Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:32 pm

So..... someone know something we don't?: Concord Monitor

Rail already in N.H.
Right now, the Seacoast, Cheshire County and the Upper Valley are all serviced by rail. In a year, high speed rail will be coming up through Brattleboro and White River Junction, Vt., getting people in Western New Hampshire to New York City in three hours.

Assuming they're speaking of an extension of "The Hartford Line"? or Shuttle service? Or are they referring to something else?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby BandA » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:42 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
NaugyRR wrote:Back to the possible prospects, who does everyone here think should get the bid, based on each one's history?
--snip--
Keolis' staggering start on the MBTA contract and constant fines for poor OTP leaves them kind of an underwhelming choice, though they're certainly competent enough. Also...with Amtrak fighting with the T bigtime and Keolis being on the T's side that could rankle relations on the AMTK- owned and dispatched line.

Veolia and Bombardier were tag-team partners in the not-at-all-missed MBCR compact that stole money from the T for 10 years. BBD's in all sorts of financial turmoil up in Sweet Home Canada, and is on AMTK's "Dead To Me" ****list. And Veolia's still cloaked in the stench of its abysmal Metrolink safety record...a mess AMTK is having to clean up as it takes over that operating contract. Gotta think these guys are considerably less favored than even Keolis, especially with Amtrak having so little patience for their antics.--snip--
MBCR aka Veolia+Bombardier were real sore losers when they lost the MBTA contract. Keolis got off to a spectacularly bad start. It's not clear to me whether they are a good contractor or a bad one.
BandA

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Believe Keolis is the operator of record for VRE,had a few bumps at start up there,otherwise has been "low profile"
in the minds of CSX and Amtrak.
They got "blindsided" when the transistion from MBCR to them as MBCR left a VERY BIG MESS behind as a "parting gift"
and the HSP-46 "factory glitches" piled up to boot.
Backshophoss

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Rumor has it Bombardier is looking good for the operating contract, and that Amtrak under-performed. This is based on current hiring by Bombardier no longer being "contingent". Of course, Amtrak remains the owner, dispatcher, and still has the shuttles, so no jobs lost. And the shuttles may end up being extended, so that could be worth something on the employment side.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Engineer Spike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Bombardier site is advertising engineer and conductor positions for New Haven.
"Boston and Maine Hudson River Bridge, westward track...no defects...... Boston and Maine Hudson River Bridge, westward track... no defects."
Engineer Spike

Postby DutchRailnut » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:06 pm

yes but they won't award the jobs unless they get contract , they advertised for RFE too
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:10 am

Woke up to find out that the old station building at Berlin is on fire this morning...details on most sites are very vague but it sounds like the building is a total loss. Wonder what, if any impact this will have on the completion of NHHS now.

Firefighters say the fire was on the roof of the building and that most of the fire has been contained to the main building. The building was under construction and many trains had been limited until May 2017. But bus service was running out of the station and trains were passing through.

http://fox61.com/2016/12/21/crews-in-berlin-connecticut-battle-fire-at-amtrak-station/

There's a photo gallery on the linked article...not much there right now but it ain't pretty.

Also cross-posted on the Springfield Line upgrade thread on Amtrak.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:32 am

What a shame.

GoT (your new acronym ;) ), do you or ASull know the current status of the new station?
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:23 am

Last time I was in Berlin was long before I moved...Checkthedoorlight was actually there more recently!
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby shadyjay » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:29 pm

Passed through Berlin on Christmas Eve, and again today...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/ ... 6934890750

Sad. Just sad. Trains are stopping there once again, at a temporary platform just to the south. Definitely looked liek some cosmetic damage along the high level platform abutting the building.

On Saturday, we operated on the new Track 2 through Hartford Yard and held at the end of the double-track for a NB train. Looks like the area is prepped for the 2nd track starting in Windsor, though gates and crossings have yet to be modified that far north. Just south of Berlin, the future 2nd track area was pretty flooded. Looks like some drainage will be needed there. Lots of new signal bridges everywhere. It's been over a year since my last trip on the future Hartford Line, so there was definitely a lot of progress since my last trip.
shadyjay

Postby shadyjay » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:09 pm

This isn't good:

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut ... story.html

Hopefully some $$$ can be found!

Metro-North and Shore Line East riders would absorb a 5 percent fare increase, and off-peak and weekend service on the Waterbury and Danbury lines would end. Shore Line East service would be slashed by half, the DOT said.

The commuter train service between New Haven, Hartford and Springfield that's set to debut next winter would be pushed off by two years to save $8.2 million, the DOT said. But the agency warned that further delays could risk huge expenses because the state might be forced to repay more than $100 million in federal aid for the project.
shadyjay

Postby The EGE » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:42 pm

My photo of Berlin from December 26th:

I'm actually more optimistic that it's savable now than I was a few days ago. Other than a few small collapses like the one at left, the brickwork itself is remarkably intact. The walls are still standing. While the station is a gutted shell, and the woodwork and stained glass are ashes, I think it may yet be able to be repaired.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:24 pm

this type of building only basement walls and brick walls but all floor beams and floor are gone, and since it no longer had railroad use. I see its future in a set of dumpsters.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Arlington » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Any sense on whether the owner was insured?
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it. --H.D. Thoreau, Walden, 1854
Arlington

Postby Steamboat Willie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:44 pm

That's going to be quite a few jobs lost for Amtrak if a private contractor secures the NHHS contract. After talking to a few people who work at Keolis up in Boston, I'm kinda glad Bombardier is rumored to be a front runner.
Steamboat Willie

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail