Second Avenue Subway Phase II - IV Planning / Construction

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

Re: Second Avenue Subway Phase II - IV Planning / Construct

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:23 pm

trainbrain wrote:<SNIP>Another thing I forgot to mention: The Bronx extension that I mentioned earlier had all 5 trains going up WP Road with the 2. However, the terminal at Wakefied 241st Street probably can't handle both services. It might be a better idea to have 5 trains split between the WP Road and Pelham Lines if the Q ever takes over Dyre Ave. This would give Pelham Line passengers access to an express service in Manhattan.

I think it's been said on here elsewhere the WP Road line is pretty close to capacity, and turns are tough. In addition, the Dyre Ave. only has tail tracks, and no yard to speak of.

Another issue is the difference in A and B division cars. You can't run a Q up WP Road. You might have the clearance on the Dyre, but you'd have to modify all the platforms, and/or reinstate the express tracks from the NYW&B days.

I think if you want it in the Bronx, you'd either have to:

- tie it in to the Concourse Line (B Division),
- run it up the right of way of the NEC to Co-Op City (a former 6-track ROW as far as West Farms/180)

While I like the idea of a reborn 3rd Avenue line in the Bronx (albeit subway vs el), I don't think that will ever happen. I think they'd extend the Concourse line first. As others have said, we'll be lucky to get Phase III or IV.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Second Avenue Subway Phase II - IV Planning / Construct

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Pretty in-depth. Likely not realistic, of course, but worth a look: http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index ... nue-subway
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT