Grand Central clearance

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Grand Central clearance

Postby Ryand-Smith » Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 am

Question about Grand Central, what is the height for the tunnels entering the station, is it able to clear a NJ style Bilevel car or is it single level only.

Thank you all in advance.
Ryand-Smith

Re: Grand Central clearance

Postby DutchRailnut » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

the NJT MLV's would fit as they are same height as our Genesis locomotives. next generation of push pull cars will most likely be multilevels like the MLV's
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby Traingeek3629 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:49 am

Amtrak is doing track work along the Empire Connection, so all Amtrak trains from Albany and beyond will be heading into Grand Central. However, due to clearance issues, the Lake Shore Limited (which uses bi-level coaches) is not able to go into Grand Central, so the Lake Shore Limited will be limited to only Boston until the work is done. For the first time in XXX years, there will be no direct service between NYC and Chicago. Just so happens, I'm taking the 10:55 to Grand Central today and I'm hoping to catch an Amtrak.
TRAIN APPROACHING, PLEASE REMAIN BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE
Traingeek3629

Postby shadyjay » Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 am

The LSL operates with all single-level equipment, so, in theory, it could very well run into GCT. The issue at hand presently is there's no way for a long-distance train at the present to be serviced/stocked in GCT, such as sleepers and [what's left of the] diners. They reopened to commisary at ALB to restock GCT-ALB trains. Previous times where the "Empire Connection" was o/o/s, the LSL did a time-consuming reverse move via Penn, Hell Gate, Woodlawn, and Mott.
shadyjay

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun May 27, 2018 11:17 am

main issue for Lakeshore limited would be toilet servicing and cleaning , supplies can be brought in.
but sending a train on a long haul with non working toilets would be a no no .

DutchRailnut

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun May 27, 2018 11:18 am

but we are way of the topic of original poster as his question had nothing to do with Amtrak in GCT.

DutchRailnut

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sun May 27, 2018 11:38 am

Traingeek3629 wrote:Amtrak is doing track work along the Empire Connection, so all Amtrak trains from Albany and beyond will be heading into Grand Central. However, due to clearance issues, the Lake Shore Limited (which uses bi-level coaches) is not able to go into Grand Central, so the Lake Shore Limited will be limited to only Boston until the work is done.

It absolutely is not clearance issues, it's servicing issues like Jaap said. Viewliner prototype diner fit in Grand Central in 2012. I would have posted one of my own pictures but they were garbage, so I borrowed one from Otto
Attachments
7256170592_7d549dc98f_z.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/7256170592
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Traingeek3629 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:36 pm

I apologize; I was thinking the LSL uses superliners, which would not fit.

Edit: I did catch a couple of Amtraks in GCT today.
TRAIN APPROACHING, PLEASE REMAIN BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE
Traingeek3629

Postby Backshophoss » Sun May 27, 2018 6:56 pm

There would have been two problem,fresh supplies for the Diner and Cafe/Lounge car as well as restroom servicing(holding tanks and fresh water)
Back in the day,All NY Central LD's were dragged to MO Yard to be serviced/setup,believe Highbridge yard was unable/unwilling to handle the
the holding tank "flush out" and supply fresh water to the Lake Shores consist.hence the Boston Diversion. :(
Backshophoss

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail