The (W) is returning to the subway

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

The (W) is returning to the subway

Postby Hamilton Express » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:07 pm

The (W) is gonna make a comeback! :D

"The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is pulling the W train off the shelf and returning it to service – all part of the route changes announced Friday in anticipation of the Second Avenue subway opening."

Read more:http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2016/02/19/w-train-is-coming-back-.html

UPDATEThe MTA has made a press release about the announcement.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-t ... ay-service

Spread the word! :)
<1> Hamilton Express (Fantasy)
Rush hours runs express between 137th Street-City College to South Ferry.
Hamilton Express

Re: The (W) is returning to the subway

Postby Jeff Smith » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:05 am

From PIX11.com

The service changes would be implemented in Fall 2016 and would cost about $13.7 million a year.

W trains will make all local stops from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to Whitehall St via the Broadway Line. No service on weekends or late night. The W line would replace the Q line in Queens.
The Q line will temporarily terminate at 57th St / 7 Ave. until the Second Avenue Subway is completed.
After completion, Q trains will go from 96 St in Manhattan to Coney Island-Stillwell Av in Brooklyn, stopping at: 86 St, 72 St, Lexington Av/63 St, 57 St/7 Av and all express stops on the Broadway Line in Manhattan. During late nights, the Q will run local between Brooklyn and Manhattan via the Manhattan Bridge. Service in Brooklyn remains the same.
N trains will run express into Manhattan from 34th St-Herald Square to Canal Street. Service in Brooklyn and Queens will be the same.
R service will be unchanged.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Head-end View » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 pm

I like it!............. What is the current projected opening of the first segment of the Second Ave. Line to 96th St?
Head-end View

Postby Union Tpke » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:03 pm

It would be great if they could extend it to Ninth Avenue, but that isn't going to happen due to a car shortage. It was really stupid of the MTA to scrap all of those R32s.
Union Tpke

Postby Union Tpke » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Head-end View wrote:I like it!............. What is the current projected opening of the first segment of the Second Ave. Line to 96th St?

December 2016
Union Tpke

Postby Kilgore Trout » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:24 am

I spotted these signs at Times Square today. November 7th is creeping up on us...

Welcome to New York Penn Station. You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Kilgore Trout

Postby Allan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:28 pm

New station wall maps (dated November 2016) are already being installed at various locations.

There is word that they are starting to install November 2016 maps inside some subway cars.
Allan

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Funny enough only SOME signs at Times Square seemed to have gotten the treatment based upon what I saw on Sunday.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby trainbrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:00 pm

Noticed that they tested R68's on the Second Avenue Line in addition to R160's. Does that mean that R68's will run on the N, Q, and W more frequently? The W is supposed to run in the same service pattern that it did when it was discontinued in 2010. Weekdays only, fully local from Astoria to South Ferry. The N will run express in Manhattan whenever the W is operating and local when it is not.

With the L train shutdown the G will be lengthened to either 6 or 8 cars, not sure which one. If it's 6 cars, then it will only be able to run R46's as the R68's are in 4 car sets only. That might mean that the R68's could get reassigned to the Q or N.
trainbrain

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:49 pm

They're testing a multitude of things, assume nothing.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Crabman1130 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:00 am

Kilgore Trout wrote:I spotted these signs at Times Square today. November 7th is creeping up on us...

What happens on Nov 7th?
Crabman1130

Postby Personality Sphere #0324 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Didn't even know the W train existed.
Personality Sphere #0324

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 pm

It existed. I'm surprised it's coming back, though. I would of thought they would just extend the Q all the way up the 2nd Ave line from Coney Island.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby rr503 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am

They are. W is to replace Q in queens.
rr503

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Have they posted the maps lately? I kinda looking for a visual guide.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Next

Return to NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT