to West Orange, I doubt that people would use it to travel end to end. Being that the proposed terminus would be along Main Street near the Orange border, people already have many direct bus routes, especially the 21. Plus the Orange Train Station is very close by too.

While I welcome the NWK Light Rail ending at Grove Street Station, it's not a true park & ride lot. I think NJT did that on purpose-being that Grove Street Station is really close to Bloomfield Ave, they didn't want to confuse people on the timetable with station naming. I pass through there almost daily on the way home from work and then grab a bus to either the other side of Bloomfield or Montclair.
West Orange? The ROW is encroached west of Watsessing Avenue. You'd have to find a new ROW. It's not happening, and West Orange would probably throw a Tenafly-fit.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.

Dcell
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Dcell » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 am

CentralValleyRail wrote:And who in their right mind is going to ride it? The people commuting to Newark all 30 of them... Most of the employees in Newark have their own parking garages or take NJT rail into where they need to go. Riding the Newark Light Rail is horrific.
I disagreed that the light rail line is horrific. Driving I-280 toward Newark in the morning is horrific and then leaving with gridlock Long Broad Street trying to get to Rutgers or Pru. An outlying Park and ride lot makes a ton of sense.

Dcell
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Dcell » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am

Dcell wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:And who in their right mind is going to ride it? The people commuting to Newark all 30 of them... Most of the employees in Newark have their own parking garages or take NJT rail into where they need to go. Riding the Newark Light Rail is horrific.
I disagree that the light rail line is horrific. Driving I-280 toward Newark in the morning is horrific and then dealing with gridlock along Broad Street trying to get to Rutgers or Pru. An outlying Park and ride lot makes a ton of sense.

ryanov
Posts: 4877
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ
Contact:

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by ryanov » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:21 am

Lots of people commute to Newark. Thousands. I know this because the traffic can be awful in the evening (and full of angry people who will mow you down in a crosswalk if they think it will save them 20 seconds).

The light rail is fine. End to end is only 20 minutes. Ridership is heavy at peak periods. Don't know what that guy is complaining about.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|

njt/mnrrbuff
Posts: 3343
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:54 pm

The plan for the light rail would be to end near the area where Northfield Ave meets Main St in West Orange. The majority of residential areas in West Orange are on the hills.

The NWK Light Rail between Grove Street Station and Newark Penn Station carries many riders. I ride it almost daily from Military Park to Grove Street and then walk to Bloomfield Ave to grab a bus to either Montclair or the north end of Bloomfield. The traffic in Downtown Newark during rush hour is horrendous. Many of the buses that serve Downtown Newark and travel on Washington St and then Broad lose a lot of time in only a few blocks because of traffic.

Roadgeek Adam
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Somewhere in Western New York
Contact:

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:08 am

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The plan for the light rail would be to end near the area where Northfield Ave meets Main St in West Orange. The majority of residential areas in West Orange are on the hills.

The NWK Light Rail between Grove Street Station and Newark Penn Station carries many riders. I ride it almost daily from Military Park to Grove Street and then walk to Bloomfield Ave to grab a bus to either Montclair or the north end of Bloomfield. The traffic in Downtown Newark during rush hour is horrendous. Many of the buses that serve Downtown Newark and travel on Washington St and then Broad lose a lot of time in only a few blocks because of traffic.
Also known as where the Orange Branch ended at West Orange station. Again, with all the ROW encroached, why would this be approved? Why can these people just not get to Watsessing Avenue for a park & ride?
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.

njt/mnrrbuff
Posts: 3343
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 am

Well the light rail extension to West Orange isn't top priority. At the very most, it would probably be extended to Watsessing Ave near the NJT Watsessing Ave Station. People who live in West Orange at the bottom of Northfield near Main Street have plenty of buses to choose from between that neighborhood and Downtown Newark- NJT's 21, 71, and 73. The 21 takes a little longer than the 71 and 73. From Erie Loop Station, located in Orange, but on the West Orange border, it takes the 71 and 73 about 30 minutes to travel to Downtown Newark. I don't think people who live in West Orange and Orange would use the light rail to get all the way to Newark when there are other options that presently bring them to Newark faster. People also use the train out of Orange and it is a faster ride to Downtown Newark, then if you take the bus all the way.

Dcell
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Dcell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 am

From Jerseydigs:
New Jersey Transit (NJT) is looking into the possibility of bringing back transit service on two unutilized rail lines in Essex and Hudson counties but is releasing barely any information regarding its plans.

The Newark-based statewide transportation agency revealed in its 2017 Annual Report that it has conducted initial work for the Boonton Line–Orange Branch Transit Utilization Study, which reportedly aims to find out what “transit opportunities” could come to these two former railroad routes.

Lisa Torbic, NJT’s Senior Public Information Officer, told Jersey Digs that “the goal of the Boonton Line-Orange Branch Transit Utilization Study is to examine the feasibility of utilizing the unused portions of the Boonton Line and Orange Branch rail corridors between Montclair, Belleville, and Secaucus to build capacity and resilience into the NJ TRANSIT network by exploring multiple modes of transportation.” However, Torbic stated that the study is in its early phases and that she could not provide a timeline or additional information regarding a possible restoration of service on these routes.

Roadgeek Adam
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:01 am
Location: Somewhere in Western New York
Contact:

Re: New park/ride rail lots

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Dcell wrote:From Jerseydigs:
New Jersey Transit (NJT) is looking into the possibility of bringing back transit service on two unutilized rail lines in Essex and Hudson counties but is releasing barely any information regarding its plans.

The Newark-based statewide transportation agency revealed in its 2017 Annual Report that it has conducted initial work for the Boonton Line–Orange Branch Transit Utilization Study, which reportedly aims to find out what “transit opportunities” could come to these two former railroad routes.

Lisa Torbic, NJT’s Senior Public Information Officer, told Jersey Digs that “the goal of the Boonton Line-Orange Branch Transit Utilization Study is to examine the feasibility of utilizing the unused portions of the Boonton Line and Orange Branch rail corridors between Montclair, Belleville, and Secaucus to build capacity and resilience into the NJ TRANSIT network by exploring multiple modes of transportation.” However, Torbic stated that the study is in its early phases and that she could not provide a timeline or additional information regarding a possible restoration of service on these routes.
From what we can guess, this involves the Forest Hill direction, not an extension to West Orange
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.

Post Reply

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”