Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby TomNelligan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Sadly, what's left of the burned-out Berlin station will be demolished. I had a chance to look at the ruins last weekend while I was visiting family in the area and this seemed inevitable... nothing but four walls left, and the remaining brick probably heat damaged anyway.

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-train-station-1230-20161229-story.html

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-station-ruins-1224-20161223-story.html (an earlier report)
TomNelligan

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Believe this is the second time the brick structure was exposed to fire,this was "HOT" enough to damage the brick
to a point that's unstable at best.
Hopefully there're plans for the building somewhere to recreate the station building using "newer" bricks and reusing
what items were salvaged from the "remains".
Backshophoss

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:56 pm

TomNelligan wrote:Sadly, what's left of the burned-out Berlin station will be demolished. I had a chance to look at the ruins last weekend while I was visiting family in the area and this seemed inevitable... nothing but four walls left, and the remaining brick probably heat damaged anyway.

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-train-station-1230-20161229-story.html

http://www.courant.com/community/berlin/hc-berlin-station-ruins-1224-20161223-story.html (an earlier report)

This is a sad development but I am not surprised. I suspect the remaining brick work has been so weakened that it might not even hold itself up much less the framework of a building. I suspect they will find that the fire was set by one or more vandals who had little or nothing else to do. It is a shame that somebody did not come along earlier with funds, help and ambition to save this historic building and it was historic, there is no doubt about that. Lots of memories and I took a few photos too.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 am

Other station (future, in this case) news: CT Post Chronicle

Talks continue on site for North Haven train station

Negotiations are continuing to turn an old factory building into a new train station.

First Selectman Michael Freda is in discussions with the state Department of Transportation and Cambrex Corp., a pharmaceutical company out of East Rutherford, New Jersey, that owns the property at the corner of State and Devine streets that once was Humphrey Chemical.

“One of our goals here over the past several years is to work with the Department of Transportation to deliver a train station for North Haven,” Freda said. “The designated spot is at the corner of State Street and Devine Street at the railroad tracks and commuter parking lots.”
The project serves several purposes, Freda said: It will not only provide easy access to Metro-North trains for residents living in North Haven, Hamden and surrounding areas, but the station itself will be an impetus for economic growth in that area. But it will take a lot of work to see it come to fruition, he said.

“The Department of Transportation is committed to designing this train station out to its fullest,” Freda said. “The big ‘if’ now is if and when the federal government or the Railroad Commission will fund the construction costs of that.”
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby shadyjay » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:Other station (future, in this case) news: CT Post Chronicle

Talks continue on site for North Haven train station...

What's interesting is that, on I-91 for Exit 10 (Route 40, which takes you right past the old North Haven station site), there is a sign indicating a railroad station is off the exit. Amtrak service to North Haven was discontinued in the early 1980s, though that sign is much much newer than that. Back then, it was just a simple wooden platform on either side of the double-track line. Too bad those days are gone and have increased new station costs substantially.
shadyjay

Postby The EGE » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:42 pm

North Haven was still in use by a couple trains as of my 1963 ETT, but gone by A-day. That wooden station opened on October 26, 1980, part of the same effort that bought the 12 SPV-2000s. North Haven and Enfield were abandoned on October 26, 1986 due to low ridership; at that point Enfield had 8 daily trains and 5 daily riders. One would expect that with better commuter-oriented service, increasing congestion on I-91, and new development nearby, both stations will be much better in 2022 than in 1986.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Previous

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail