Bonnie Cars (Boni Cars, platform extender cars)

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Bonnie Cars (Boni Cars, platform extender cars)

Postby JimmyMaBoy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:11 am

Does anyone have pictures or information of the old Bonnie Cars? Essentially, flat cars used as bridge plates that were set up when track was OOS, to assist in boarding and detraining passengers.
JimmyMaBoy

Re: MNCR "Boni" Cars...

Postby MACTRAXX » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

JMB: The term for these platform extension cars was from the Metro-North Commuter Railroad -
They were titled "Boni" cars - for the railroad manager that came up with the idea and designed
them...Post this question at the Metro-North Forum for more information about them...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Re: Bonnie Cars

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:18 pm

They were a set of flat cars,used as platform extensions,believe to ex TTX Flat cars,gaps between cars were filled in.
Backshophoss

Re: Bonnie Cars

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Moderator Note: moved to Metro-North. Lemme know if other roads used similar cars though, and if anyone wants to discuss them, we’ll open a new general topic.
mtuandrew

Re: Bonnie Cars (Boni Cars, platform extender cars)

Postby shadyjay » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:55 pm

The (relatively new) Morning Sun book "Metro North in Color" has several pictures of them on the New Haven Line in the 80s. I thought they were pretty interesting and it made me wonder why they aren't used nowadays, vs bridge plates. I figured bridge plates are more portable and able to set up "on the fly", vs flat cars, which need to be stored somewhere, then brought to the particular station in question where they're needed, etc.
shadyjay

Postby Noel Weaver » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:35 pm

I remember the "Boni" Cars. Ed Boni was the superintendent early on in Metro-North and a good one at that. This was his idea and they were used when the track outage on tracks 3 or 4 was going to be for days at a time for track work. They worked quite well but back then you had railroad people making decisions and not a bunch of political hacks like a lot of it is today.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:27 pm

I remember using them when I commuted to Manhattan in the 80's.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail