Metro North White Plains-Electric or Diesel

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Metro North White Plains-Electric or Diesel

Postby AlanR » Sun May 14, 2017 9:41 pm

I will be moving to White Plains soon and I am having trouble getting an answer to a Metro North related question:

When a Metro North train stops at or just passes through the White Plains Metro North station, is it electric or diesel powered? The academic in me is intensely curious so many thanks for any help you can give me in answering the question.

AHR
AlanR

Re: Metro North White Plains-Electric or Diesel

Postby Backshophoss » Sun May 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Just about every train stops at White Plains Station, 90% are EMU's(M-3's/M-7's)some are diesel powered.
There are a few EXPRESS trains that skip the station stop at White Plains.
You can get the entire Harlem Line Schedule as a pdf file from the MTA site.
Backshophoss

Postby shadyjay » Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 pm

I believe the only trains that run on electric (third rail) through White Plains are M.U. trains (M-3s or M-7s). The push-pull trains (locomotive-hauled coaches) are running on diesel power through White Plains until reaching 125th st in Manhattan.
shadyjay

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 pm

think I ran out of face palm pictures ?? all are MU except the thru trains going to or from wassaic.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Mon May 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Ok, so in plain English: Look at a timetable - if it starts in Wassaic or Wassaic is the final destination it's diesel. If the train goes to/from Southeast or North White it's electric.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby checkthedoorlight » Tue May 16, 2017 3:25 pm

There's an exception to this rule. 509 and 534 consistently runs with maxi bombs for godonlyknowswhy....
checkthedoorlight

Postby TDowling » Wed May 17, 2017 8:38 pm

I believe the only times that diesels run through WP are during the rush hours...someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
TDowling

Postby NaugyRR » Thu May 18, 2017 8:20 am

I don't believe that's true, I've been on through trains both in-and-outbound during the off-peak
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby RearOfSignal » Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm

TDowling wrote:I believe the only times that diesels run through WP are during the rush hours...someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

943 is the only off-peak diesel that runs through White Plains on the weekday. There are also a couple of them on weekends going in. I think only 1 going out in the afternoon though.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!
RearOfSignal

Postby rr503 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 am

DutchRailnut wrote:think I ran out of face palm pictures ?? all are MU except the thru trains going to or from wassaic.

Wow. Way to answer a perfectly valid question...

Yes, as previous posters have said, most are electrics. Third rail ends at Southeast, so north of there, diesel power has to be used. Most of MN's diesel fleet has electric pickup shoes too, so they can run on 3rd rail into GCT.

If you ever see a train, it's pretty easy to tell if they're electric or not. All diesels have a discernible locomotive and cars, while the electrics will look like a bunch of cars moving along without an engine.

Hope I've been helpful!

Here are some pics

Diesel:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Gene ... sining.jpg

Electric:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_(railcar)#/media/File%3AMNCR_M7A_Univ_hts.JPG

Or

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1/M3_(railcar)#/media/File%3AM3-Harmon.jpg
rr503

Postby Tadman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:30 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:think I ran out of face palm pictures ?? all are MU except the thru trains going to or from wassaic.

mod note
Dutch, original poster is a new member and obviously not a railroader. Observe the golden rule, please.
Tadman

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail