The big sign at NY Penn Station is going going gone

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

The big sign at NY Penn Station is going going gone

Postby pumpers » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:55 pm

I posted this over on the Amtrak forum, but probably there were more NJT riders looking at that sign every day than Amtrak riders.
The "big board" sign with all Amtrak (and NJ Transit) departures at Penn Station is going going gone. http://www.twcnews.com/nys/watertown/ne ... ement.html (Was it a "Solari" sign?)
Penn station won't be the same without it. Where will I tell people I will meet them?

I heard on the radio it is being replaced by a bunch of little TV-like signs in different places, because the big crowd watching the big sign was too much of a, well, a big crowd. I'm not a daily commuter and don't have to put up with the crowd every day, but I kind of liked it.
JS
pumpers

Re: The big sign at NY Penn Station is going going gone

Postby Return to Reading Company Olney Sta » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:44 pm

The current board being replaced, which dates from about 2000, is not a mechanical Solari board, no.

It has digital characters, but it does have the appearance or "feel" of a mechanical board.
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Re: The big sign at NY Penn Station is going going gone

Postby TDowling » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:15 pm

As a side note, They should really use the concourse with the large board for Amtrak alone. NJ transit should somehow expand its own concourse instead of relegating the extra passengers all the way over there.
TDowling

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT