Paper Metrocards

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

Paper Metrocards

Postby jackintosh11 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 pm

I've seen a lot of paper metrocards recently - are they replacing the plastic ones with paper? Seems like it could save them some money.
jackintosh11

Re: Paper Metrocards

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Ones that are on MNR/LIRR monthlies are paper...they're not replacing plastic with paper
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby STrRedWolf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:31 pm

MTA would need to switch over to NFC like WMATA and CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) did. That means adapting or replacing the fare gates all over the place.

My question for that would be "WHY HAVEN'T THEY ALREADY SWITCHED?!?" It definitely would save money. CTA does have one-way NFC "paper" but even then that saves a ton.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:15 pm

The paper ones on MNR/LIRR ticket stock aren't NFC...they still have a stripe.

New fare collection is allegedly on the way...2019 (or later.)
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Allan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:02 pm

You can buy a regular MetroCard from a MNR/LIRR ticket vending machine but the MetroCard will be a paper one rather than a plastic one. They will have the 'Instructions' for use on subway or bus on the back.

The combination MetroCards are available on the Weekly or Monthly rail tickets. Those have the Metrocard with stripe on one side and the MNR or LIRR ticket on the other.
Allan

Return to NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT