Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

Re: Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

Postby EuroStar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm

It has been known for a while that the tunnel requires extensive work. To the best of my knowledge no contract has even been bid out for that work. The Andover station has also not been bid out, so there is no way that they will get anything by the end of 2020 even if they tried. If they tried hard, maybe 2022, but NJT has so many higher priority issues to address that there is no way they can dedicate meaningful resources to this.
EuroStar

Postby lensovet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:19 am

btw what was the service plan for this station? hackettstown service is already pretty sparse, so i can't imagine they would divert some of those trains. is there enough time in the schedule to extend dover trains and turn them in time?
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby Dcell » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:38 am

lensovet wrote:btw what was the service plan for this station? hackettstown service is already pretty sparse, so i can't imagine they would divert some of those trains. is there enough time in the schedule to extend dover trains and turn them in time?

I thought NJT was going to build a small yard in Andover but not where the former yard was located but I am not 100% certain.
Dcell

Postby jrzwalker86 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi D-Cell,
If you are unaware of Chuck Walsh's You-tube series on the Lackawanna Cutoff, here are a couple of links that may answer the previous two questions you had.
Roseville Tunnel, (whole segment) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8AtEdDwVU
Andover Station, (during the first several minutes). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IsgaKMJWQs&t=156s
Each was made two years ago and last Summer respectively.
Best regards,
jrzwalker86

Postby EuroStar » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:25 am

Dcell wrote:I thought NJT was going to build a small yard in Andover but not where the former yard was located but I am not 100% certain.

Why would they build a yard in Andover? Maybe a tail track of one-two trains length, but a yard? The Morris Yard is just one station back and the wye was supposed to be restored.
EuroStar

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT