Official M2 / M4 / M6 Retirement Thread

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Official M2 / M4 / M6 Retirement Thread

Postby jackintosh11 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:26 pm

I've noticed that with older AC-electrification (not motor) MUs, I'd assume it has something either to do with the transformer design or DC motors.
jackintosh11

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:36 pm

The M-2's were able to run on 25hz power,and carry a IRON core in the main transformer for that purpose.
you could be smelling fumes vented from the the main transformer.
After the changover to 60hz power on MN, the M-2's lost their MG sets to inverters for power to the HVAC,lights,battery charger,and
other aux systems,killing off any chance to run into NYPenn or anywhere on the former PRR/RDG catenary
You could be smelling gear oil fumes from the traction motor gear cases
Backshophoss

Postby doepack » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Visiting from suburban Chicago, the railfan gods blessed me when today's New Haven bound train 1524 showed up at Bridgeport with an eight car set of M2's. Rode in car 8737 to New Haven, then the set reversed into the yard after arrival. I missed them the last time I was in the NYC area (about 7-8 years ago), and certainly didn't expect to ride any this time around so having these show up was very cool, especially with most of the M2's retired and replaced. Definitely the highlight of my visit.

And as always, NYC's myriad subway & commuter trains provide such a nice change of pace from the relentless heavy haul freight traffic in my neck of the woods...
--Dorian--
doepack

Postby Nasadowsk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Backshophoss wrote:The M-2's were able to run on 25hz power,and carry a IRON core in the main transformer for that purpose.

As opposed to what? Actually, modern transformer cores are steel laminates, with the alloys selected for their magnetic properties. There is no other technology at low frequencies.

I'd be surprised if it was vented fumes, I was under the impression those transformers were pretty well sealed. Keeps moisture out, and prevents any venting of explosive gases - the latter issue plagued some older British EMUs back in the early 60's, though rectifier arc backs and a misunderstanding of them contributed.

One you get high enough in frequency, you don't need a core - air core transformers were common in radios years ago, with ferrite slugs to tune the characteristics.
Nasadowsk

Postby GojiMet86 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:38 pm

Why were all the M6 retired as opposed to keeping them in service and retiring all the M2?
GojiMet86

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 pm

From what I have heard elsewhere from people who operated them, the M6s were more prone to problems and generally more miserable to run.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Patrick A. » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:48 pm

M2's were also partially overhauled under the CSR (Critical Systems Rebuild?) program in the late 2000's (forget the exact years), which greatly increased their reliability. M4s and M6s were slated to undergo the same program, but it was scrubbed due to lack of funds along with the M8s imminently arriving onto the property in significant number.
I have lived to ride on the M8.

Complete Constant Tension on the New Haven Line ETC: Mid-2018
Patrick A.

Postby bulk88 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:11 am

Backshophoss wrote:After the changover to 60hz power on MN, the M-2's lost their MG sets to inverters for power to the HVAC,lights,battery charger,and other aux systems,killing off any chance to run into NYPenn or anywhere on the former PRR/RDG catenary You could be smelling gear oil fumes from the traction motor gear cases

Why would the M2 inverters NOT take 25 hz as input assuming they aren't hooked upto the HV DC bus? Dont they have to take in 3rd rail DC power every day.
bulk88

Postby ant6n » Sat May 13, 2017 11:19 am

Visiting New York, I rode on the New Haven line. The 6543 train on Friday was served by M2 cars. I sat on 8705. This was a nice surprise, as I thought they'd all been retired. Apparently 24 cars (36 according to another source) are in the MNRR reserve fleet, so this was a pretty lucky catch.
ant6n

Postby NorthWest » Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 am

One set seems to be running somewhat regularly, as I caught it at 125th St when I was there about a month and a half ago. Couldn't get a shot of it next to an M3, though...
NorthWest

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sat May 13, 2017 12:18 pm

1254...the 5:18p out of Grand Central to Harrison has them.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Again don't get your panties in twist, they will be running for at least 3 more years till next batch of M-8's comes in .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Patrick A. wrote:M2's were also partially overhauled under the CSR (Critical Systems Rebuild?) program in the late 2000s which greatly increased their reliability. M4s and M6s were slated to undergo the same program, but it was scrubbed due to lack of funds along with the M8s imminently arriving onto the property in significant number.

2003-2008. The M-4s were supposed to have their CSR program in 2009, but dropped.

Only cars left now are 8700 series CSR pairs.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby SeanW » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi everyone.

I am in the NY/Connecticut area for a week or so and am interested in the old railcars. Are the remaining M2s scheduled on particular services? What would be my best chance to see/ride them?
SeanW

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am

AFAIK the 5:18p out of Grand Central to Harrison still runs them pretty reliably.

GirlOnTheTrain

Previous

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail