River Line

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

River Line

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I used The NJT River Line today for the first time and am confused by two things.

1. Does this line connect to the rest of the national railroad network?
2. Why is it only single tracked?

Sorry in advance if a thread for this already exists! I did a Google search!
theseaandalifesaver

Re: River Line

Postby waldwickrailfan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:46 am

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I used The NJT River Line today for the first time and am confused by two things.

1. Does this line connect to the rest of the national railroad network?

Sorry in advance if a thread for this already exists! I did a Google search!

1) yes, Conrail runs locals along it quite often
2) Not sure
CSX MP15T
waldwickrailfan

Postby chuchubob » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:29 am

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I used The NJT River Line today for the first time and am confused by two things.

The initial cost had to be kept down to a particular level to encourage the legislature to approve the project.
chuchubob

Postby chuchubob » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:50 pm

In this photo, NS 39G is on Conrail 2-running. It will turn left at the turnout onto the Delair Branch Connecting Track, which will put it onto Conrail's Delair Branch over the Delair bridge and on to West Philadelphia. The track that goes straight from that turnout merges with the River LINE track around the curve. The next track to the right is 1-running until the turnout, then (continuing straight) becomes New Leg of Wye and crosses the River LINE track (far right track) on a diamond. The River LINE track then merges with the Conrail track around the curve.
chuchubob

Postby dowlingm » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 am

The under construction light rail in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario has gauntlet track along part of the route so freight can operate with sufficient clearance vs the light rail platforms. I'm not sure how much of that shared ROW is double track but where it is, only one track is gauntleted and the other plain as the pre-existing line was a single track spur anyway.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/io ... st-1053650
dowlingm

Postby liftedjeep » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am

-Late last night (3/23), the Juniata Terminal SW1500 (#9625) left the NJ Transit RiverLine shops with the ex PRR caboose (#477863) to take a ballast train up to Florence, NJ. Seen here passing the RiverLine station at 36th St:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4669577

-Upon picking up the ballast hoppers at Haines MoW Yard, #9625 proceeded north past the RiverLine station in Palmyra very early this morning:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4669576

(not the greatest pictures as night action shots are a bit tricky)

Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
liftedjeep

Postby silverliner266 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Is there a reason that the schedule was not synchronized with the North East Corridor in Trenton? It arrives 3 minutes after the corridor leaves on the weekends and leaves a few minutes before it arrives.
Philadelphia "America's Next Great City."
silverliner266

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 am

silverliner266 wrote:Is there a reason that the schedule was not synchronized with the North East Corridor in Trenton? It arrives 3 minutes after the corridor leaves on the weekends and leaves a few minutes before it arrives.

I can only assume it is designed to lower ridership.

The last train from Camden waterfront (popular concert venue) arrives in Trenton right after the last NEC train leaves, making it absolutely useless.
jamesinclair

Postby EuroStar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:58 am

May I make a suggestion? The executive director has been holding public feedback sessions. Why not go to one of them and inquire about this? Make a suggestion that they adjust the schedule. While there is no guarantee, you would be surprised how much can be accomplished if one tries to do something rather than just complain about it. If you cannot go to one of the sessions go to one of the monthly board meetings or just write a polite letter explaining the issue.

While your mileage might vary depending who you contact, how well they understand the issue and how close/far they are from the decision makers on that particular issue, you would do good for many fellow passengers by pointing this out to the people at NJT. My personal experience was that certain schedule adjustment was made about 6 months after I wrote a letter explaining certain overcrowding issues during rush hour.
EuroStar

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT