Beacon Line Maintenance / Current Status / Background

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Beacon Line Maintenance / Current Status / Background

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:01 am

I wonder what the demand for service from Poughkeepsie/Beacon to White Plains/Stamford is? At one time, Dutchess County established a route between Poughkeepsie and White Plains, but I don't know if it survived or not.
Rockingham Racer

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Firgured that the Beacon line was to become a "feeder" to Harlem line at B north(Southeast)running a "shuttle" service from
Hopewell Jct,Stormville, "Pawling West", Holmes,and maybe Towners,crossing over at CP Dyke to connecting service at B North(Southeast)
to GCT.
Consider the NY/CT line to Danbury a lost cause as the ROW as reverted to "SWAMP LAND" thru the Mill Plain- CP Fair Grounds area. :(
That could change IF ConnDOT finally Boots HRRC off the tracks and out of the state.
Then DRM could run a limited run "tourist" type service to Hopewell Jct, or at least to the state line. :wink:

I kinda thought the same thing about the DRM. Didn't they run a couple of excursions out that direction back in the day? I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't push onto that section for even more 'rare mileage' when I rode the MBRRE excursion from Canaan to Danbury.

As far as the Beacon portion of the route goes, maybe a rail bike operation would be possible, or are the grades too steep for that? Or maybe a low-overhead RDC operation like the BSRM is running out of North Adams? Do any tourist groups offer speeder or hy-rail excursions?

In the world that exists outside of reality, I think a trolley/interurban excursion would be as cool as it would be impractical. Who the hell's gonna wanna string all that wire AND power/maintain it? Haha
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Firgured that the Beacon line was to become a "feeder" to Harlem line at B north(Southeast)running a "shuttle" service from
Hopewell Jct,Stormville, "Pawling West", Holmes,and maybe Towners,crossing over at CP Dyke to connecting service at B North(Southeast)
to GCT.
Consider the NY/CT line to Danbury a lost cause as the ROW as reverted to "SWAMP LAND" thru the Mill Plain- CP Fair Grounds area. :(
That could change IF ConnDOT finally Boots HRRC off the tracks and out of the state.
Then DRM could run a limited run "tourist" type service to Hopewell Jct, or at least to the state line. :wink:

Any thought I ever had also revolved around a shuttle service, although I'd suggest Poughquag as Hopewell Junction would be very indirect having to make that long loop. Now, you could do shuttle service from HJ to Beacon. That could take some traffic off those back roads.

One other thought occurred to me: what about a commuter lot at the Danbury Fair mall? Heading towards Danbury, NOT towards NY. It seems to me that the downtown Danbury station is a bit constrained, and this might be easier for folks up around Candlewood lake or up route 7 to get to vs. going down Main and White St. Unless CtDOT ever gets off their a$$ and starts service to New Milford.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote:I wonder what the demand for service from Poughkeepsie/Beacon to White Plains/Stamford is? At one time, Dutchess County established a route between Poughkeepsie and White Plains, but I don't know if it survived or not.

That was my only other thought; White Plains (Stamford would be a stretch). Those folks might want to get off 9/Taconic/684/287/etc. No reverse moves required. I"ve often thought that might be a good Amtrak route (White Plains being a destination) although getting to Penn from the Harlem is (near) impossible unless you add back the SD wye. Which won't happen at an area that's already a bottleneck.

Final thought: they'd be better off spending their money on the TZB rail, although you wouldn't have an eastbound connection from the Hudson; you'd only have a southbound connection from the TZB.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:34 pm

First the state does not own the Maybrook in CT, imminent domain is out, cause state refused to buy it from Conrail.
Housatonic RR did , and unless their willing to sell , its a no go.
DRM is poor fantasy, they have no equipment fit to leave the gate, non of their equipment can be made FRA compliant unless a few members hit lottery and decide to donate it all.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm

The track set up at CP 58 (Beacon) works against a Beacon/Hopewell Jct shuttle,Hopewell Jct to Brewster North was the better setup.
You have a Running repair shop at Put Jct,with fuel. Switch at CP 58 faces north,reverse move back to Harmon,maybe a fuel truck at Poughkeepsie.
HRRC has let Mill Plain-Fairgrounds revert to swamp land,and let everything Shelton to Derby Jct to rot as well to spite P&W
Backshophoss

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Look the Housy turned entire Beacon line story into a bunch of claptrap, no one at MN is looking at Danbury to Brewster :-) :-) what a Maroon ;-);-)
http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/ ... 978155.php

DutchRailnut

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Wondered where that rotten smell was,that newstimes piece reeks! :P
Backshophoss

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:21 am

I'd have to look at the old track maps to see the setup at Beacon. It would only work if there were a stub that passengers could cross-platform transfer to the inbound without fouling the main. It's a flyover there, right? As for reversing, you'd be using push-pull mini anyway. If you figure you're only running it once per morning and evening, you could use it in revenue service as a shuttle down to CH.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Can someone please talk some sense into Toni Boucher? GOOD GRIEF.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:58 pm

^Relevant quote:

State Sen. Toni Boucher, ranking Republican on the legislature’s transportation committee, said passenger service along the Maybrook line should be part of the the state’s long term plan.

She may be a bit misguided on things like electrification but she's an advocate, and she's been right about the lack of "love" #Schumenthalloy have shown western CT.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Rockingham Racer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:10 pm

My recollecion at CP 58 is that there's a universal crossover, and the beginning of a controlled siding going north to CP 61. At one point in time, northbound trains stopped at a platform on the controlled siding because of trackwork on Main 2. Don't know if the platform is still there; also don't know how often this siding is used, but I would say not very much. The Beacon Line takes off from the Hudson Track 1 south of the station, goes up and over the Hudson Line and heads east.
Rockingham Racer

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:30 pm

no the platform is gone, and with a best track speed of 25 between Hopewell Jct and Beacon, a toddler on a tricycle would make better speed.
plus a train crossing over would tie mainline tracks for 6 minutes or better.

DutchRailnut

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:She may be a bit misguided on things like electrification but she's an advocate, and she's been right about the lack of "love" #Schumenthalloy have shown western CT.

She's been tweetshamed by the Commuter Council chair (not Jimbo, but the other Jim) for whining about Danbury service when Waterbury is still the redheaded stepchild. It would be nice if as a member of the transportation committee if she took it upon herself to become educated about things instead of just demanding electrification to Danbury and thinking Maybrook passenger service is a worthwhile use of state resources at any time in the semi-near future...

But anyhoo...back to Housy taking this move by Metro North as an excuse to tout their pipedreams of passenger choo choos....
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby RussNelson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:17 pm

You guys are being just amazingly impractical, with talk of electrification or reverse moves or flyovers or railbikes. What, are commuters going to ride railbikes down the Beacon Line to catch the train at the station?? No, the solution is simple: Put Dutchess Junction back into service. Then, a commuter train that's coming from the city and going to go up the Beacon Line comes off Metro North at Dutchess Junction, and heads up the Beacon Line. Then, you back down the Beacon Line, go over the Metro North line, back onto the siding here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/159543669 and pull forward, going into the city on the correct track. No fouling the main, ever.

It's easy to put Dutchess Junction back into play. There's nothing encroaching on the NYNH&H railbed. You just need two switches and two bridges. One is over Grandview Ave (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/160294902) and the other is over Fishkill Creek(https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/160294901), and a new crossover track from the Beacon Station siding to the Metro North line going south.

Simple! Your problem is that you lack imagination! And a customer base!
RussNelson

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail