Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

Postby Jeff Smith » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 am

REAL NEWS: NJ Herald

Andover Twp. urges end to dispute blocking rail line extension

ANDOVER TOWNSHIP -- The Township Committee is circulating a resolution to other municipalities in Sussex County asking governing bodies to join in asking Hudson Farms to allow work to be done on its property that would lead to completion of the long-proposed commuter rail line into the county.

Known as the Lackawanna Cutoff extension, the New Jersey Transit project is stymied by a final environmental permit needed from the state Department of Environmental Protection to build a train station on Roseville Road. Without a station, there's no need to finish the new rails westward from Port Morris along the old Lackawanna Cutoff railbed.

At issue is a culvert that allows a small stream, known as Andover Junction Brook, to flow under a driveway that leads from Roseville Road onto property known as Hudson Farm West.

NJ Transit has offered to pay all costs associated with reconstruction of the culvert. A rebuilt culvert is being required by engineers with the DEP as mitigation for a needed permit to allow the station to be built in what computer models say is the floodplain of the brook.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby philipmartin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:13 am

[quote="Jeff Smith"]REAL NEWS: NJ Herald

[quote]Andover Twp. urges end to dispute blocking rail line extension

I particularly like the last paragraph in the article: "Because of restrictions imposed by environmental law, work to clear the station site and on the rest of the project can only proceed during certain times of the year because of breeding seasons of endangered species along the route and habitat those species use in warmer weather." :wink:

Off topic: anybody know where my avatar went?
philipmartin

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:53 am

philipmartin wrote:Off topic: anybody know where my avatar went?

If it's Photobucket, they're having some sort of server meltdown this morning.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby philipmartin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank you for the information about Photobucket. I don't remember if I used it or not. I've now replaced it with my avatar from Friends of the Rail.
philipmartin

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:55 am

More news about the Cutoff: Pocono Record

Fair-use SNIPS:

Monroe County gives $50,000 for train study
Monroe and Lackawanna counties have put a supplemental investment into the intermittent Rail Service Restoration Project under the Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Rail Authority.

Monroe County Commissioners approved a funding request at their Tuesday morning meeting to grant the authority $50,000 for a feasibility study into the costs of a restored rail service from Scranton to New York. The requested $50,000 grant was previously matched by Lackawanna County and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s metro and rural planning organizations.
The engineering consultant would also be providing cost estimates and specifications on the project, updating information originally comprised for the project in 2006. At that time, the project — which includes the connection of a rail from northeast Pennsylvania to New Jersey — was estimated at about $550 million, authority president Larry Malski said.

That projection included the construction of new stations and 11 train sets, Malski said, as well the construction of seven miles of railroad currently being done by New Jersey Transit in partnership with the project. The 2006 projection also doesn’t include the incremental phases by which the authority has broken the project into, Malski said.
The second phase of the project will include connecting the line to Pennsylvania — along the Interstate 80 and 81 corridor, according to the summary — and the third phase will finally connect it to Scranton.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby kilroy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Given the proposed light rail’s significance in Monroe and Lackawanna counties — and their fiscal backing of a study on it — Malski believes there’s a “local grassroots” support for the project.

Where did the reporter come up with this being a light rail line?

And I'm sure the price tag will be double the 2006 figure and won't include the 7 miles NJT is currently building or the cost of the train sets.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
kilroy

Postby Matt Johnson » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:28 am

kilroy wrote:Where did the reporter come up with this being a light rail line?

I've noticed a lot of people mistakenly equate the term light rail with commuter rail.
Matt Johnson

Postby ajt » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:01 pm

...and mistakenly equate heavy rail (subway) with commuter rail.

Even commuter rail is a misnomer given the volume of off-peak and weekend travel.
ajt

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Real news: http://www.njherald.com/20170301/andove ... -deadlock#

ANDOVER TOWNSHIP -- The Township Committee, tired of the waiting game for a commuter rail station to be built in the township, moved Monday night to seize land, or at least the right to do work on that land, which would in turn allow New Jersey Transit to get the last permit needed to bring train service to Sussex County.

The committee introduced an ordinance that authorizes the township attorney or a special counsel to begin proceedings, either through negotiations or eminent domain, to obtain the temporary easement to rebuild a private culvert that goes under a driveway and past a barn at the Hudson Farm property, across the road from where the station is planned.

The public hearing on the ordinance is set for 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 13, and could lead to a vote that evening.

Because of restrictions in place by the state Department of Environmental Protection to protect habitat for endangered and threatened species, clearing the wooded area where the station is to be built can only be done during late fall and winter months.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby lensovet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:57 pm

who are they seizing it from?
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby SemperFidelis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:06 pm

lensovet wrote:who are they seizing it from?

I guess (focus on guess) whomever the owner of Hudson Farm is.
SemperFidelis

Postby GojiMet86 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 pm

lensovet wrote:who are they seizing it from?

Three such seasons have already passed with no resolution in negotiations between NJ Transit and the IAT Reinsurance Co. Ltd., the listed property owner, which in turn leases about 3,800 acres, including the Hudson Farm property, to the Hudson Farm Club, an exclusive group of individuals who use the property for shooting and fishing.

IAT was founded in the early 1980s by Peter Kellogg, one of the wealthiest businessmen in New Jersey, who is strongly pro-conservation and owns large, undeveloped parcels of land in Andover, Byram and Hopatcong.
GojiMet86

Postby lensovet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:30 am

you would think a conservationist would be happy to support a train that could reduce the number of cars on the road, but what do i know…
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby EuroStar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:37 am

lensovet wrote:you would think a conservationist would be happy to support a train that could reduce the number of cars on the road, but what do i know…

You would think. But these days conservationists are not much more than thinly veiled NIMBYs who are against anything and everything. I would have though that NJTransit itself has access imminent domain powers as last resort. I am surprised that they need the town to do it for them. The owner is probably politically connected to the governor and there is likely a verbal order from up high to NJTransit officials to keep this on back burner. You would think that someone else paying to fix infrastructure on your property is incentive enough for most owners, but alas no ...
EuroStar

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:36 am

You would think that someone else paying to fix infrastructure on your property is incentive enough for most owners, but alas no ...

If you read the article, the landowner is concerned about their property flooding if the new culvert is built - which makes no sense to me, but that's their reasoning. They don't view it as "fixing" anything, because replacing the culvert doesn't benefit them - it benefits NJT by allowing them to build a train station in a floodplain.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT