DRM Excursion to Kent w/ MN equipment - 11/1/08

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA Metro-North Railroad. (New York Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.mta.info/mnr. Also includes discussion of CDOT Shore Line East, and other CDOT rail operations.

Moderator: Terminal Proceed

DRM Excursion to Kent w/ MN equipment - 11/1/08

Postby shadyjay » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:07 pm

Saw on Danbury Railway Museum's website of an excursion on 11/1/08 from Danbury to Kent with Metro North equipment. What are the chances the motive power will be FL9s? I missed the "Farewell to the FL9s" excursion and have never ridden behind an FL9. If the power is a pair of Fs, I'll be more inclined to take the ride, vs riding behind a Genesis. Anyone heard anything or have any more details to share? And for those who haven't, the link is on their website http://www.danbury.org/drm.
shadyjay

Re: DRM Excursion to Kent w/ MN equipment

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:39 pm

Seems like a good excursion idea. Kent does have a nice train station. Now, if the excursion leaves at 10 a.m., it might be a good idea for the train to wait for anyone coming up to Danbury via MNR, like myself. There's a Danbury shuttle, scheduled to arrive at Danbury at 9:58.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Tom Curtin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:46 pm

I imagine they will expect to get people off that train. This is most likely why they scheduled a 10AM departure.
Tom Curtin

Postby FL9AC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:50 pm

The chances of getting a pair of F's is pretty slim unfortunately. More than likely It will be a maxi bomb with a Genesis on it, but stranger things have happened.
FL9AC

Postby kitn1mcc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:08 pm

i would even be happy with new BL
Ui Company Meter Services
kitn1mcc

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:25 pm

If not cab units, I would say two NH painted GEs.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Jeff Smith » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:48 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip. The DRM page pictures FL-9's - I wish they had some more detail on it. It does only say equipment supplied by MNR.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby shadyjay » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Its quite possible that the FL9s could be relieved of their commuter duties by this time, hence a final-final Farewell to the FL9s excursion. I'm thinkin about dropping a line to the DRM and see what more they can tell me / us.
shadyjay

Postby Clean Cab » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:37 pm

The trip can have what ever engines the DRM requests. I think the odds are good that FL9Ms will be used since by then (November) the BLO20s will be in everyday service thus making the FL9Ms surplus equipment. I'll be there with camera in hand to capture the event.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!
Clean Cab

Postby DutchRailnut » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Is DRM willing to pay extra ??? to deadhead engines and switch engines cost money.
And this excursion will be hard to finance anyway, 500 gallons of fuel at $4.45 a gallon, a 3 man MNCR crew at $1000 or more(required by agreement).
A HHRC crew at $500 (to run train), rental of equipment etc etc.
Hard to make a profit doin something like that.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:00 am

Perhaps DRM is using this trip as a fundraiser and certain parties are donating their services (or greatly reducing their rates). Or maybe this will be one very expensive ticket!! ;-)

-otto-
---------------------------
I do not own this web site, nor do I serve any administrative function. Please contact the Site Administrator for assistance. -omv
Otto Vondrak

Re: DRM Excursion to Kent w/ MN equipment - 11/1/08

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, I don't think $50 is too expensive for an excursion of this type.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:40 pm

The costs of running an extra train over freight only territory is very expensive today. You are just plain lucky that Metro-
North cooperates in operating a trip of this nature. I do not think the price is excessive by today's standards.
I do not think it is reasonable to expect that crews are going to donate their time for something like this, they have mouths
to feed and bills to pay just like all of the rest of us. I think it is time for people to put up the $50.00 and help support
this trip. With proper support maybe you can get more such trips in the future, without support, they will not happen.
Support doesn't mean getting in a car and chasing it on US-7 either, it means buying a ticket and riding it.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby shadyjay » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Personally, if I head down for this trip, I will pay the $50 and ride it. Fl9s would sweeten the deal and my order would be placed already. However if its behind Gennies, the thrill is less intense, not so much for me, but for my ride (who is a steam guy, but would settle for an FL9, him growing up not too far from Danbury). We can ride behind a P42 down from VT to CT whenever we want. The chance to support the DRM and get some "rare mileage" in itself is a great deal for $50.
shadyjay

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:09 pm

Whether I will ride the excurion, or not, won't be based on the power. I just want to ride on rare mileage that offers great scenery. If it's going to be a gennie, I wouldn't mind being powered by two CDOT units.
njt/mnrrbuff

Next

Return to MTA Metro-North (with CDOT)