PATH and the FRA

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:48 pm

I was referred to these K-car flats: 1247 and 1224. Previously they were work box motors as recently as the late 1990s. There are other flats as well such as #32 spotted at the Jersey City maintenance yard, but these are apparently not converted K-cars.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 5287
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby PONYA » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:08 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I was referred to these K-car flats: 1247 and 1224. Previously they were work box motors as recently as the late 1990s. There are other flats as well such as #32 spotted at the Jersey City maintenance yard, but these are apparently not converted K-cars.


Yes those 1247 and 1224 are gone, sold as scrap to Kawaski. Hence why I said the one lonely K car 1243 is all that remains. Definately an end of an era.
PONYA
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: NJ

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 pm

K-car 1243 will eventually be sent to Frontier for scrap. It currently is on the backlot at Harrison Shop.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 5287
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Speaking of Path and the FRA, I have noticed that Paths connection to Amtrak has been cut in Hudson Yard. Was this Path's only connection to the outside world? If so, does that mean they will try to reclassify the trains and crew statuses?
BuddSilverliner269
 
Posts: 3662
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Trenton Line MP 30.70

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby OportRailfan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:24 pm

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Speaking of Path and the FRA, I have noticed that Paths connection to Amtrak has been cut in Hudson Yard. Was this Path's only connection to the outside world? If so, does that mean they will try to reclassify the trains and crew statuses?


That's interesting Budd. I'll have to look at the diamond connection thats out by the employee stop/the grade crossing they have out there.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 pm

OportRailfan wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Speaking of Path and the FRA, I have noticed that Paths connection to Amtrak has been cut in Hudson Yard. Was this Path's only connection to the outside world? If so, does that mean they will try to reclassify the trains and crew statuses?


That's interesting Budd. I'll have to look at the diamond connection thats out by the employee stop/the grade crossing they have out there.

Yeah, its the diamond that was taken out I believe , or a piece of track near the diamond. Its been like this for almost 2 months but I have been slow to report it. The track on Hudson Yard leading to diamond has ties at the end to prevent running through the track
BuddSilverliner269
 
Posts: 3662
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Trenton Line MP 30.70

Re: PATH and the FRA

Postby erie910 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 am

For railroads under FRA regulations, certain brake tests are required, such as what was once called the Initial Terminal Test. The test involved an application from the controlling unit and an observation of each brake cylinder in the train that it both applied and released. For PATH trains which are stored at one of the terminals, how is this brake test done when one side of the train is obscured by a high-level platform and the other side can be observed from an adjacent, active track, if the opposite side is not against a wall or also obscured by a high-level platform? Or is there an exception for these types of rapid transit operations?
erie910
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Location: Port Hope, MI

Re:

Postby BuddR32 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:55 am

metman499 wrote:Nope, SIRT was the B&O and the SIR is the passenger operator.

Right exactly. When the MTA took over SIRT, they created the SIRTOA Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority

On a side note, I don't believe that it is still regulated by the FRA, and hasn't been since 1980
BuddR32
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Previous

Return to NYC MTA Subway and Rail, PATH and SIRT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest