NJ Transit "national disgrace"

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

NJ Transit "national disgrace"

Postby TDowling » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:12 pm

TDowling

Re: NJ Transit "national disgrace"

Postby CLamb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:49 am

How does he expect someone with only business education and a career in highway management to fix a railroad problem?
CLamb

Postby SecaucusJunction » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Well at least he's identified the problem. Now if only he can fix it...
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.
SecaucusJunction

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Some decades ago there was a widely circulated theory that if you understand the principles of management you can manage anything without actually knowing much about it. The key will be whether the newcomer 1) understands that there's a lot to learn and 2) is a fast learner.
ExCon90

Postby pumpers » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:09 pm

How many people did Christie give jobs to at NJ Transit (based of course mostly on political considerations, not that they were experts in running a transit system)?? I have heard numbers like a dozen or more (and in relatively high level jobs,too). I hope when Murphy talks about tear it down and built it back up, he has that in mind.
pumpers

Postby time » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:32 am

ExCon90 wrote:Some decades ago there was a widely circulated theory that if you understand the principles of management you can manage anything without actually knowing much about it. The key will be whether the newcomer 1) understands that there's a lot to learn and 2) is a fast learner.

They still teach that in B-school. It is partially true - Homer Simpson is a prime example.
time

Postby EuroStar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:28 pm

While familiarity with railroading is a plus, it is not necessary for top manger. As long as that business degree person knows how to find, hire and promote people with the right railroad knowledge, they will do fine. The current situation is due primarily to hiring and promotions being decided in Trenton by connections as opposed to by the people running the railroad and by merit.

We will wait and see, but I hope that those of upper management who did not deserve to be at NJT in first place get shown the door quickly. It is hard to imagine the replacements being worse.
EuroStar

Postby CentralValleyRail » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:50 am

I despise Phil Murphy with a passion but I've got news for you, he's 100% DEAD ON ACCURATE on this one. Of course the change needs to happens, words are just air.
CentralValleyRail

Postby blockline4180 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:26 pm

CentralValleyRail wrote:I despise Phil Murphy with a passion but I've got news for you, he's 100% DEAD ON ACCURATE on this one. Of course the change needs to happens, words are just air.

I agree wholeheartedly, however did he at least make a law and provision that said engineers or conductors will not be able to smoke pot on the job after it is legalized for recreational use, since it seems to be his most important issue lately?? Sorry, just some dry humor.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby EuroStar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 am

This thread seems the most appropriate to post a new article blaming car shortages on lack of spare parts: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2018/01/standing_on_a_train_right_now_it_might_be_because_nj_transit_cant_find_parts.html.
"(Those older) parts are difficult to procure because vendors no longer carry the parts," Lavell said. "Some equipment consumes parts faster than the vendors can bring them to the shelves."

I imagine that he is referring to the Arrows, but maybe even the older Comets are giving them trouble.
EuroStar

Postby blockline4180 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm

EuroStar wrote:This thread seems the most appropriate to post a new article blaming car shortages on lack of spare parts: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2018/01/standing_on_a_train_right_now_it_might_be_because_nj_transit_cant_find_parts.html.
"(Those older) parts are difficult to procure because vendors no longer carry the parts," Lavell said. "Some equipment consumes parts faster than the vendors can bring them to the shelves."

I imagine that he is referring to the Arrows, but maybe even the older Comets are giving them trouble.

When it comes to NJT, if an article about them says "new equipment is still years away" then it probably means 5+ years away.. I hope I'm wrong, but if your thinking they will have a bunch of new engines and EMU ML cars replacing everything by 2020 is wishful thinking, imho..
~Steve Pellettiere
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby blockline4180 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Another article....
Don't know how he can find 100 new more political hacks to replace the ones he wants the resignation letters for, but I guess you have to try anything..
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... ansit.html
~Steve Pellettiere
blockline4180

Postby EuroStar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:17 pm

blockline4180 wrote:Don't know how he can find 100 new more political hacks to replace the ones he wants the resignation letters for...

I suspect the thinking is that NJT can do without most of the political appointees. It is not as if they drive the buses or run the trains. I think Santoro knew this was coming, so he bowed out in advance.
EuroStar

Postby blockline4180 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

EuroStar wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Don't know how he can find 100 new more political hacks to replace the ones he wants the resignation letters for...

I suspect the thinking is that NJT can do without most of the political appointees. It is not as if they drive the buses or run the trains. I think Santoro knew this was coming, so he bowed out in advance.

Yeah true, good point.... I guess less is better then a lot who may cause further damage... Not that they haven't hit rock bottom already.
~Steve Pellettiere
blockline4180

Postby CentralValleyRail » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm

AH THE POOP HAS HIT THE FAN, FINALLY! SO HAPPY TO SEE ALL THE GARBAGE LEAVE and to think I personally know some of them makes me even more happy. Garbage in Garbage out.
CentralValleyRail

Next

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT