Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Springfield Line Upgrade in CT

Postby The EGE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Phase II involves double-tracking from Hartford to Springfield, rebuilding Windsor and Windsor Locks stations, and the layover yard in Springfield (on the stub of the former Armory Branch). Phase I gets 17 round trips Hartford-NHV starting in January 2018, but only 12 of those go to SPG at the start. Phase II would allow 20 to 25 end-to-end round trips.

Enfield (Thompsonville) station will hopefully be part of Phase II (and Massachusetts might want to look at a Longmeadow infill as well). But all the new stations being added (save for the second State Street platform being added for commuter rail, which is already funded and under construction) can be discrete additions not dependent on any other part of the project. Those can happen whenever $20 million in state funds or federal grants can be nabbed, similar to the SLE upgrades they've already been doing.

North Haven and Enfield are the highest priorities; West Hartford and Newington are add-ons to busway stations so they're not as much of a new transit gain. Hamden is further behind in planning than those four - it was not part of the 2012 EIS like they were - so it'll take longer to do.

F-Line: great analysis as usual, but can I beg one thing from you? New London is NLC, not NLN.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby shadyjay » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Actually I believe Phase I would terminate the double-track at Windsor station, connecting thusly with the double-track which begins at Windsor and continues north to Hayden just south of Windsor Locks. The Windsor Station itself is not part of Phase I.

Longmeadow I can't see as an infill stop. The main business district is on the other side of I-91, and there isn't much on the railroad side of I-91, except a lot of marshes, a couple houses, and IIRC, a transfer station. And I can't imagine this Hamden station either. I feel the future North Haven station, with its access adjacent to CT 40 makes access from Hamden quite easy. And funny, the signs on I-91 for the Park & Ride lot off CT 40 Exit 1 via I-91 Exit 10 still show a train station logo. Service to the North Haven station ended in the early 1980s. I believe at a time it was referred to as "North Haven/Hamden".
shadyjay

Postby MNCRR9000 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:33 pm

The Hartford Line will run 17 trains a day between New Haven and Hartford, with stops in Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin. Stations are planned for North Haven, Newington and West Hartford.

Twelve of those trains will continue on to Springfield, with stops in Windsor and Windsor Locks. An Enfield station is also planned.

The long-term plan is to fully double-track the line from Hartford to Springfield, and to increase the schedule to 25 trains a day along the entire route. At that point, the system will be carrying 1 million riders a year, Malloy projected.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut ... story.html
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Admin Note: please use a brief, fair-use quote, due to copyright concerns. Brief should be about 4 paragraphs or less.
MNCRR9000

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Connecticut must acquire trains and hire an operating company to run them. Redeker said Tuesday that the Department of Transportation would name its operating contractor in November.

So we'll know soon enough who the operator will be. Any bets?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ebtmikado » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:17 pm

I wish Amtrak will get it.
ebtmikado

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:22 pm

CDOT of America...final answer.

Not that I think said person who coined that phrase would lower himself to run commuter service again ;)
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Does anyone know if Keolis put a bid in? Not that I'm biased towards any one operator, just curious
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:37 pm

several bidders Keolis, Veolia, Bombardier, Amtrak, maybe even HRRC (they were at meeting)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Lets hope the HRRC bid was REJECTED .
Backshophoss

Postby NaugyRR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:55 am

I almost wonder if they (HRRC) have something else up their sleeve. I doubt they put a bid in, but if they sat in the meeting, they may have something else in mind. I just find it hard to believe that a railroad with no passenger experience would try to make the jump to operating a major commuter route, even more so with them being on the State's 'naughty' list. Unless they have something to prove in regards to the passenger B.S. from a couple years ago, which has been pretty quiet lately aside from that article Dutch linked in the Beacon Line thread.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Come on now, when has lack of passenger experience stopped them from passing out the "we can run passenger choo choo" kool-aid by the gallon in the northwest corner? ;)

Current Waterbury branch service would look pretty fabulous next to Housy-run passenger service...even if it was on the shiny redone SPG line!
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby NaugyRR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Haha, fair enough point naugatroll. Of course I think the only ones who are actually drinking it are the lovely group of people who only live here part time. Most of the locals only pay attention to the train if they get stuck at the crossing at the light in Canaan in the evening. I think I was the only student at Housy at the time who would actually watch the train when it rolled by, haha.

Back to the possible prospects, who does everyone here think should get the bid, based on each one's history?
NaugyRR

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:20 pm

NaugyRR wrote:Back to the possible prospects, who does everyone here think should get the bid, based on each one's history?

Amtrak. It's their line, they want full control over their line, and they don't like it when Malloy & Co. shooting their mouths off blaming Amtrak for complications with CDOT projects on their Amtrak line. They strengthen their leverage and control over their own house and keep CDOT from nipping at their heels like a hyperactive poodle if they have full ops control. They've been running SLE without a hiccup for 25 years. It's the same equipment. I've got to think they're heavily-favored. Both on $$$ and for two roommates who don't really much choice but to strive for an optimal coexistence.

Keolis' staggering start on the MBTA contract and constant fines for poor OTP leaves them kind of an underwhelming choice, though they're certainly competent enough. Also...with Amtrak fighting with the T bigtime and Keolis being on the T's side that could rankle relations on the AMTK- owned and dispatched line.

Veolia and Bombardier were tag-team partners in the not-at-all-missed MBCR compact that stole money from the T for 10 years. BBD's in all sorts of financial turmoil up in Sweet Home Canada, and is on AMTK's "Dead To Me" ****list. And Veolia's still cloaked in the stench of its abysmal Metrolink safety record...a mess AMTK is having to clean up as it takes over that operating contract. Gotta think these guys are considerably less favored than even Keolis, especially with Amtrak having so little patience for their antics.

HRRC is just grifting. Or maybe the execs have already looted the money from the MassDOT sale and the company's so hard-up for cash it's just flailing at anything that moves. Or after years of silent treatment from CDOT they simply want 'a' returned phone call for a "Mommy, help" conversation about the walls closing in on their safety record. Or they're finally willing to sell the last of their private trackage. Any which way they're the proverbial whoopee cushion slipped on the chair in that board meeting.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:47 pm

I believe it was Bombardier that had railroad related job openings based out of New Haven posted a while ago...obviously cultivating an applicant pool for if they got the contract.

IMO Amtrak should do it, as we know the state of Connecticut sometimes has some boneheaded ideas from time to time, so to be honest...Keolis, etc. getting it wouldn't surprise me.

GirlOnTheTrain

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:38 am

First wayside horn is in service in Meriden per the email I just got...not up on their website yet so I have attached the email as a PDF.

On October 24, 2016, the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) today announced that Connecticut would become the
first state in New England to install automated horn systems, commonly known as wayside horns, at various rail atgrade
crossings.
Installed as part of CTDOT’s noise mitigation efforts along the CTrail Hartford Line, the first horn became operational today (October
24, 2016) at the Cooper Street crossing in Meriden.

Cross-posted in the applicable thread on the Amtrak board.
Attachments
Wayside Horns - CDOT.pdf
Wayside horns
(121.2 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

GirlOnTheTrain

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail