Grand Central Station Complex (incl Upgrades): 4, 5, 6, S

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

Grand Central Station Complex (incl Upgrades): 4, 5, 6, S

Postby goatling » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:13 pm

Admin note: repurposing thread. Also, to clarify, "Station" is proper here; we're not referring to the MNRR Terminal ;). There once was a New York Central Grand Central Station; it was replaced by GCT.

I'm working on a video game, part of which takes place in a subway system. I'm looking for plans of the complex pedestrian interchanges between lines in stations like Times Sq. or Grand Central that I remember from my days in NYC, plans to use for reference when building environments for our game. (Located in Seattle now, where we have no such transit stations around here to go look at!) I've looked all over the web but I can't find any plans for these subway stations.

thanks for any help.
goatling

Postby 7 Train » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:55 pm

With all these security measures, I doubt the TA will have plans of major stations. NYCSubway.org however, has photos of these stations, which can help.
7 Train

Postby Otto Vondrak » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:15 pm

I think someone else is already working on a Duke Nukem 3D map (or something like that) of Grand Central Terminal... check out our Computer Simulations forums.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Grand Central Shuttle Question

Postby JoeG » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:37 am

In Grand Central, the shuttle trains stop some distance from the end of track, despite the fact that almost all passengers come from that end. Anyone know why?
JoeG

Postby chuchubob » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:32 pm

The MTA hopes that with proper exercise, including walking briskly a half block from the station entrance to the train, their customers will last as long as their subway trains, including these 80+ year old Lo-V's that are still operating in charter service in celebration of the subway's centennial.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Bob- ... 4_11_21_07

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Bob- ... 4_11_21_14
chuchubob

Postby Allan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:45 pm

To allow for the crowd to "thin out" a bit before they get to the staircases leading up. Otherwise there would be a mass of people trying to go in one direction while the people heading to the shuttle would be coming in the other.

True you have this now but the distance creates space between the masses.
Allan

Postby R142A » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:24 pm

The stop markers are placed several feet in advance, to give some slack room in case of an overshot (which is unlikely since the trains are traveling at a ridiculously low speed anyway.) If the stop markers had been placed forward of where they are now, there wouldn't be much slack room and an overshoot would mean bumper hit.
R142A

Shuttle in Grand Central Derails - 3/1/05

Postby Mike Roque » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:40 am

A 42nd Street subway shuttle overshot the end of its track at Grand Central Terminal early yesterday and smashed into a concrete block. Transit officials said that the shuttle's operator had lost control of the four-car train but that they did not know if he had fallen asleep, fainted or otherwise lost consciousness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/01/nyreg ... erail.html?
Mike Roque

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:46 am

Maybe he might have fainted, I hope the motorpersonel are fine, and I'm hoping they weren't positive for drugs either.....

Glad it didn't do 40MPH otherwise, that train would most likely hit the walkway where people walk, I've been at that station myself and see where the track ends, right onto a walkway.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby 7 Train » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:50 pm

Lead car was 1956. Suffered "minor" damage, including denting of the anticlimber (bumper) and coupler. A "fender bender", simply speaking.
7 Train

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:32 pm

Robert, no walkway over the tracks at Grand Central Station end. Removable walkway is at the Times Square Station end.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby F40 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:42 pm

I think he meant the walkway (or platform) past the end of the tracks, not over the tracks. If I think he means what he means, there are several terminuses with that setup. Flushing Main St. station and Flatbush Av. are two of the several in which you can walk to the end of the platform and walk around to the other platform on a 2 island-platform, 2 track station.
DANGER - DO NOT GET OFF MOVING TRAIN
F40

Location: Edison, NJ, NEC MP 24.78 / Piscataway, NJ Rutgers Univ

Postby AMoreira81 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Either way, it looks as though he fell asleep. He could end up packing it in, either by termination or retirement.
AMoreira81

Postby Lirr168 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:37 pm

I would have to think that there's more to this story then we're getting. Think about it logically: the Shuttle's run is less then 7 minutes in either direction, how do you fall asleep in that short period of time under normal circumstances? If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the motorman was probably on some sort of medication that decreased his alertness; some of those prescriptions can knock you out pretty quick. However, that's no excuse - had this been at the height of the rush hour, people could have been seriously injured or even killed.
Lirr168

Postby F40 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:41 pm

Maybe loss of good judgment because of a long and tiring day...?
DANGER - DO NOT GET OFF MOVING TRAIN
F40

Location: Edison, NJ, NEC MP 24.78 / Piscataway, NJ Rutgers Univ

Next

Return to NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT