NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby kilroy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

NJT wants to purchase 25 acres in Middlesex County as a safe haven for equipment during hurricanes/flooding.

From nj.com.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/09/nj_transit_eyes_25_acres_in_central_jersey_to_park_trains_in_case_of_flood.html#incart_river_home

Now, officials want to negotiate with Conrail to buy about three miles of track and a total of 25 acres of land in New Brunswick and North Brunswick to create what officials call a "safe haven" to store trains in.

The Delco Lead and County Yard projects are estimated to cost a total of $368 million. A $183 million Federal Transit Administration grant would build a service and inspection building and five new tracks at County Yard in New Brunswick, to hold 144 rail cars and locomotives, NJ Transit officials said.

The state would provide $60 million in matching funds.

The state would pay the entire $125 million to build a second five-mile track next to the Delco lead, an industrial track in North Brunswick along to the Northeast Corridor line, to store 288 trains on during a storm. The work is scheduled to be finished at the end of 2021.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
User avatar
kilroy
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 am
Location: Central Jersey

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby pumpers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20 pm

I know they probably want to put catenary on the storm storage track, and this is NJ, but $125 Million for 5 miles? I doubt that track would even have any signalling.
pumpers
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:56 pm

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby time » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Why not expand Port Morris Yard, electrify it and build a storage and maintenance facility there? It's existing property, it's in a relatively safe area - high and dry - and with expanded facilities and electrification, would help to mitigate the Dover yard storage issues. Further service expansion westward and future Boonton line electrification would also benefit. In fact, one could argue that Dover Yard could be decommissioned and an expanded Port Morris yard would suffice. One big facility instead of two smaller facilities.
time
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby ryanov » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm

I know that the boneheads have driven off most of the employees here, but does anyone know why that yard near North Rahway wouldn't be a better choice? It seems huge, and looks like it would just need some work on the tracks and for a lot of wire to be strung. Maybe because there are not already facilities there, or something?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4585
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby OportRailfan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 pm

pumpers wrote:I know they probably want to put catenary on the storm storage track, and this is NJ, but $125 Million for 5 miles? I doubt that track would even have any signalling.


Maybe not the yard tracks at County, but the Delco lead would be a main track...well yeah, I'd see that being signaled.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby OportRailfan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:15 pm

ryanov wrote:I know that the boneheads have driven off most of the employees here, but does anyone know why that yard near North Rahway wouldn't be a better choice? It seems huge, and looks like it would just need some work on the tracks and for a lot of wire to be strung. Maybe because there are not already facilities there, or something?


That'd be Stiles St. yard, and it's owned by Conrail. That being said, NJT already owns County Yard (AFAIK) and the facilities for NJT's Jersey Ave M/W and T&E crews. I don't think they want to deal with trying to acquire more real estate up in Linden, when the ridership is focused out of New Brunswick/Jersey Ave., Princeton Jct., and midline on the Corridor, and they're sorta committed to trying to bring a station to North Brunswick near Adams M/W base. Money talks... you know the rest

See: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/02/north-brunswick-transit-village/
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby EuroStar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 am

time wrote:Why not expand Port Morris Yard, electrify it and build a storage and maintenance facility there? It's existing property, it's in a relatively safe area - high and dry - and with expanded facilities and electrification, would help to mitigate the Dover yard storage issues. Further service expansion westward and future Boonton line electrification would also benefit. In fact, one could argue that Dover Yard could be decommissioned and an expanded Port Morris yard would suffice. One big facility instead of two smaller facilities.


Port Morris Yard is on the wrong line. NJT needs an yard on the NEC. Sending trains to Port Morris or any yard on any other line will prevent quick resumption of service which was a major requirement for the emergency storage yard. The FTA has already issues a FONSI for County Yard and Delco Lead. The federal money from Sandy relief is there. While it would be nice to have an electric yard in Port Morris and electrified Boonton line and electric extension beyond Dover don't count on it in your lifetime. If NJT was to string up wires anywhere during the next 100 years the Raritan Line is the most likely candidate given ridership and operational considerations. It is very telling that in spite of the possibility of extending one or two Midtown Direct trains beyond MSU using the ALP45s (similarly to the North Jersey Coast Lone), it has not been done.
EuroStar
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby kilroy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 pm

OportRailfan wrote:
ryanov wrote:I know that the boneheads have driven off most of the employees here, but does anyone know why that yard near North Rahway wouldn't be a better choice? It seems huge, and looks like it would just need some work on the tracks and for a lot of wire to be strung. Maybe because there are not already facilities there, or something?


That'd be Stiles St. yard, and it's owned by Conrail. That being said, NJT already owns County Yard (AFAIK) and the facilities for NJT's Jersey Ave M/W and T&E crews. I don't think they want to deal with trying to acquire more real estate up in Linden, when the ridership is focused out of New Brunswick/Jersey Ave., Princeton Jct., and midline on the Corridor, and they're sorta committed to trying to bring a station to North Brunswick near Adams M/W base. Money talks... you know the rest

See: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/02/north-brunswick-transit-village/


I remember reading on a thread here hearing that NJT had signed an agreement to use Stile St as an emergency yard but then saw something saying that Stiles St Yard was prone to flooding too. From what other than rain I don't know. There is no river or creek near by.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
User avatar
kilroy
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 am
Location: Central Jersey

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby steemtrayn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:49 am

Instead of buying and maintaining a yard that wouldn't even get filled in time to save the equipment, wouldn't it make more sense to round up everything and send it to a high point on the main, like Summit or Middletown? Since service is suspended during the emergency, whose way would it be in? When the storm blows over, just put everything back to where it was and resume normal operations.
Just be glad you don't have to press "2" for English.

If Cass Elliot shared her sandwich with Karen Carpenter, they'd both be alive today.
User avatar
steemtrayn
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:45 pm
Location: Hudson County, NJ

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby kilroy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

One concern might be downed trees. You could trap all your equipment far from where you need it.

Nice thing about Stiles St is not only is it on the NEC where Amtrak has kept the tree problem to a minimum, there is a back door to the Garden State secondary you can use if need be .
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
User avatar
kilroy
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 am
Location: Central Jersey

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby ryanov » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Doesn't look like there's a ton of room to put more tracks at County. Am I wrong?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4585
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

Postby OportRailfan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 pm

ryanov wrote:Doesn't look like there's a ton of room to put more tracks at County. Am I wrong?


There are 2 former yards east of County that could be utilized. (Google Baldwin St. Yard, and Mile Run yard)
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7


Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blockline4180, Google Feedfetcher and 6 guests