Northern Branch HBLR (was DMU proposal)

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

Re: Northern Branch HBLR (was DMU proposal)

Postby Hawaiitiki » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:22 pm

If you need a sample of the some of the delusional xenophobic nut-jobs who inhabit Tenafly that got the HBLR stopped, look no further than Caren Z. Turner, the epitome of the delusional disconnect of the "educated" coastal white elite. The migration of this type of person to the Democratic Party put Donald Trump in the White House.
(Before I get flamed, I'm born and raised in Bergen County myself, white, and usually a left-leaning voter)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/watch_video_shows_pa_commissioner_telling_cops_to.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vlu1FRaic#action=share

I know this isn't explicitly about Light Rail but speaks to the impossible task convincing people in Tenafly to allow the Light Rail. And of course she was a Christie appointee who worked for the Port Authority. :wink: Sometimes this stuff writes itself.
Double Track, Grade Separate, and Electrify America!
Hawaiitiki

Postby GojiMet86 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 pm

http://www.metro-report.com/news/news-b ... udget.html

Light rail extensions supported in NJ Transit budget

10 Aug 2018

USA: On August 8 New Jersey Transit announced that it would be spending $3.8bn in the 2019 financial year as the operator seeks to address an urgent shortfall in investment. The budget allocates $2.3bn for ongoing operations and $1.5bn for capital spending.

As well as operating a large main line passenger rail operation primarily linking towns across New Jersey with New York City and Hoboken, NJT also runs three light rail networks and a state-wide bus network.

While much of the investment budget covers spending on commuter rail including Positive Train Control installation, there is also substantial capital spending planned for urban transport. Bus and light rail infrastructure has been allocated $151m, which includes $9m for the Capital Asset Replacement Programmes for both the Newark Light Rail and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail networks.

A total of $148m in general improvements is to be spent across the bus and light rail operations, while $39m has been allocated to network expansion. This covers $34m for the HBLR Northern Branch expansion and $2m for the HBLR Route 440 Improvement scheme. A $41m allocation is to be provided for ‘enhanced mobility services’ for senior citizens and those with disabilities in both urban and rural areas.

Approximately 54% of the capital budget comes from the Transportation Trust Fund, and a further 41% is funded by the Federal Transit Administration and Federal Highway Administration.

GojiMet86

Postby MaRoFu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 am

Good to know that at least SOME part of the budget is still being spent on this project, despite the whole fiasco involving PTC, equipment, crew shortages, etc...

Besides, isn't 2029 kind of a stretch? I know they need to repair the existing track/add catenary and tracks/build stations, but I doubt this will take more than 7 years unless something goes wonky that delays the construction.

Now watch as this thread suddenly becomes dormant again for another six months as NJT slugs through the project :wink:
Train systems ridden (excl. airport trains): Amtrak, CTA Loop, D.C. Metro, JR (Central, East, West), Keisei, M&Erie, NJ Transit (NLR & HBLR), NYC Subway, Osaka City Subway, PATH, Shizutetsu, TDR Monorail, Tokyo Metro, TTC Metro/Streetcar
MaRoFu

Postby Defiant » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 am

Hawaiitiki wrote:If you need a sample of the some of the delusional xenophobic nut-jobs who inhabit Tenafly that got the HBLR stopped, look no further than Caren Z. Turner, the epitome of the delusional disconnect of the "educated" coastal white elite. The migration of this type of person to the Democratic Party put Donald Trump in the White House.
(Before I get flamed, I'm born and raised in Bergen County myself, white, and usually a left-leaning voter)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/watch_video_shows_pa_commissioner_telling_cops_to.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vlu1FRaic#action=share

I know this isn't explicitly about Light Rail but speaks to the impossible task convincing people in Tenafly to allow the Light Rail. And of course she was a Christie appointee who worked for the Port Authority. :wink: Sometimes this stuff writes itself.

But theoretically speaking, if Tenafly is so opposed to light rail they don't necessarily have the power to stop its expansion North of them, at some point. The ROW does not belong to them so they can't really stop the state agency from using it. They just don't get a station or parking...
Defiant

Postby Defiant » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 am

GojiMet86 wrote:http://www.metro-report.com/news/news-by-region/americas/single-view/view/light-rail-extensions-supported-in-nj-transit-budget.html

Light rail extensions supported in NJ Transit budget

10 Aug 2018

A total of $148m in general improvements is to be spent across the bus and light rail operations, while $39m has been allocated to network expansion. This covers $34m for the HBLR Northern Branch expansion and $2m for the HBLR Route 440 Improvement scheme. A $41m allocation is to be provided for ‘enhanced mobility services’ for senior citizens and those with disabilities in both urban and rural areas.

Approximately 54% of the capital budget comes from the Transportation Trust Fund, and a further 41% is funded by the Federal Transit Administration and Federal Highway Administration.

$34 million out of required 1 billion or so? It is safe to say that this project is not going to happen for a while. But also, the feedback I often hear from people using HBLR is that it is slow. It is not grade separated and I think the maximum speeds are limited by NJT for safety. As a result, many people unfortunately say that the bus could be faster. Of course HLBR provides more capacity and behaves better in bead weather...

But honestly, in my opinion, given the PTC installation, frequent train cancellations and other challenges NJT has no business expanding its network. Outside of the Gateway program of course. It should just stick to improving existing service, enhancing service resiliency and hopefully improving the evening schedule on the rail...
Defiant

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT