Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:58 pm

I guess that will be a more common sight pretty soon.
lordsigma12345

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Assuming that the joint Hartford Line-Amtrak commuter ticketing goes forward and commuters get access to all the trains on the proposed schedule, the biggest remaining problem I see is that none of the Amtrak trains are stopping at New Haven State Street which is the more useful stop for New Haven commuters. Given that The state is using this dual service provider model to avoid running more CTrail trains it would seem to have made sense to try to get Amtrak to stop there with at least the Shuttles which are almost interchanageble with the new CDOT trains. Is there a convenient bus service between Union Station and downtown for commuters on the Amtrak operated trains since under this model the train provider would be dependent on the time you commute?
lordsigma12345

Postby ebtmikado » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm

The only Amtrak train arriving New Haven during rush hour is 495, which stops there. The same thing in the evening rush.
ebtmikado

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:12 pm

I didn't realize that but now that you mention it I see it now on the schedule, Amtrak 495, and 476 stop there. I never remember seeing that and I personally haven't been on 495 but there it is. However for commuters whose work day starts at 8 AM or earlier, the next earlier train than 495 which is CTrail train 4401 arrives to state street at 7:55. That's pushing it even for an 8 am start time. Amtrak 141 and the proposed new 451 Shuttle would also be useful for earlier commuters, but neither of those are slated to stop at State Street. 141 being a through train and having the locomotive swap I can see why they wouldn't want to stop, but nevertheless it still arrives at a safer time for people with an 8 am start. Is there a bus option from Union Station?
lordsigma12345

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:27 pm

During the week there's a bus shuttle between Union Station and downtown...and it's free.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Good to know, I guess that's probably sufficient for earlier commuters who choose to come in by train.
lordsigma12345

Postby ebtmikado » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm

And Yale University operates shuttles to the hospital and med school, as well as other campuses for its employees and students Yale is, by far, the largest employer in New Haven.
ebtmikado

Postby Kilo Echo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 am

For those who may have missed it, Sandy Johnston's incisive and thorough article addresses some of the potential pitfalls of the new Hartford Line: Plan Flaws Mar New Train Line’s Promise.
Mind the gap
Kilo Echo

Postby daybeers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:48 am

That was an interesting read, however some points are missing. Even though only one Amtrak train in each direction each day stops at New Haven State Street, there is a free shuttle from Union, as mentioned above. Also, the points about electrification are honestly a little ridiculous in my opinion. The line will most likely never be electrified, as it's far too short to be worth the high cost.
daybeers

Postby daybeers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

A new program update was posted to the NHHSRail Program's website earlier today:

Hartford Line Train Testing

The Connecticut Department of Transportation is gearing up for May launch of the CTrail Hartford Line passenger rail service! Qualification runs began last weekend and will occur this weekend along the corridor.

(Then there was a picture of a train being tested)
daybeers

Postby lordsigma12345 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Nice, glad I caught it coming into Springfield the other day and then at the platform. Here's my picture again if anyone didn't see it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7so8r18nhgo0p5p/picture.jpg
lordsigma12345

Postby lordsigma12345 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm wondering what the logistical setup is going to be at Springfield. Amtrak's service window and the waiting area for trains is still located in the old Amtrak station next to track 8, but supposedly the new Hartford Line ticket machine is going in the new intermodal center in the historic station near where Amtrak's eventual window will be when they finally do move. Perhaps Amtrak will move just before the Hartford Line starts because I did hear the Hartford Line contractor was going to be using the current Amtrak waiting room as a crew layover area. There's also talk that the Amtrak Police which are located in a trailer are moving into the present ticket office. It will likely get even more messy when Amtrak and the state finally start tearing apart that platform. May hear more later this month as supposedly the bid specs for the new platform are due in March.
lordsigma12345

Postby bdawe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:03 am

daybeers wrote:That was an interesting read, however some points are missing. Even though only one Amtrak train in each direction each day stops at New Haven State Street, there is a free shuttle from Union, as mentioned above. Also, the points about electrification are honestly a little ridiculous in my opinion. The line will most likely never be electrified, as it's far too short to be worth the high cost.

Huh?
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby daybeers » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:35 am

What?
daybeers

Postby Rockingham Racer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:51 pm

daybeers wrote:...Also, the points about electrification are honestly a little ridiculous in my opinion. The line will most likely never be electrified, as it's far too short to be worth the high cost.

Let me attempt to translate your last sentence concerning non-electrification. The line is ALREADY electrified, since it's on the NEC to Boston. Does that clear it up for you?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited quoting
Rockingham Racer

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail