Woodbury Common finally getting it's own Metro North station

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Woodbury Common finally getting it's own Metro North sta

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

CentralValleyRail wrote:I'm anti democrat but really? It's obvious as day that this needed to be done 20 years ago. $25K is chump change anyhow, that's not changing my lifestyle and especially not to someone like Cuomo.

Marco Rubio said something illuminating during the CNN Town Hall for Parkland, FL. When asked why he accepted >$3m from the NRA and if that made him their shill, he responded that he already believed in the right to own and carry assault-style weapons; the NRA was buying into HIS beliefs and not the other way around. I’m not sure how much either Rubio or Cuomo have shifted their beliefs over the years to fit their contributors, but there’s something to that statement.
mtuandrew

Postby SecaucusJunction » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Trying to get back on topic, and making the assumption that this actually does happen at some point, some thoughts.

The station would be built right in the middle of the passing siding. Trains could really arrive on any track, in any direction. I'd think an island platform would be ideal for this type of situation (if they do go ahead with high level platforms). Even the newest MTA plans for expansion keep this segment of track as a passing siding.

If they do want to turn this into a Park and Ride, could a parking lot be built on the opposite side of the tracks to gain access from the Thruway? I'd think people coming from the west on Route 17/6 would be more apt to go to Harriman.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.
SecaucusJunction

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

President Cuomo will be in his second term, before this station gets build . :-) :-) :-)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:17 pm

SecaucusJunction wrote:If they do want to turn this into a Park and Ride, could a parking lot be built on the opposite side of the tracks to gain access from the Thruway? I'd think people coming from the west on Route 17/6 would be more apt to go to Harriman.

Spacing from exit 16 would be way too close for another ramp.

As for the topic, this was more than a necessity, if there is such a thing. Woodbury Commons station will be a busy stop if built and I hope to see it get good use. It would also take some stress off Harriman.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:03 pm

I think the parking lot at Harriman Station has expanded within the decade. I believe that 17/6 go over the PJL just south of Woodbury Commons. If Woodbury Commons Station ever gets built, it will be a busy station. Not just for park n riding to the city and the mall but Harriman State Park is right there. There are a lot of trails very close to the Pt. Jervis Line.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:00 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I think the parking lot at Harriman Station has expanded within the decade. I believe that 17/6 go over the PJL just south of Woodbury Commons. If Woodbury Commons Station ever gets built, it will be a busy station. Not just for park n riding to the city and the mall but Harriman State Park is right there. There are a lot of trails very close to the Pt. Jervis Line.

I'm still the supporter of a Southfields trail stop, but regardless, I agree with you.

Harriman may need to expanded, but one would hope Woodbury station would relieve some of the stress and reduce that need.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby Max Power » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Seems to be some confusion as to who will pay for and use this proposed station:

http://www.recordonline.com/news/201803 ... in-station

Missing from Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s surprising declaration that the state is going to build a train
station at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets was this critical footnote:
The station that the outlet mecca envisions would be for the exclusive use of its customers and
employees.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post an entire article verbatim here.
Max Power

Postby truck6018 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Typical. Everyone cries "me, me, me" as far as use, but points fingers for funding.
truck6018

Postby SecaucusJunction » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 am

In the whole grand scheme of things, how much should it really cost to construct a platform and a couple shelters.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.
SecaucusJunction

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 am

since it would need to be ADA compliant, plus have lights plus probably heat , plus snow removal, maintenance etc the price tag would be a lot more than those that want the station are willing to spend .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby EuroStar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 am

ADA compliance at a station on single track like this is not expensive. It is basically just a long concrete ramp. On double tracked lines ADA compliance is a killer due to the need for elevators. If they can get away with a three car long high platform, the costs should not be too bad. That does not make it cheap, but I doubt that the cost of the platform, shelter, lights and connecting walkways will exceed $3 million. That is still a lot of money though and it is not clear to me how many shoppers coming by train you actually need to justify such an expense.
EuroStar

Postby SecaucusJunction » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 am

This station is actually in the middle of a passing siding along the Tier, so technically the train could come on either track. I believe there are scheduled meets there every day. WIth the (hopeful) increase in service over the next 5 years or so, I'd assume that siding would be even more used.

Could there be an easier solution with an island platform and pedestrian crossing (Dover, NJ comes to mind) that would use a ramp instead of elevators?
SecaucusJunction

Postby EuroStar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I did not realize the proposed area already had a passing siding. That is a problem that an island platform will not solve it. Look at Wesmont. It is an island platform, but still required two elevators to the overhead bridge. If you have an overhead bridge you definitely need the elevators given that the bridge needs to have clearance for double stack trains. In addition to that Wesmont has clearance for wires if the Bergen line ever gets electrification. Even without that extra height for wires it still seems pretty high to me for ramps. With a pedestrian tunnel under the tracks the required clearance is much less, so ramps might work. But tunnels are expensive -- that is why all new construction has involved overpasses.

I am unsure why but I am pretty certain that pedestrians crossing at grade are not being built any more (Teterboro could have used one given that the station is on the opposite side of the residential neighbourhood). NJT is even trying to close the existing one at Ho-Ho-Kus and would gladly eliminate the one at Hawthorne if there was a cheap way to do so. Dover benefits from the existing street crossing as does Plauderville. Is there a street crossing close to the proposed Woodbury platform? No. In fact that is one of the reasons why the double track is there -- there are no crossing. Also note how the double track begins after Harriman station -- otherwise the station will need two platforms and an ADA compliant way to connect them. Additionally note how the proposed future addition of more passing sidings on the line are away from any of the stations -- in order to avoid the cost of modifying the stations which triggers ADA and the need for elevators.
EuroStar

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Southeast(Brewster North) was setup with a ramp and gated crossing when build during the 3rd rail extension project on the Harlem Line.
That is an island platform,believe Wilton on the Danbury Branch, was done that way as well.
Backshophoss

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 pm

EuroStar wrote:INJT is even trying to close the existing one at Ho-Ho-Kus and would gladly eliminate the one at Hawthorne if there was a cheap way to do so. Dover benefits from the existing street crossing as does Plauderville.
When the new high level platform at Dover was built in the mid 1990s, a new ADA compliant pedestrian grade crossing was built at east end by the ticket office instead of elevators and overpass.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail