Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby TomNelligan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Sadly, what's left of the burned-out Berlin station will be demolished. I had a chance to look at the ruins last weekend while I was visiting family in the area and this seemed inevitable... nothing but four walls left, and the remaining brick probably heat damaged anyway.

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-train-station-1230-20161229-story.html

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-station-ruins-1224-20161223-story.html (an earlier report)
TomNelligan

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Believe this is the second time the brick structure was exposed to fire,this was "HOT" enough to damage the brick
to a point that's unstable at best.
Hopefully there're plans for the building somewhere to recreate the station building using "newer" bricks and reusing
what items were salvaged from the "remains".
Backshophoss

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:56 pm

TomNelligan wrote:Sadly, what's left of the burned-out Berlin station will be demolished. I had a chance to look at the ruins last weekend while I was visiting family in the area and this seemed inevitable... nothing but four walls left, and the remaining brick probably heat damaged anyway.

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-train-station-1230-20161229-story.html

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-station-ruins-1224-20161223-story.html (an earlier report)

This is a sad development but I am not surprised. I suspect the remaining brick work has been so weakened that it might not even hold itself up much less the framework of a building. I suspect they will find that the fire was set by one or more vandals who had little or nothing else to do. It is a shame that somebody did not come along earlier with funds, help and ambition to save this historic building and it was historic, there is no doubt about that. Lots of memories and I took a few photos too.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 am

Other station (future, in this case) news: CT Post Chronicle

Talks continue on site for North Haven train station

Negotiations are continuing to turn an old factory building into a new train station.

First Selectman Michael Freda is in discussions with the state Department of Transportation and Cambrex Corp., a pharmaceutical company out of East Rutherford, New Jersey, that owns the property at the corner of State and Devine streets that once was Humphrey Chemical.

“One of our goals here over the past several years is to work with the Department of Transportation to deliver a train station for North Haven,” Freda said. “The designated spot is at the corner of State Street and Devine Street at the railroad tracks and commuter parking lots.”
The project serves several purposes, Freda said: It will not only provide easy access to Metro-North trains for residents living in North Haven, Hamden and surrounding areas, but the station itself will be an impetus for economic growth in that area. But it will take a lot of work to see it come to fruition, he said.

“The Department of Transportation is committed to designing this train station out to its fullest,” Freda said. “The big ‘if’ now is if and when the federal government or the Railroad Commission will fund the construction costs of that.”
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby shadyjay » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:Other station (future, in this case) news: CT Post Chronicle

Talks continue on site for North Haven train station...

What's interesting is that, on I-91 for Exit 10 (Route 40, which takes you right past the old North Haven station site), there is a sign indicating a railroad station is off the exit. Amtrak service to North Haven was discontinued in the early 1980s, though that sign is much much newer than that. Back then, it was just a simple wooden platform on either side of the double-track line. Too bad those days are gone and have increased new station costs substantially.
shadyjay

Postby The EGE » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:42 pm

North Haven was still in use by a couple trains as of my 1963 ETT, but gone by A-day. That wooden station opened on October 26, 1980, part of the same effort that bought the 12 SPV-2000s. North Haven and Enfield were abandoned on October 26, 1986 due to low ridership; at that point Enfield had 8 daily trains and 5 daily riders. One would expect that with better commuter-oriented service, increasing congestion on I-91, and new development nearby, both stations will be much better in 2022 than in 1986.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Meriden "Transit Center" underway: WTNH

Although I don't get what "priority stop" means. Huh? Is the Hartford line going to run expresses? I haven't seen that anywhere. As I understand it, Meriden eventually won't even be an Amtrak stop (after service ramps up), leaving any inland, and shuttle, trains, to stop only at Berlin (per the Amtrak Springfield Line thread.

...Last year, the new Meriden green opened. It is criss-crossed with streams. Years ago, engineers diverted those streams into pipes to build on this land, but every spring, they would overwhelm the pipes and flood this area. The green is now essentially a big basin, and the flooding will be water under the bridge. That big bridge over the center of the green takes people right to the new transit center. If everything goes according to plan, it should open in July, with the new rail line starting next January.

“This is a major priority for the state. Our delegation has doubled down on a commitment to make sure, at this critical juncture, we get what the citizens of Connecticut need and deserve to have right now,” said Esty.

The hope is that new project combined with the beautiful new town green that opened up last year will get a lot of people to take a look at downtown Meriden as a place to live and work.

This transit center will be a priority stop on the New Haven to Hartford to Springfield commuter train line they’re building right now.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby NH2060 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:55 am

Perhaps the "priority stop" bit was a reference to the fact that Meriden along with Wallingford and Berlin will have new stations first before any others come online (North Haven, West Hartford, Enfield, etc.). But I too thought it was understood by all of us here that Berlin would be the "Amtrak stop".

And exactly what proof is there that the Trump administration wants to gut the funding for this? Explanation please, Blumy?

*sigh* Oh Democrats.... :-P
NH2060

Postby SemperFidelis » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:16 pm

[quote="NH2060 wrote:

*sigh* Oh Democrats.... :-P

Hey! Careful now. :P
SemperFidelis

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:58 am

I think by "priority" they mean that the starter schedule is going to be skewed heavier to HFD-NHV than SPG-NHV, and thus those 3 intermediates slot well ahead of Windsor + Windsor Locks on the ADA & upgrades bucket list. Still a lot of work to do up north before the schedule can run the full 60 miles majority of the time...including compelling deadbeat MassDOT to fund their fair share of Armory Layover in Springfield.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 am

Hartford Line operator has been selected. Identity of the party will be announced once contract is signed.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/sta ... lroad.html

The state Department of Transportation has chosen an operator for the Hartford Line scheduled to run 17 trains daily from New Haven to Hartford, and 12 to Springfield, but won’t release a name until details are finalized, DOT officials said Wednesday.

“We have selected a service provider but will not announce who it is until we have negotiated an agreement or a contract with them,” said DOT spokesman Judd B. Everhart. “This is because, if we can’t successfully negotiate a contract with them, we will go to the next interested service provider.”

The timing of any formal announcement will be dictated by the success of the negotiations, Everhart said, but he expects it to be this spring.

Everhart told the Record-Journal the name of the operator and a list of candidates is not public information and exempt from the state Freedom of Information Act until the hiring process is complete, or the commissioner deems revealing the information is in the public interest.

. . .

Amtrak is considered the first pick to service the Hartford Line, but Metro-North and other outside providers could also be considered. The request for qualifications generated multiple candidates, Everhart said.

Postby Backshophoss » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Hopefully it's not BBD.
Backshophoss

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:33 pm

as for MN ?? could yes, but they would have to rewrite the MTA/ metro North charter which pretty much limits MN to 75 miles (close) of New York.
Mr J Giulietti earlier expressed no interest as Metro north had enough problems without adding another headache.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:23 am

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut ... story.html

YMMV on the officially-expressed optimism depending on whether you're a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty person re: state politics, but they've put themselves out on a limb and pegged 1/18/2018 as the probable service start date. . .

Despite the state's budget crisis, the new commuter trains between New Haven and Hartford are still on course to begin rolling next January, the state transportation department said.

That could change if legislators rewrite Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's proposed budget, but for now there's money dedicated to acquiring trains and hiring engineers and conductors, according to the DOT.

"We're looking to start Jan. 18. A lot of progress has been made — we hope to announce a service provider sometime in April," state Rail Administrator Carl Jackson told a commuter watchdog group last week.

Connecticut is negotiating to lease four locomotives and about a dozen passenger cars from another state, and expects to publicly announce in April who will be running the trains, DOT senior staff managers said.

Leased--rather than second-hand purchased--rolling stock makes perfect sense if the P40 and/or Geep rebuilds are going out in '18 or '19 and if M8's on SLE Old Saybrook schedules are still contingent on finishing the Clinton and Madison Tk. 2 platforms first. 1/18 is way too soon for those two station projects, so this lease move is prudent and shouldn't cast any doubt on the timetable for the full SLE-to-HFD fleet transition plan. Your guess as good as mine whose rolling ruins are going to be making a cameo. Leaser locos are plentiful but non- garbage-condition East Coast coaches aren't real easy to come by at present.

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:16 am

add to that that those leasers must be equipped with PTC/ATC/CAB and must be high/low platform capable , kind of thins the herd.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail