Stamford Track 7 - Atlantic St Bridge Replacement

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Stamford Track 7 - Atlantic St Bridge Replacement

Postby excitebike » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:52 pm

This is the feasibility study for replacing the Atlantic St bridge in Stamford:
http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... 04-01c.pdf
It has some neat construction staging track diagrams.

Interestingly, the plan has a provision for extending track 7 from the east to Stamford station. I presume this would be for something similar to the situation at South Norwalk, with a stub track 7 for New Canaan shuttles? Otherwise, for a full through track 7 with platform, you'd have to basically demolish Stamford station!

(Other Stamford bridge replacement studies are to be found here: http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2303&q=480614 )
excitebike

Re: Stamford track 7

Postby RearOfSignal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:15 am

Extending track 7 would be useless without reconstructing CP233 and CP 232 since neither are universal interlockings. Currently a train would have to run against the normal current of traffic to access track 7 without a reverse move.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!
RearOfSignal

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong; I took a look at a track map; Atlantic Street is on the East side of Stamford Station, so CP 232 and 233 woudn't come into play since they're on the west side of the Station. While there is a track 7 on the west side that stubs up against the outer Track 5 platform, I think they're talking about the track 7 on the east side that leads to the employee stop (and maybe where inbound locals are staged).

Still, I'm really not sure what the benefit is, the track merges back into track 5, and has another crossover to track 3. Track 7 would invariably merge into track 5 anyway.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby The EGE » Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I assume the intent is to get the New Canaan shuttle off track 5 when it's just sitting in the platform. Gives you 10 to 15 minutes more once an hour midday that track 5 is free for through trains.
The EGE

Postby Clean Cab » Fri May 04, 2012 9:42 am

You'd have to move part of Stamford Station to make track 7 a through track, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about this ever happening.

I'd much rather see the track 4 platform extended west and make it a 12 car legnth like track 3 &2 currently are. I'll never undrestand why the track 4 platform was cut off at only 9 car legnths. Poor planning I guess.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!
Clean Cab

Postby Ridgefielder » Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Perhaps they just figured that if they're going to rebuild the bridge anyway, they may as well build it with the room for an extra track even there's no plan to install it right now-- that way if at some point in the future they want to build a pocket track for the dink, or extend it all the way through the station, they won't have to start from scratch. Similar to the newer structures at Milford that have room for four tracks even though it's only 3 through that area (or the Conn River bridge, for that matter, whose piers were built ca. 1907 with room for never-installed 3rd and 4th tracks).
Ridgefielder

Postby amm in ny » Sat May 05, 2012 2:05 pm

I don't see anyone in this thread proposing making a through track 7 at Stamford.

I did get the impression that some people thought a stub-end track 7 on the east end of the station might make sense, if only as a place for the New Canaan shuttle.

Since IIRC the shuttle is never more than about 1 or 2 cars, it wouldn't need to have a full 10- or 12-car platform. Also IIRC, the east end of the track 5 platform doesn't have direct pedestrian access to State Street (people have to walk west to get off), so putting a track on the north side wouldn't be a huge additional inconvenience. I don't know if there's enough space, though.

I can't speak to whether the current interlocking layout east of the station would make such use feasable.
amm in ny

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat May 05, 2012 2:48 pm

The shuttle has not been less than 4 cars for years now, and just about all at some point run straight to/from GCT.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby trekker209 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Project is advertised for bidding. Track 7 is being extended on the east side only. There will be a platform for track 7 on the new Atlantic Street bridge. Plans are available:

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/scp_search/Bid ... ?CID=42304
trekker209

Postby Ridgefielder » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm struggling to figure out the platform. The Atlantic Street overpass is a good 350 feet east of the easternmost end of the Stamford platforms. Anybody de-training there is going to have a loooong walk to the station building or any sort of connecting service.
Ridgefielder

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail