Metro-North Hudson Line Electrification

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Metro-North Hudson Line Electrification

Postby Thunderbolt78YT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 pm

So I know that south of Croton-Harmon, on the Hudson Line, there is 700V DC Third Rail Electrification. But I just recently found out that the Northbound Express Track (Track 1) is not electrified. Is this true for all locations between Croton-Harmon and the DV Interlocking (Where Amtrak and Metro-North join)? Thanks!
Thunderbolt78YT

Re: Metro-North Hudson Line Electrification

Postby truck6018 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 am

CP19 (north of Greystone) and south is.
truck6018

Postby Thunderbolt78YT » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:14 pm

So Track 1 is not electrified between Greystone and Croton-Harmon, but south of Greystone is electrified?
Thunderbolt78YT

Postby RearOfSignal » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Track 1 is not electrified between CP 19 and 25 and between CP 26 and 33.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!
RearOfSignal

Postby fredmcain » Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 am

I seem to vaguely remember that ALL FOUR tracks were once electrified but M-N removed one of the tracks in the 1980s, I think, then Amtrak made a stink about it. They may have later, at Amtrak's insistance, restored the track that had been removed but evidently they did not electrify it. Does anybody know if that theory is correct?

Regards,
Fred M. Cain
Fred M. Cain,
New Haven Railroad fan
Not afraid to use my own name
fredmcain

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 am

Fred you got story backwards, MN wanted to remove track 1, Amtrak and Conrail balked and went to court.
MN got ordered to leave track but since at that time MN had no real interest in 4 tracks the third rail was removed.
over years some third rail was put back for projects like retaining walls etc .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby fredmcain » Tue May 09, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks, Dutch, I knew it was something like that but I was having trouble remembering for sure. I thought they had actually removed the track for a while. I used to live in the Northeast and I remember reading about the suit you mentioned in the news.

Unfortunately, M-N WAS successful in removing one of the tracks on the New Haven line in places between South Norwalk and West Haven. I think they may have restored some of it but not all of it the way it looks.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain,
New Haven Railroad fan
fredmcain

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am

The 4th main track on the New Haven was removed between the split for the Waterbury Branch at Devon through Milford to Woodmont in the early. Between Woodmont and New Haven the track was left in place but downgraded for freight service only, with the wire removed. New Haven to Woodmont was rewired and restored to service as part of the reopening of West Haven as a passenger station in the early 2010's. Woodmont-Devon remains 3-track however when the overpasses in downtown Milford were rebuilt in (I think) the 1990's they were built to 4-track width. The only actual encroachment on the Track 4 trackway is the westbound platform at Milford.

I'm not entirely sure whether the removal of Track 4 was a Metro-North or a Conrail initiative-- it happened right around the time MN was being formed.
Ridgefielder

Postby fredmcain » Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Ridgefielder wrote: I'm not entirely sure whether the removal of Track 4 was a Metro-North or a Conrail initiative-- it happened right around the time MN was being formed.

I made numerous trips over the New Haven line 1980 - 1985 and I recall seeing the north track out of service but I don't think it'd been removed at that time. I had hoped at the time that they had only taken it out of service for maintenance but later it turned out that my worst fears were realized.

Now there is evidently a plan to reinstate the removed track so the platform at Milford will have to be moved again. This plan is "rapidly" moving forward along with the Danbury Line re-electrification, i.e., not real fast. See my recent post under the Danbury Line Electrification thread.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain,
New Haven Railroad fan
fredmcain

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue May 09, 2017 5:28 pm

problem with moving platfirm in Milford is they will loose a * load of parking and no room to replace it.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Noel Weaver » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Milford is probably not alone with this problem. The only way they will ever solve it if they can is to build more parking garages, the only way they can go is up. They have to give up on ugliness and build them or the issue will never improve. Stamford, Bridgeport and New Haven have them and they can swallow up a lot of parked cars.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed May 10, 2017 6:40 am

New Rochelle also went the way of the parking garage. It's now part of the New Rochelle Transportation Center.
Rockingham Racer

Postby deathtopumpkins » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 am

DutchRailnut wrote:problem with moving platfirm in Milford is they will loose a * load of parking and no room to replace it.

27 parking spaces (incl. 4 handicapped).

That's not an unreasonable number to lose, especially given the fact that parking at Milford was just expanded, and the relative ease with which you could relocate those spaces.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am

Ahem...Metro-North Hudson Line Electrification...not parking sucks in Milford...

Let's get back on topic folks.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby TDowling » Thu May 11, 2017 4:25 am

How unfeasible is complete electrification on the line to Poughkeepsie? I know riders who could benefit from such an improvement, although I am fully aware of the cost-benefit analyses and jurisdictional issues as they pertain to emu service upstate. I imagine also that emus would suffer enormous wear and tear.
TDowling

Next

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail