New Jersey Transit is failing to expand

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, Kaback9, ACeInTheHole

Re: New Jersey Transit is failing to expand

Postby Defiant » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:26 pm

I think other than the Gateway tunnels and other projects for which there is already a design, NJT really needs to concentrate on improving the reliability of it service. The Fat Moron, previous Governor of this beautiful state really ran NJT to the ground. I take BC line every day and the service has really deteriorated in the last few years. Trains are cancelled on a weekly basis, there are daily delays, mechanical issues, etc. Here are just a few alerts I received today:

"MBPJ train service is suspended in both directions between Ridgewood and Glen Rock due to fallen trees across tracks.

Sent: 11:44 AM"

"1 of 2: MBPJ train service has now resumed with trains subject to up to 45 minute delays in both directions

Sent: 12:02 PM"

"2 of 2: between Ridgewood and Glen Rock following earlier fallen trees across tracks.

Sent: 12:03 PM"

"Bus Route No. 164, the 11:26 am departure from IKEA, Paramus to NY PABT is experiencing delays of up to 40 minutes due to an earlier mechanical problem.

Sent: 12:14 PM"

I think NJT should concentrate on the basics, such as removing grade crossing where possible, buying more bi level cars and newer buses. Electrifying exiting diesel lines would be great. At this point, this is not a system that is ready for any major expansion.
Defiant

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Defiant wrote:I think NJT should concentrate on the basics, such as removing grade crossing where possible, buying more bi level cars and newer buses. Electrifying exiting diesel lines would be great. At this point, this is not a system that is ready for any major expansion.

Agreed. I also have a potentially-unpopular opinion:

South Jersey needs commuter rail.

They don’t and never will contribute to the state revenue coffers like North or Central Jersey, but the greater PHL area is still massive. Buses, PATCO, the ACL, and the River Line are inadequate to support further growth, either in population or in NJ Senate & House cooperation. I suggest converting the River Line to FRA-compatible DMU or diesel-hauled coach when BBD’s contract runs out, and also running DMUs (or mini-Comet sets) from Camden or PHL to Glassboro, Swedesboro, and Mt. Holly.

The Northern Branch LRT project is a great step too, especially if they can work out a dedicated bus link across the GWB.
mtuandrew

Postby EuroStar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Defiant wrote:I think NJT should concentrate on the basics, such as removing grade crossing where possible, buying more bi level cars and newer buses. Electrifying exiting diesel lines would be great. At this point, this is not a system that is ready for any major expansion.

When was the last time NJT eliminated a grade crossing? Trying to close streets tends to irk the local towns and grade separation runs on the order of $20M+ depending on what is around. All you will get is more fancy synchronized traffic lights like Midland Avenue crossing in Elmwood Park -- that was actually in an industrial area(so not many voters to complain about construction noise) and NJDOT still did not want to spend the money. Until the gates are down 30 minutes every hour during the rush hour no grade separation is coming to NJT.
EuroStar

Postby GooStats » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:19 pm

When was the last time NJT eliminated a grade crossing?

NJT closed one in Asbury Park a few years ago. Why I don't know.
THWND
GooStats

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT