NYSW Passenger Service Restoration

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: NYSW Passenger Service Restoration

Postby MickD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Money would be better spent at this point
getting HBLR extension to Englewood done ASAP...
Hackensack to N.Bergen after that maybe..
MickD

Postby time » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:40 am

From a "numbers served" point of view, wouldn't the MOM project be the best fit for any system expansion? I realize the costs may not be the same, since the NYSW is an existing in service line, but if I were at the top, I'd be pushing that project ahead. Someone replied that the NYSW service largely duplicates existing service. MOM would bring commuter rail to areas that are not served by rail, have high congestion and require busses that further clog our highways.
time

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 am

A little older, but timely.

http://www.njherald.com/20170813/from-t ... ves-aug-13

25 years ago

Aug. 13, 1992

Rails offer more commuter service for county

NJ Transit set to purchase 28-mile Lackawanna cutoff

NEWTON -- The restoration of the passenger train service to northwestern New Jersey, which could extend as far as Warwick, N.Y., is part of an ambitious plan unveiled earlier this week which outlines NJ Transit plans to upgrade its passenger service throughout the state.

The reactivation plan includes not only the NYS&W line, but also reactivation and extension of two other rail lines serving northwestern New Jersey. The plans include:

Reactivation of a nine-mile extension of the Boonton Line from its current terminus in Netcong into Hackettstown. According to a transit official, the extension will serve commuters from Hackettstown to destinations along the Boonton and Morristown lines, Newark, Hoboken and New York. The extension will also enable NJ Transit to serve the developing Mount Olive International Trade Center, a transit official said.

A report by NJ Transit officials also notes the state Department of Transportation is purchasing the 28-mile-long Lackawanna Cutoff Right of Way for possible future transportation use. The purchase of the cutoff is being funded by the state's 1989 Abandoned Railroad Rights of Way Bond Issue, which allocated about $10 million for the cutoff purchase.

The line, which stretches from Port Morris in Roxbury into Pennsylvania, runs through Morris, Warren and Sussex counties. Byram, Stanhope, Green and Andover Township in Sussex County are among the municipalities the cutoff runs though.

The cutoff has the potential to provide rail transportation in Sussex and Warren Counties, serve the Delaware River Water Gap Recreation Area, and provide an additional transportation corridor into Pennsylvania, the report stated.

NJ Transit will consider using the cutoff as an extension of its existing commuter rail network as travel demand increases, according to the report.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Hawaiitiki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 am

It's just crazy that in the time period from when the article was written until now, the population of America's already most crowded state (NJ) has risen by over 1mn people. And we're in the same spot we were 25 years ago with these projects...NOWHERE.

And sure, you could say the areas where population has really exploded isn't Bergen or Sussex County, its down the shore. Fair enough. But its not like anything has happened in Monmouth or Ocean County either.

It seems like the only place where a project will get done these days in the Northeast is where some politico is in the pockets of developers who want to build condos along the proposed rail line (cough HBLR, cough RiverLine, cough 7 Train to Hudson Yards). Sorry all you lifelong NJ property owners, hope you like the bus and your deteriorating commuter rail system.

I've been on these forums for ten years now, and I've seen Democrats and Republicans come and go with all the same lack of effectiveness. And I think this is how we all feel.

Double Track, Grade Separate, and Electrify America!
Hawaiitiki

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT