stand clear of the moving platform

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

stand clear of the moving platform

Postby hi55us » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm

This is by far the most dangerious thing I have ever seen on any subway system, I usually don't ride the train through union square on the 4/5/6 but I was shocked to find the moving platforms, are their other stations with these?
hi55us

Re: stand clear of the moving platform

Postby tommyboy6181 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:05 pm

The old South Ferry station had the movable curved platform. Only problem was they could only load/offload the first 5 cars. The new station has a straight platform that fits all cars.
Gotta love Alstom. Every year on opening day of hunting season, it is a paid holiday! :wink:
tommyboy6181

Postby Kamen Rider » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 am

Old South Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge (closed south ends of the express tracks), 14th street, times sq on the shuttle tracks and a few stations in Hong Kong
仮面ライダー / Kamen Rider
Rider JUMP! Rider KICK!
Kamen Rider

Postby TheGandyDancer » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:25 pm

The biggest fright that ever came from the moving platform was the rare mechanical failure whereby the platform either failed to push out or only did so partially. At South Ferry there was the added tilt, which leaned the train away and raised the step. Those were great times.
TheGandyDancer

Postby District D RTC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 am

> by hi55us » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm
> This is by far the most dangerious thing I have ever seen on any subway system,
> I usually don't ride the train through union square on the 4/5/6 but I was
> shocked to find the moving platforms, are their other stations with these?

It's NOT "the most dangerous thing....it makes these stations LESS dangerous. Thats why they're there - because without them the gap would be big enough to BE dangerous. Even despite being a recent accident with them involving a D-rate actor - it was not the fault of the 'gap fillers' as their called - as at least once a month some genius manages to get caught between the train and the platform edge with or without gap-fillers just as often.....
District D RTC

Postby keyboardkat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

You think this is dangerous? In London, there is at least one station on a curve like this, and they have no moving platforms. And the uncovered live third rail is waiting for you down in that gap, too. Instead of gap fillers, there is a P.A. announcement over and over, with (I assume) a continuous tape loop: "Mind the gap. Mind the gap. Mind the gap. Mind the gap." And that's it.

Over there, they expect people to take responsibility for themselves. Some idiot who steps into a gap and gets injured over there will not find lawyers lined up ready to sue. You want to sue? They don't have contingency fees there. You pay your lawyer, and if you lose, you pay the other side's lawyer fees, too.
Fairbanks-Morse forever!
keyboardkat

Postby keith jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:51 pm

I will add that in most platforms on the London underground network,the juice rail in the platforms are on the other side from the platform edge. there may be a odd one but none spring to mind
keith jackson

Postby railfan365 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:10 pm

There are signs up cautioning passengers to stand clear of the moving platforms. Also, they have a twin plate design that one slides under the other like steps on an escalator. It's not as dangerous as some of us think.
railfan365

Return to NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT