FL9 F-10 Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak Discussion

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Re: FL9 F-10 Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak Discussion

Postby Ridgefielder » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Graeme Salt wrote:
The 73-class is still running, too. There is probably 10-20 owned by GB Railfreight and most are used to haul the Caledonian Sleeper north of Edinburgh. They are straight diesel now.

Actually all operable 73s (29 in total I think) are still 650/750V 3rd rail capable, it's just that the heavily re-engineered 73/9 sub-class used on CS services to Aberdeen, Fort William and Inverness don't get within 400 miles of the 3rd rail network... these particular 11 units are fitted with an MTU V8 1600 HP engine, but most of the others retain the original English Electric 600 HP unit. For any railfans visiting the UK, I recommend seeking these locomotives out - they are quite quirky (if somewhat box-like.)

If I can legitimise my contribution by dragging the thread back to the subject of FL-9s - having missed these fantastic looking machines in service (I passed 2012 at Croton Harmon the other week and what a sad sight it was) - I really hope this Boston Surface Railroad thing gets of the ground; I realise it's probably a bit of a fantasy but the day they announce their inaugural service I will be booking my flight...

Head for Cape Cod next summer. FL-9s will be in regular service on the tourist trains out of Hyannis. Which, as noted above, was part of their original stomping ground: https://goo.gl/images/oUKZgV
Ridgefielder

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:55 pm

wow so many predictions , they are not running yet , just sayinn.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:02 am

https://www.flickr.com/photos/uptrain/31647386957/

^Nice shot of two units heading out to TX on BNSF.

A pair of former Connecticut Department of Transportation FL9's still wearing their New Haven “McGinnis” paint scheme applied by CDOT move west on BNSF Train H GALKCK1 02A crossing the KCT Argentine Connection Flyover where it will drop down into BNSF Argentine Yard.

The State of Connecticut was once owner of 10 FL9's, and 6 of them sat in storage since 2009 before being auctioned off in 2018. This pair was sold to the Grapevine Vintage Railroad based in Grapevine, TX. GVRX 2014 and 2016 are 1960 EMD products and were originally NH 2041 and 2044, respectively. Once in Texas the pair will be repainted into the GVRR “cabernet and champagne” scheme that their passenger cars are dressed in, and will run in pull-pull formation on their excursion train.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby NaugyRR » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:14 am

It'll be interesting to see the new paint scheme they receive, I liked how the Maine Eastern and Orford units came out.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 am

If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby NaugyRR » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am

That wouldn't be bad if the red/purple was closer to what's on the coach rather than the Geep lol
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby trainspot » Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Found 2027 at Cedar Hill Yard last Thursday:
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5134120
trainspot

Postby ExCon90 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:33 pm

What are those coaches in the right background?
ExCon90

Postby shadyjay » Thu May 16, 2019 3:37 pm

An Amtrak Turboliner set that was rebuilt and either saw limited service (for a year, if that) or one of the rebuilds that was never placed into service. More on Amtrak forum, but tread lightly if posting in that thread.
shadyjay

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri May 17, 2019 8:39 am

Is 2027 the one going to Boston Surface that they haven't either picked up or paid for?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ExCon90 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm

shadyjay wrote:An Amtrak Turboliner set that was rebuilt and either saw limited service (for a year, if that) or one of the rebuilds that was never placed into service. More on Amtrak forum, but tread lightly if posting in that thread.

Thanks, I wouldn't dare go near it--there might be trip wires ...
ExCon90

Postby Backshophoss » Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Those 2 sets are now used for SWAT/First Responder training.
Backshophoss

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Turboliners are able to be discussed, it's just that certain people go careening off into fantasy land when they're brought up.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Tadman » Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm

ExCon90 wrote:
shadyjay wrote:An Amtrak Turboliner set that was rebuilt and either saw limited service (for a year, if that) or one of the rebuilds that was never placed into service. More on Amtrak forum, but tread lightly if posting in that thread.

Thanks, I wouldn't dare go near it--there might be trip wires ...

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Turboliners are able to be discussed, it's just that certain people go careening off into fantasy land when they're brought up.

100% this. We had a couple guys that could bring absolutely any thread around to "why don't we put the turboliners in revenue service again". Seriously, if we had a thread about UP 4014's restoration, one guy would be like "speaking of 4014, it runs on rails and I love turboliners and why don't we bring them back to service"... It was that bad.

But you are welcome and encouraged to discuss anything historic (IE anything turboliner that has already happened - could be 1975, could be yesterday), and any news about where they're going or stored.
Tadman

Previous

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail