Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Springfield Line Upgrade in CT

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 am

CVRA7 wrote:I looked at the link to proposed Hartford Line fares but couldn't see any reference to any "Uniticket" offering.

It's the very last table. Clearly headed "UniRail Fares". I've attached a screenshot of it.
Attachments
NH_unirailfares.JPG
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby CVRA7 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 am

[quote="deathtopumpkins"][quote="CVRA7"]I looked at the link to proposed Hartford Line fares but couldn't see any reference to any "Uniticket" offering.[/quote]

It's the very last table. Clearly headed "UniRail Fares". I've attached a screenshot of it.[/quote]

Thanks. I was actually looking for something a little bet more usable to someone - for example - wanting to find the price from Hartford to South Norwalk. I don't see much "Uni" if you have to visit two web sites to get the answer.
Looks like the one ways Uni fares are just the regular fares on the HFD Line, no O W discount to other points beyond New Haven.
CVRA7

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby sullysullinburg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 am

Any word yet on equipment and what a “normal train” would look like?
Please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClziKJ ... 2M7jJlSZsw
sullysullinburg

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:33 am

Yup, like I said on the last page, it's just the regular fare, there's no discount.

Keep in mind that this PDF is just the initial announcement of proposed fares. The actual future website will probably look like the SLE website, where you can select two stations (including select Metro-North stations) and it tells you the fare.

If you're upset about the lack of a discount, well, contact ConnDOT and tell them. That's the point of releasing proposed fares and holding a comment period on them. From the NHHS website:
Comments may be submitted via email to dot.hartfordlinecomments@ct.gov and via US Mail to Hartford Line Comments, Bureau of Public Transportation, 2800 Berlin Turnpike, P.O. Box 317546, Newington, CT 06131-7546.

There will also be public hearings in New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield in mid-November: http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1386&Q=592852
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:26 pm

I can imagine the Mafersa cars currently used on SLE. Down the road, ConnDot wants to buy brand new equipment for the Ctrails service, which is a great idea, as the Mafersa cars and motive power used on SLE trains is aging.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:15 pm

sullysullinburg wrote:Any word yet on equipment and what a “normal train” would look like?

Probably not much different than the average SLE consist. How many cars depends on what percentage of the fleet needs to be split amongst SLE and NHHS, which is entirely dependent on when M8's get the greenlight on SLE. The diesel fleet will be split between lines for awhile until the supplemental M8 order comes in, as it's unlikely there'll be enough EMU's to pry away now for covering more than the Old Saybrook runs...with New London remaining diesel for time being and OSB occasionally being supplemented at peak with diesel sets. That said, there's more Mafersas than SLE truly needs so they're not looking at any sort of shortage for the limited Year 1 schedule on the Hartford Line. It's more a matter of whether the locos under rebuild get back from the program in-time.

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I can imagine the Mafersa cars currently used on SLE. Down the road, ConnDot wants to buy brand new equipment for the Ctrails service, which is a great idea, as the Mafersa cars and motive power used on SLE trains is aging.

MNRR's East-of-Hudson bi-level procurement may serve up this opportunity, as the MTA is going to be replacing all Shoreliner I/II/III/IV's and Comet II's on the Hudson and Harlem Lines with MLV-clone bi's in one fell swoop with the LIRR C3-replacement order. CDOT will have its normal seat at the table to participate in that order, but since Danbury/Waterbury/NHHS all have little to gain from going taller and packing the seating denser the state may find better economy of scale pulling a lateral ownership swap for all of the MTA's Shoreliner IV's and a large number of the Shoreliner III's to put through a light midlife overhaul. While junking all of the CT-owned Shoreliner I/II's and the rebuild-age Mafersas. That would give CDOT a full common coach fleet all equipped with center-door boarding and ability to run thru to GCT (which the Mafersas cannot because the carbody undercarriage doesn't have adequate third rail clearance). Since there's way too many III's/IV's (117 active cars) for CDOT's needs some judicious scrappings of rougher-condition surplus III's to supply the rebuild program can help lower the costs a bit more. They'll still likely have dozens more than they know what to do with, enough to bank for lots of frequency expansion on Hartford + Danbury/Waterbury and maybe even for taking MassDOT's money to run the Conn River Line commuter rail as a seamless Hartford Line HFD-SPG-Greenfield routing flavor.

As long as they get the III/IV fleet up to uniform state-of-repair and get rid of all their rapidly-decaying I's/II's and the unlike Mafersas it's good economy-of-scale and the relatively light wear these CT routes would put on the rebuilt cars ought to make them last pretty long on only a moderate refresh.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am

Correct me if I'm wrong since it's been about 4 years since I've used SLE - but I don't recall there being any discount if I bought a UniRail ticket to Branford...it was just the MN fare and SLE fare from New Haven lumped together.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:26 pm

my feeling is CDOT will buy multi levels for MN pool and downgrade the current bombardiers for additional SLE and springfield service . but will they have their 18 diesels rebuilt to power this service.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:03 pm

True. The non-center door Shoreliners will be the first to retire and they are up there in age. I believe that they are a little over 30 years old. The center door Shoreliners aren't new, but at the same time, many of them are not that old, especially the ConnDot painted center door cars. I am sure that center door Shoreliners would work well on the Hartford Line, especially since multiple stations will be high level platforms.

I believe that I saw somewhere that MNR is looking into buying double deckers which might not be a bad idea.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:48 am

the end door Bombardiers had a frame down total overhaul less than 8 years ago and are good for another 15 years at least.

DutchRailnut

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:28 am

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong since it's been about 4 years since I've used SLE - but I don't recall there being any discount if I bought a UniRail ticket to Branford...it was just the MN fare and SLE fare from New Haven lumped together.

The SLE website says there's a discount, but only for monthly passes.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 pm

CVRA7 wrote:There was a time when you could go to a station - at least the larger stations - and purchase a ticket for a journey over a number of different railroads - this was called an interline ticket, and this was done way back before computer access. One would think that in the age of computers, interline ticketing would be an easy thing to administer. Amtrak does interline ticketing to a slight degree, much of it with selected bus connections. One rare rail exception was over N J Transit from Philadelphia over the ex PSRL to Atlantic City. Also into Toronto on Via Rail Canada. There seems to be no will to do it in Connecticut between the various rail carriers, except Amtrak could sell Shore Line East - possibly because Amtrak operated that service, although Amtrak agents could not issue tickets on most other Amtrak-operated commuter carriers, such as when they operated MBTA Commuter Rail in the Boston area. During my decades in ticketing I heard a lot of complaints from Amtrak passengers not being able to purchase tickets for connecting Metro-North service from New Haven. I don't know how ticketing will be handled for this new CT Rail Hartford line service outside of seeing announcements for ticket vending machines being located at each station plus cash fares on the train.
I looked at the link to proposed Hartford Line fares but couldn't see any reference to any "Uniticket" offering.

Amtrak California provides free or sells discounted tickets to local transit services.

https://www.capitolcorridor.org/transit-transfers/
jamesinclair

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:18 pm

CDOT presents 5 alternatives for Hartford Union Station relocation during the I-84 reconstruction project: http://www.courant.com/real-estate/prop ... story.html

F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:True. The non-center door Shoreliners will be the first to retire and they are up there in age. I believe that they are a little over 30 years old.
1985-1991.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:40 pm

and had a total frame up rebuilt by bombardier about 8 years ago , so pint being, their good for another 15 years at least .

DutchRailnut

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail